I've been through so many cables. I've been using Elixirs which are good, but too long, and get tangled and it's annoying, as I'm only playing in my bedroom. My questions are...

1. Do shorter cables actually help prevent signal loss as they are shorter?
2. What are some good shortish cables (like 5ft) - I don't want any cheap rubbish, I'll happily pay anything up to £25 each if they are good.

Thanks
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
1. Yes, they do. Signal loss results from the capacitance of the cable, which is directly related to the length, so a 10 foot cable will have twice the capacitance of a 5 foot cable of the same brand.
2. Planet waves makes a good cable. If you want a really nice cable, http://lavacable.com/ is the place to go. The Lava ELC would be in your price range, though 5 feet is a pretty short cable if you're playing anywhere but a bedroom.
Quote by Roc8995
1. Yes, they do. Signal loss results from the capacitance of the cable, which is directly related to the length, so a 10 foot cable will have twice the capacitance of a 5 foot cable of the same brand.
2. Planet waves makes a good cable. If you want a really nice cable, http://lavacable.com/ is the place to go. The Lava ELC would be in your price range, though 5 feet is a pretty short cable if you're playing anywhere but a bedroom.

Thanks man, that's exactly what I needed to know. Currently I'm just playing in my bedroom and it's a pretty small one, so 5ft should be plenty. I'll look into Lav's, I've been using Planet Waves patch cables and they seem to be good so I'll have a look into them as well.
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
check out award session and kabl. both custom made, both good quality (neutrik jacks, van damme cable for cleartone, klotz la grange (or its replacement) for kabl).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I like those super short (and cheap) pedal board cables found in those buckets at the accessory counter at Guitar Center. I like them because the connectors are super flat and lay flush with the side of the pedal.

FYI- If you have a pedal or two with a decent bypass buffer (not true bypass) in the signal chain, length is generally a non issue.
Quote by Dave_Mc
check out award session and kabl. both custom made, both good quality (neutrik jacks, van damme cable for cleartone, klotz la grange (or its replacement) for kabl).

I can vouch for award session; great company to deal with and great prices..

If I'm reading this correctly, this "Kabl" sell klotz? Is this in the uk? Prices? link? The only places selling klotz over here I ever see have them pre-packaged at obscene prices. My cables are towards their last legs after about 3 years of quality service.

EDIT: I'd avoid planet waves; unless your rig is inherently very bright and has way too much of a kick in the upper-mid ~3khz range (even then I'd rather use better cables and some sort of EQ personally.)
For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Last edited by power freak at Jun 30, 2010,
yo lewis

i haven't tried klotz yet, or used kabl (i know you've used klotz, lewis). I think kabl is a similar idea to award session, they're made to order with neutrik jacks and klotz ac-110 (supposedly it sounds identical to la grange, haven't tried either)

http://www.wix.com/kablkabl/kabl

the guy who makes them is a regular on the musicradar forum, and i think he registered here too.

EDIT: yeah, planet waves are rubbish, the ones I've tried, anyway. paying £10 or £12 for cleartones/klotz or £20 for planetwaves which sound way worse is a fairly easy decision.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 30, 2010,
Quote by Dave_Mc
yo lewis

i haven't tried klotz yet, or used kabl (i know you've used klotz, lewis). I think kabl is a similar idea to award session, they're made to order with neutrik jacks and klotz ac-110 (supposedly it sounds identical to la grange, haven't tried either)

http://www.wix.com/kablkabl/kabl

the guy who makes them is a regular on the musicradar forum, and i think he registered here too.

EDIT: yeah, planet waves are rubbish, the ones I've tried, anyway. paying £10 or £12 for cleartones/klotz or £20 for planetwaves which sound way worse is a fairly easy decision.

Cheers Dave.

Those are some mighty fine prices right there! Much cheaper than anywhere else I've seen, will definitely have to purchase some replacements in the near future! Probably have to test-run it first to make sure the AC110 stuff sounds close enough to the la-grange.

And yeah, at the moment the cable from my guitar to first pedal is la-grange and it's by far the best sounding cable I've ever used (and that includes some pretty pricey cables like the Cornish one) Evidence are in second place but they're a bit "fluffier" in the mid range, for lack of a better term. The problem with both of those is they're quite stiff though (the evidence more so) you have to be quite cautious when rolling them up.

The cables from my board to amp is plain vanilla award session, if you prefer a bit of capacitance in your cable (some people say low capacitance cables sound too "unnatural" or "hollow") it's a good choice. All my patch cables are george l's just because they're easy and reasonably cheap, as a cable from guitar to pedals or pedals to amp the top end gets too scream-y for me. I did play at a jam night with a Jem + george l's + ENGL screamer once though and that set up really works for a "Vai-ish" screaming sort of tone (but not much else to my ear)

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
yeah, i'm still with bog standard award session, I've been meaning to try some of those kabl/klotz ones but haven't got round to it yet (as usual) I'm well aware that the award session aren't the best cables out there, but they're good, and they're cheap, which is the main thing that got me to upgrade my crappy old cables in the first place (had they been £50 each, which guitar shop prices would lead you to believe you have to spend to get decent cables, I most likely wouldn't have bothered).

Plus I ordered all my cleartones before I found out about the kabl ones anyway
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Evening gentlemen,

Just to let you know that Klotz AC110 is EXACTLY the same as La Grange. Klotz just decided to re-market it for some reason?

Maybe ZZ Top threatened legal action?
I have a 10 foot Planet Waves cable and it hasn't given me the slightest bit of trouble since I bought it back around 3 years ago.

Other than that I would go with Mogami, or Livewire (cheap and can be taken apart and repaired easily). Or you could make your own cable for much cheaper by just buying the end jacks and the cable itself.