Hey guys,

Just want to get a general opinion on the Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue amp. For those of you who don't know the specs, check them out here:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Blues-Deluxe-Reissue-40W-1x12-Combo-Amp?sku=483718

I'm in the market for a nice, all-tube amp with a warm, sparkling clean sound with great sustain. I live in an apartment, so I can't go too high with wattage, and 40W tube seems reasonable. I play a lot of classic rock (think Zep, Hendrix, Floyd, etc.), newer rock (RHCP, Arctic Monkeys, Bombastic Meatbats, Incubus, KoL), Blues/Rock (Clapton, John Mayer), plenty of other genres, but mostly centered around rock style and sound. So I'm looking for an amp that can do all this. I'm planning on expanding my pedalboard drastically in the next year or so, but I wouldn't mind an amp with a nice tube O/D or distortion. I'm currently playing a Gibson Les Paul Custom and will be adding a Fender American Vintage '62 Strat as soon as it's built and shipped to me.

I've been looking into the following amps (rough CAD prices are included):
- Fender Twin Reverb ($1500-$2000; I LOVE Fender's clean sounds)
- Marshall JTM series ($1500+; I really like the distortion sound from Marshalls)
- Orange Rockerverb ($2200+; Love how warm of a sound this has)
- Vox AC30 ($1000+; Not too sure about this one. It's a little highs-heavy for me)

I apologize for the long post, so down to business. I've found a local ad for the Fender Blues. It's going for $550 but I've talked him down to $500. I don't know if they're still making these any more, but I haven't seen any in stores. Every review I've read has RAVED about this amp. I'd like to know what you guys think about it, and whether it's worth the $500 price tag. I have a feeling I could talk him down to $450, but definitely not lower than that. Thanks for you help guys!
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
All 4 of the amps you listed will be blistering loud for apartment only use.

My opinion of the Fender Reissues is that they are not that good <flameshield>

If you prefer the Marshally overdrive then find an amp that can do that well and 'generally' has EL34 power tubes.

Marshall cleans and Fender cleans are totally different though so you may need to bone up on the differences. Marshall (EL34) is more of british amp tone (Zep/Hendrix/Floyd/RHCP/Incubus). Fender (6L6) is more of an american amp tone (Clapton/Mayer).

(this is just in general guys to give him an idea so don't get your panties in wad)

40 watts of tube power is more than enough to gig with so I'm talking really loud here. Most of the music you listed gets its Overdrive sound from the power tubes vs preamp tubes (ie Metal).

I would suggest something in the 5w - 30w range.

Look at the new Egnater Tweaker. You can put in EL84s or 6L6s very easily. It also has a Brit/Am switch along with some other tone switches. Very versatile and not a gimmick like some other amps. It does not however have a clean channel but my experience with it is that you don't need one.

gregs1020?

Also, here is a little guide I like to follow:

Budget?
Genres? We got that
New or Used?
Home or Gig (jam with a drumer)? Home only right?
Current gear?
Closest city?
In my opinion, the Blues Deluxe has pretty great cleans, a Fender Twin's are better, but the Blues is never the less, very impressive. The amp has a nice reverb too.

On the other hand, the gain channel is completly useless in my opinion, unless you want to play very slightly distorted blues with it. It's also much louder than you may think, and so playing it in an apartment might be a pain. Another thing, these amps arn't actually designed to get really distorted, I've tried distortion pedals through them before and just didn't think that they sounded that good, it might be the speaker, but if you replace the speaker, the cleans won't be the same.

Basically:

If you want a clean amp = awsome.
If you want a distorted amp = look elsewhere.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
The Fender will be a fantastic base tone to add pedals to later. It'll do John Mayer fantastically, but may struggle classic/modern rock without a boost.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
The Fender will be a fantastic base tone to add pedals to later. It'll do John Mayer fantastically, but may struggle classic/modern rock without a boost.

I tried a Blackstar HT Dual tube distortion pedal through the Hot Rod version (same speaker) and it just didn't sound right, wasn't powerfull enough, lacked something.

I've heard that same pedal through different amps, and it sounded amazing, awsome pedal.

It all depends on how overdriven you want to get I suppose.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove
I tried a Blackstar HT Dual tube distortion pedal through the Hot Rod version (same speaker) and it just didn't sound right, wasn't powerfull enough, lacked something.

I've heard that same pedal through different amps, and it sounded amazing, awsome pedal.

It all depends on how overdriven you want to get I suppose.

Really? I tried a regular TS9 through the HRD, I thought it sounded beautiful. But, maybe I wasn't going for as much overdrive as you? I dunno.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Yeah, it could be that, I wasn't going for metal or anything, just nice heavy rock distortion.

