I have been using a lot of open and alternate tunings, lately.
Some days I will change the tuning a few times.

Right now I'm tuned to D-A-D-D-D-D and having a blast with it.
I am using an acoustic guitar.

Anyone else do this?
not really. i dont like to use to many different tunings because it changes how the scales are laid out on the neck and changes how i play lead. so ive just never got into them much.

ill use open tunings for slide, but most of the time i just play slide in standard. sometimes ill use drop tunings but thats about it.
Every now and then, yes.

But then I start thinking that I'm cheating, and I tune the guitar back to normal, and try to figure out the alternate-tuning stuff in normal tuning.
You're not cheating I assure you. As for figuring out the alt tuning stuff in standard...no way. Alternate tunings just have a tone that can not be found in standard. For example; D chord in DADGAD tuning just sounds so much more than in standard.

Keep doing what you do, though.

But that is one reason why I started to explore alt. tunings. There is a cool program out there (forgot the actual name) that will transcribe scales over into any custom tuning you wish. Pretty useful, although some of them are actually off.
Last edited by c_foster88 at Jun 30, 2010,
Quote by Sean0913
Hawaiian Slack Key Guitarists.

Yes. I understand that term, but what are you saying?
Quote by Joshua1207
That tunning reminded me of the Ostrich tunning http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostrich_guitar

Haha. Yeah. It would be if I didn't leave the A as is. I'm still tuned to DADDDD. Working on a song at the moment in the tuning. Gives you a really nice, big sound. Kind of like Goo Goo Dolls in a way.

DADDDD rings beautifully on the acoustic.
Well, decided to go back to standard tuning and was taking the first string back up to E, from D, and it snapped on me. Luckily, I had a spare high E on hand. I was in standard for about a 25 minutes and decided to drop it down a whole step to DGCFAD.

Having a little fun with DGCFAD now.

Might leave it at that for a few days. If I want to go to regular standard, can always use capo on 2nd fret. Means I'll lose a couple of frets, but I'll probably just stick to this deep, full tone of a whole step down. Loving it.
Quote by c_foster88
Yes. I understand that term, but what are you saying?

Things you describe especially for Acoustic are things that have been passed down for generations to Hawaiian Slack Key Guitarists.

There are tunings such as Taro Patch, Wahine, Mauna Loa etc, that are in some cases along the ideas/lines of your own tuning example. Also there are some tunings which are kept secret and revealed only within the family, and passed from one generation to the next. Its quite a secretive world in many ways.

As an aside, Crosby Stills and Nash have songs where the tunings are very similar...and as others have mentioned, the Goo Goo Dolls also.

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jul 2, 2010,
Pillo, that was just bad ass. Thanks for the link. Glad to see it isn't just metal-heads here.
Well, I'm in Drop-D now (DADGBE). On the acoustic of course.

I've seen a lot of people put down Drop-D just because it's easier to make power chords. I don't use it for that.

You can get some pretty bad ass country-fried sounding licks in drop-D.
Also messed around with John Mayer's "Your Body is a Wonderland" and currently writing some pretty cool riffs. Drop-D is fun. Not sure how long I will be in standard and drop-D. Might go back to DADDDD sometime today.
You should try tuning fully in fourths (EADGCF), some people like it for full symmetry at the risk of losing some ability to play chords.

If you want a hardcore tuning though, try tuning in fifths for super extended range and a brand new fretboard layout (CGDAEB) You probably will need a different set of gauges for it though
The most alternate tunings I ever do is I tune the 6th, 5th, and 4th strings in fifths, and lower the 1st string a step. From standard it'd look like this:

D
G
B
D
G
C

This is a fun one. Right now I'm in what I call Dropped Octave Half Step Down(cause I have no other name for it! AHA!)

Eb
Gb
Bb
Db
Ab
Ab

SikTh use this tuning a lot.
Quote by Pillo114
You should try tuning fully in fourths (EADGCF), some people like it for full symmetry at the risk of losing some ability to play chords.

If you want a hardcore tuning though, try tuning in fifths for super extended range and a brand new fretboard layout (CGDAEB) You probably will need a different set of gauges for it though

I'll have to try the perfect fourths.
Will also try CGDAEB.