Throughout history, there have been people who beat the impossible when everything else was against them. This is a thread for stories of beating the impossible, for those of you who need a little inspiration or if you just want to tell us some of your stories about pulling through in dire situations

Il start with Galileo Galilei, Nicolaus Copernicus introduced him to the heliocentric theory, that the Earth revolved around the Sun, instead of the universe revolving around the Earth. The catholic church sentenced him to life in prison (but he ended up serving it in his own home)

Everyone was convinced that the Earth was the center of the universe, but one mans theory turned out to be right, proving everyone else in the world wrong

"Galileo, it turns out you were right and everyone else was wrong. Are bad... "
You should rewrite the OP. It doesn't make sense like this.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
You should rewrite the OP. It doesn't make sense like this.

Which part does not make sense?
Quote by Littleangus44
Which part does not make sense?

If Copernicus already knew the theory. Then why would Galilei have had all the fame for it?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
If Copernicus already knew the theory. Then why would Galilei have had all the fame for it?

Copernicus introduced the idea to Galileo, Galileo observed the moons of other planets and noticed how the moons revolve around the planet. He proposed a theory that the Earth revolved around the Sun, everyone thought he was crazy/stupid and it wasn't until after his death that they discovered the universe didn't revolve around Earth...

So to answer your question, I am not sure why Galileo got credit for it, maybe Copernicus was afraid to go public with it for fear of being exiled or imprisoned
Quote by Doctor Matthews
Ahem...

...Leonidas.

what?

EDIT: The king of Sparta... what did he do that was inspirational?
Last edited by Littleangus44 at Jun 30, 2010,
Quote by jgbsmith

I fully just teared up over some of those stories, this is the kind of thing I imagined when I saw the thread, TS!
Quote by SilentHeaven109
I fully just teared up over some of those stories, this is the kind of thing I imagined when I saw the thread, TS!

I just spent like 2 hours reading through a bunch of those posts.

Oddly, it made me sort of sad...
I was gonna post a picture of a kid with no legs cuz stuff like that seems to give people hope

My grandpa's dad died when my grandpa was only like 10. My grandpa had to work in a coal mine in order to support his family (mom and sisters). He only worked there until he was 15 because his mom forced him to quit because coal miners tend to die young due to toxic stuff in the air. My grandpa ended up supporting his family by becoming a street boxer for a couple of years. Once his mom passed away at a young age and his sisters got married, my grandpa moved from Bolivia to Argentina to start a new life. He worked as a carpenter until he saved enough money to open his own workshop. My grandpa's life was finally stable and it only took like 30 years.
Quote by sticksause
I was gonna post a picture of a kid with no legs cuz stuff like that seems to give people hope

My grandpa's dad died when my grandpa was only like 10. My grandpa had to work in a coal mine in order to support his family (mom and sisters). He only worked there until he was 15 because his mom forced him to quit because coal miners tend to die young due to toxic stuff in the air. My grandpa ended up supporting his family by becoming a street boxer for a couple of years. Once his mom passed away at a young age and his sisters got married, my grandpa moved from Bolivia to Argentina to start a new life. He worked as a carpenter until he saved enough money to open his own workshop. My grandpa's life was finally stable and it only took like 30 years.

Wow thats one awesome grandpa... it sounds like he went through a lot for your family
Quote by Littleangus44
what?

EDIT: The king of Sparta... what did he do that was inspirational?

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by chaoticfables
Once, there was an ugly barnacle. He was so ugly that everyone died. The end.

Fucking WIN!

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
Quote by Littleangus44
Throughout history, there have been people who beat the impossible when everything else was against them. This is a thread for stories of beating the impossible, for those of you who need a little inspiration or if you just want to tell us some of your stories about pulling through in dire situations

Il start with Galileo Galilei, Nicolaus Copernicus introduced him to the heliocentric theory, that the Earth revolved around the Sun, instead of the universe revolving around the Earth. The catholic church sentenced him to life in prison (but he ended up serving it in his own home)

Everyone was convinced that the Earth was the center of the universe, but one mans theory turned out to be right, proving everyone else in the world wrong

turns out you were right and everyone else was wrong. Are bad...

Are bad...

Are bad...

Are

Are

EDIT:
Quote by jgbsmith

My best friend passed away a year ago.

On her death bed, she cried to her daughter, "I cannot imagine you growing up without me telling you how much I love you."

Her 5 year-old daughter replied, "Then video it, mommy, and I promise I'll watch it every day until forever."

A year later, Mollie still watches the video every day.

so... beautiful...
Last edited by ItsOnlyGNR at Jun 30, 2010,