I play all kinds of music, from metal, rock and alt-rock to blues and jazz. I currently have an Ibanez S320 (I think I can't tell the difference between the S320 and the S420, whichevers the cheapest , and find that the stock pups - INF1 + INF2 - are pretty bad and too muddy for my liking now. So, I'm looking for pickups with great, high output and just raw power, but not too expensive.

I was looking at the Bare Knuckle and Rio Grande pups, and while they're probably what I'm looking for, probably a little out of my price range. So I decided to look at DiMarzio and came across the Evolution pups, which after reading reviews gathered are great for lead and such - but do they carry the punch in rhythm, if you understand me? It's quite hard to explain, but my questions really is: what decent but relatively cheap pickups are there for rock with a nice raw tone/sound? I was also looking at the P90s, but am worried I won't like the sound once my guitar has had routing work done.

Cheers!
What amp do you have now?

What is your budget?

Would you be routing for the P90 only or do you have other work to be done?

I'm only familiar with the Duncan stuff but I can also recommend Rockmonkey pups and getting in touch with ragingkitty (UGr) as he is a pup expert.
I think knowing what amp you have would make a big difference. You've got a mahogany guitar, likely a maple neck, floating trem right? Dimarzio Evolutions are for very precise serious players, the harmonics and ridiculous and if you are sloppy they will sound terrible, they are mainly made for lead playing. If I had your guitar I would put an air norton in the neck and for the bridge I'd go either Dimarzio Breed, or Seymour Duncan Custom. You might want to see what you can find used, I've had great success buying used pickups on ebay for half the price of new ones.
Peavey XXX 40efx
Schecter C1+ (sd 59bA4 neck/sd Custom8 Bridge)
Washburn Idol WI45(AirNorton/CrunchLab)

ESP/LTD Viper 300(EMG81b,89n)
Boss SD-1, Crybaby, MXR 6-band EQ,
Digitech DL-8 Delay Looper, SupaCharga
I have a Line 6 Spider 3, so I'm not sure whether changing pickups will make much of a difference. I'm thinking of selling that, saving up a little and getting the Vox Valvetronix 15 - I think that's it's name. I agree with the harmonics thing, and I'm not the best precise player so I think I'll have a look at other pups, cheers for the advice!
Sell your spider and put money towards a Valve amp. Then there will be a much bigger difference in tone.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Last edited by Jak Archer at Jun 30, 2010,
Quote by Jak Archer
Sell your spider and put money towards a Valve amp. Then you will be a much bigger difference in tone.

+1

You won't notice much difference in new pickups with a Spider or a Valvetronix. Put all your money and effort into a decent amp first. No we are not picking you. Most of us have been in your shoes before. I know I was.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
+1

You won't notice much difference in new pickups with a Spider or a Valvetronix. Put all your money and effort into a decent amp first. No we are not picking you. Most of us have been in your shoes before. I know I was.

Fair doo's, and don't worry I dont feel like your picking on me haha, it's all good. It's tempting just to buy new pickups and expect the tone to change, really tempting for me haha. I've had this amp for two years, and I can't say I've been impressed with it, so a proper amp is due! Now the decision about what amp is next haha, I can probably stretch to £300, so hopefully that'll get me a decent amp, or should I save more?
Well, it's my birthday coming up soon, so I should be able to sort something pretty decent out I assume that this'll make my current pups sound a lot better aswell?
ha ha good point.

pick up swaps will make the most difference with an all tube amp.

those 3 amps I listed are not all tube amps.

If you play metal then look at the Peavey 6505+112 or the Peavey Vypyr 60 with power tubes.