im having a little trouble practicing triplets to a metronome, because i cant seem to grasp the rhythm right away. For example in a lick like this:
(high e)
-15--12--14--12--15--12--17--12--etc..

its obviously easy to play the notes as quarters and eighths, but like i said im having trouble grasping the rhythm to play them as triplets and even extending it futher like groupts of 6 (sixtuplets). How should i practice this?
try with single notes first then move on to stuff like that at the same speed. that should help you grasp the concept.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
well yeah that is what I do, but when i play without the playback i get confused :S .wierd.
Quote by Templar0220
well yeah that is what I do, but when i play without the playback i get confused :S .wierd.

try to integrate it into your improv jams. eventually(hopefully) you'll play it and have an "Aha!" moment
That's a good idea.
Put in some regular timed parts and mix it with middle.
You'll see the contrast more.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
maybe you need to work on getting your upstrokes feel as natural as your downstrokes do. ever do those chromatic exercises? 1234 1234 1234? try starting on an upstroke.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Check it out.

Count eighth notes as: 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and
Count sixteenth notes as: 1 and then a 2 and then a 3 and then a 4 and then a
Count eighth note triplets as : 1 and a 2 and a 3 and a 4 and a

Once you understand that, put the metronome on 60 BPM. Practice strumming quarter notes first with all down strokes. Now, add the up stroke in to get your eighth note feel.

Now, the important part: practice switching back and forth between eighth note and eighth note triplet feel.

After that, practice switching back and forth between eighth note triplet and sixteenth note feel.

If you do this for 5 minutes a day, your brain should get the triplet feel on auto-pilot within a week.
You can also try using a word along side your playing to get the timing. Triplet for instance. Say it like "Trip - el - et". Get saying it in the right timing and then you'll be able to hit the notes right while saying it.
Ok i think i might be starting to build a basic feel for it now, i just want to be able to play it naturally without really thinking about it
Like I said, 5-10 minutes a day doing the "rhythm pyramid" exercise I described will help your picking or strumming timing out immensely.
Quote by STONESHAKER

Count eighth note triplets as : 1 and a 2 and a 3 and a 4 and a

This is what I did to practice Triplets. Also, Be sure to tap your foot, count out loud, and go slow. Sounds boring, but it helps you get the hang of it quicker.