So i want to order a custom built guitar in the uk, prs style. I tried a PRS 513 with brazillian rosewood neck, and it was just amazing. I cant spend that kind of money and wouldnt, however.

Is Indian rosewood a good alternative? I really want a very resonant & versatile guitar which i can do most styles of music with.
Most of the rosewood is hype, like Brazilian rosewood being miles better. However some of it is true, albeit over-exaggerated. Madagascar rosewood is probably the best alternative, followed by Cocobolo. They all have the same general tone, and the differences are really only noticeable in rosewood-backed acoustic guitars (let alone solid body necks)

Costwise, you're probably better with Indian Rosewood. Great tonewood and not noticeably different. Next step up tonally is Madagascar, and I think it looks better too.
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Quote by bingeandletgo
Most of the rosewood is hype, like Brazilian rosewood being miles better. However some of it is true, albeit over-exaggerated. Madagascar rosewood is probably the best alternative, followed by Cocobolo. They all have the same general tone, and the differences are really only noticeable in rosewood-backed acoustic guitars (let alone solid body necks)

Costwise, you're probably better with Indian Rosewood. Great tonewood and not noticeably different. Next step up tonally is Madagascar, and I think it looks better too.

Ive never heard of madagascar rosewood is it expensive in the UK?

Also re the great build quality etc of the 513...how come ive never felt anything good about 'cheaper' PRS guitars like the custom 24?
Quote by Sir-Shredalot
Ive never heard of madagascar rosewood is it expensive in the UK?

Also re the great build quality etc of the 513...how come ive never felt anything good about 'cheaper' PRS guitars like the custom 24?

Do you actually want to build this yourself or do you want someone to build it for you?

JS Custom on here, has stopped building for the moment. He used lots of rosewood and even built a whole guitar out of it once (or twice)

As for prices Mad. Rosewood.

This is wood "in the rough" so would need to be squared up etc.

The smallest you could get is about right at 3inches wide by 3 feet long and in varying grades of figure.

Price is by cubic foot which is 1728 cubic inches.
So you need to work out the size of the board you want in cubic inches and then from that, find the price. (price per cubic foot / 1728) x board size in cubic inches

So with some rounding, a 3x36 by 28mm board of highest figuring at 115 cubic inches in volume and £395 per cubic foot, would cost you about £26 plus the VAT
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Jul 2, 2010,