By all means it didn't sound terrible or anything, I'm just saying it might leave something to be desired.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Also, here is a little guide I like to follow:

Budget?
Genres? We got that
New or Used?
Home or Gig (jam with a drumer)? Home only right?
Current gear?
Closest city?

Thanks for the input. I much prefer Fender cleans, but Marshall dirty sounds. The thing is, I want a sparkling clean sound at the moment. I've played through a Fender Twin Reverb and Marshall JCM DSL many, many times. I appreciate the difference, and ideally I would like to own one of each, and probably will some day. But, as you said, the wattages of those models isn't practical for me ATM. In terms of tone, I'm more than willing to put some pedals in front of it to give me the sound I want. I'm also not opposed to modding my amp in any way to get the tone I want. I want that Fender tube sound for my cleans, which are most important to me right now. I can always get pedals to change my sound, and I will buy a Marshall when I have the money.

To your guidelines:

Budget: ATM, <$600 CAD. Willing to wait and save up $2000 for new amp if it's worth it. Budget isn't an issue. I don't mind getting a good amp for the time being. I will eventually get my dream amps. I'm a grad student, only able to bank a hundred bucks or so each month.

New or Used: Either. As long as it's working perfectly and has a good tone

Home or Gig: Both. I do a lot of home recording, and am planning on mic'ing my amp to run through my interface. But I'm sick of using my computer's digital amp modellers. I also jam w/ some friends occasionally.

Current Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Vintage '62 Strat
Fender Champ 15
Fender Performer 1000 through Fender FM412

Closest City: Toronto. A few good guitar shops in my area.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone

Sorry for the double post. Didn't see this until after my last one.

I will buy pedals for diversity. The amp just needs to have a nice clean tone. It's that clean, Fender, tube sound I'm after.

I shouldn't have added the info about those 4 amps. Those are amps I would like to eventually buy, and I thought that would help people get the sort of sounds I'm after and be able to answer whether this amp would get me to any of those sounds (obv. it would get me the Fender sound, but could I get to those other classic sounds out of this amp with pedals?)
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Personally, if I wanted a Fender tube clean sound and I was okay with pedals for distortion, and I was planning on getting a different amp in the future, I would buy a Fender Blues Junior.

They're louder than you think, loud enough for gigging (especially miced) and they're quiet enough for home use.
Quote by FuzzLove
Personally, if I wanted a Fender tube clean sound and I was okay with pedals for distortion, and I was planning on getting a different amp in the future, I would buy a Fender Blues Junior.

They're louder than you think, loud enough for gigging (especially miced) and they're quiet enough for home use.

OK thanks. Obviously I'm planning on trying it out before I buy it. No point in buying an amp if I don't like it.

How about the price? Is that reasonable?

I just checked out the Egnater Tweaker. Seems cool and versatile, but the tones weren't that great, IMO.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
In my opinions, if you want Fender cleans, stay away from Egnater.
Quote by FuzzLove
In my opinions, if you want Fender cleans, stay away from Egnater.

Why do you say that. The Renegade AND the Tweaker are very very cool amps. Nice drive and clean tones. Brit to American. Boom. Flip of switch.

Agreed - they are still not Fender cleans.

+1 to the Traynor idea. You are in Canada TS and that is where Traynors are made. I'd look for a Traynor YCV50 Blue or a an Egnater Tweaker.

Hit up the Toronoto craigslist too, there should be tons of stuff used to look at.
I just bought the fender hot rod deluxe yesterday because my basman head through my marshall avt 4x12 was way too loud for my bedroom................................................................................................................................................The 40w HRD is just as loud.Yep thats right,the 40w 1x12 amp I bought too get the same sound as a 50w bassman through a 4x12 cab for bedroom level decibles is just as loud.I realistically cant get the master past 3 and thats preety fricken loud.Huh,go figure. But I will say it sounds awsome.And the reverb is really nice to have. If you want somthing just as good but a lot less db's.Get the blues jr.15w is all you need....really. Now if you want a good deal on the amp and dont want used or mail order,musician's friend has some 15% off deal right now and since guitar center ownes them they will match the price.Also look for reduced prices on floor models or ask about them.I got my HRD from GC for $500 because it was a floor modle that had been there a while (never owned).That was better than the 15% off by a $100. Hope this helps.Good luck.
Thanks for everyone's help. I took 311ZOSOVHJH's advice and tried out the Egnator Tweaker amp at a local guitar shop tonight. I was blown away by how versatile this amp was, but not by it's tone. While it did "model" the typical Fender, Marshall, and Vox tones, it just didn't do it for me. I felt like it was trying too hard to be other amps, and it didn't have that great overall tone that I'm looking for. The store I was at also had a Vox Night Train with a Vox V112 cab. I tried that combination out, and WOWWWWW. Exactly the tone I was looking for. I couldn't believe all the different sounds I could get out of it, just from playing around with it for a couple hours. After some haggling, I talked the store manager down to $400 CAD for the head with cab. Sick deal for an all-tube amp IMO. And I think the 15W tube is much more practical for my living situation. I'm heading back there this weekend to pick it up. I'll post a review sometime next week. Thanks again for the input guys!
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Awesome.

Night Train is a cool amp too. I'm glad you like it. I like the Tweaker better

Both are 15w

I'll look for your NAD

I did really like the Tweaker, though, I have to say that. It was probably one of the most versatile, natural amps I've found. The cleans just weren't what I was looking for. I'm glad you replied today. Otherwise I wouldn't have found my way to that store and found this sweet amp. So excited!!!!!!!
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Not ATM. I do have a Fender FM412 cab that is believe is compatible with this amp (amp has 8 ohm output, 4X12 speakers are 8 ohm). The sound out of the Vox 1x12 is WAYYY better than the Fender 4x12, so for recording I can use the Vox cab, but for jamming/gigging, I could use the 4x12.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
TBH, I've never checked. Here's the link for specs:

http://support.fender.com/manuals/manuals_elec/guitarpdf//FM_412.pdf

According to this, the speakers are 4 ohm. That wouldn't work, would it?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
I don't think it does. The Vox website says it can handle 8 ohm and 16 ohm loads. I don't know much about this stuff. I do know that my Fender Performer 1000 head does NOT match my FM412 (pretty sure it's switchable between 8 ohm and 16 ohm)., but I haven't had any problems.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
yeah, total load of your cab is 4 ohms, not 4 ohm speakers.

NT running at 8 ohms into a 4 ohm cab is probably not a good idea for the long term. Your best bet is to sell the FM412, the Performer, and possibly your new 1x12 cab and get a decent 212 cab that will work for everything.

that's what I would do
Yeah, I was thinking that as well. With this amp, I really have no use for the 100W SS amp. I do really like the 1x12 Vox cab with the amp (it's not the V112NT, it's the V112). I guess I'll see how it goes. I'm not desperate for louder sounds ATM, just worried about tone. Will the 2X12 give me a different tone, or just a louder volume?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
OK. Just out of curiosity, what kind of 2x12 would you recommend?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
I have an Avatar and like it a lot.

Not sure what would be the ultimate cab for you but you can look for Mesa, Marshall, Lopoline, Orange, Traynor, Laney, Egnater, as well.

Speakers will be most important so you'll just have to ask what various cabs have that you come across.
various stuff I found

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/drh/msg/1790731331.html
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/mss/msg/1816794711.html - that is how much they are new in US loaded
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/msg/1816381693.html
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/msg/1815344639.html
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/msg/1805438627.html
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/msg/1790680815.html

i'm about to shut down for night but I need to review what kinds of music you play mostly to determine what kind of speakers and open vs closed back, 2x12 vs 2x10 vs 1x12 etc.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
various stuff I found

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/drh/msg/1790731331.html
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/mss/msg/1816794711.html - that is how much they are new in US loaded
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/msg/1816381693.html
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/msg/1815344639.html
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/msg/1805438627.html
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/msg/1790680815.html

i'm about to shut down for night but I need to review what kinds of music you play mostly to determine what kind of speakers and open vs closed back, 2x12 vs 2x10 vs 1x12 etc.

Those are all out of my price range, now that I've just bought a new amp, but something to look into for sure. To get my style, my favourite guitarists are John Frusciante, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, David Gilmore, Eric Clapton, and Joe Satriani. I especially like Frusciante's tone, and how David Gilmore can make a note seem to last forever. Not sure if that helps you at all.

We really need to change the name of this thread hahahaha. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with the Blues Deluxe any more.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
HNAD
And about the cabs, if $250 is out of budget atm I would keep using the 112 until you have enough money to get a good 212 like an Avatar
Nothing wrong with running a 112 setup, I do atm, it's just imo 212s sound better
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
Yea, sounds good. I'm not really in a rush to get a 212, I'm not playing any gigs ATM. Now that I have a sweet-sounding amp with a decent Vox 112 cab, I can wait and save up money before buying a new one. I wanna do some research about speakers as well. Know of any good resources online? It's just too bad my 4x12 is only 4 ohm...
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
You could rewire it if you're any good at that sort of thing?
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
I'm not opposed to learning. My dad's really good with that sort of stuff too, and since he's retiring soon he's been looking for some projects to take on hahaha. Then again, I think a 2x12 would better suit my needs. I'm not going to be playing any large outdoor gigs. A 1x12 is perfect for bedroom use, and a 2x12 should be able to project through a bar or an indoor gig, especially if it's mic'ed.

Thanks for the advice everyone! Finally happy with my set-up. For now...
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58