Page 1 of 2
This is something that has kept me asleep at night plenty of times.

To which extent does it pay off to be nice, and where does it start to appear as weakness?

I would say most of us have been taught to be polite and respect others. However, there is always an asshole. And I don't know about you, but this asshole always seem to get away with everything or getting further than the 'niceys'.

Also, it seems to be a Golden Rule, that, the nicer you are to someone, the less they respect you. So where's the point in that?
Yes, the point of not being an asshole.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
I'm a nice guy.

It's not in my nature to be a dick for no reason.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by Philip_pepper
This is something that has kept me asleep at night plenty of times.

Keep thinking about it ^^
With that said, pull a Machiavelli. You'll win.
Last edited by Kwonnie at Jun 30, 2010,
Uh...Having friends? People being nice to you in return? I would not want to live in a world where everyone is an asshole to everyone else.

Although it is often the case that assholes get what they want because of their pushy attitude, but there's no reason why you can't achieve the same while being polite. Be polite, but firm. It is possible, you know.

I don't know how to do it, but I'm getting there.
Quote by JayT44
I'm a nice guy.
It's not in my nature to be a dick for no reason.

It's in my nature to be a dick for no reason. I try to be nice. Sometimes.
You run into less conflicts if you're nice to someone. For example, I could answer your question, or I could start a useless flame war with you. Which would be more productive?
Quote by Philip_pepper
Also, it seems to be a Golden Rule, that, the nicer you are to someone, the less they respect you. So where's the point in that?

It's not true. When you are always trying to be as nice as you can and you find the other person who practises being as nice as they can, you have found your soul mate/true love. Relationship with that person would work out perfectly. I've been there, done that.

Also other people will like you more and respect you more. If they don't act nice themselves it's because they are just too comfortable with being rude. It doesn't mean you have done something wrong. Don't take it personally.
Last edited by OMGWinner at Jun 30, 2010,
Assholes aren't really more successful, it's just that they yell the loudest, therefore you notice them more than the nice people.
You can be nice without being a total cheeseball. Nice non-cheeseballs get farther than either.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

There's a difference between being too nice and being respectful and polite. You can do nasty things respectfully. You don't get taken advantage of if you're confident and dignified, it's got nothing to do with niceness.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
If you are nice to people, they are likely to want you around them. To accomplish this, they will likely be nice to you. This in turn means that you can expect help when facing a problem and an increase in opportunities to mate.
Quote by T.s.e
Assholes aren't really more successful, it's just that they yell the loudest, therefore you notice them more than the nice people.

This.

Assholes usually end up in the deepest of shit.
Quote by T.s.e

Sigged! That's a nice statement.
Rainy Afternoon
Dark Punk Piece
Dead On The Sand
C4C
Member Of Paradox Empire (Singer/Guitarist).
Quote by T.s.e
Quote by T.s.e

I agree with this too. But the nice people are more likely to be blessed with finding true love.
Quote by SteveHouse
You can be nice without being a total cheeseball. Nice non-cheeseballs get farther than either.

Well said.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Whenever I see someone do something nice, it makes me happy to see that the world isn't totally shit. Why would I not try to be a part of that? In a ridiculously cheesy cliche it's always nice to have even a little bit more love in the world
Quote by greenelephants
Whenever I see someone do something nice, it makes me happy to see that the world isn't totally shit. Why would I not try to be a part of that? In a ridiculously cheesy cliche it's always nice to have even a little bit more love in the world

Exactly.
Generally nice guys finish last.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
I'm a nice person, and no one really likes me that much outside of my friends. Everyone I'm acquaintances with thinks I'm a phuckin weirdy.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by 0RI0N

Last in what?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by 0RI0N

If by finish last you mean I'm still doing her after you're done diddling yourself then yes.

I'm always nice. I've never been accused of being weak.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by sashki
Am I correct in guessing that someone got "friendzoned" recently?
Have a man hug

Not recently, no.
Quote by TheQuailman
If you are nice to people, they are likely to want you around them. To accomplish this, they will likely be nice to you. This in turn means that you can expect help when facing a problem and an increase in opportunities to mate.

YES
Quote by T.s.e

+1

I don't think dickheads necessarily are more successful. It also depends on how you define success. Having friends, family and people who like you is more important than scoring a promotion by backstabbing or maybe sleeping with a hot drunk chick once at uni. People can and do judge each other on their characters.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
In my experience nice people generally hang out with nice people and assholes hang out with assholes.

Come on, take a guess. Where is there the least backstabbing?
HAHA, no seriously. What DO you use a signature for?
Here is my input since I am always labed as the nice guy (depending on which people too).

I try to be nice to many people as possible, but I do not let people try to walk over me. The rule of fist is that you can be nice as long as you are not taken advantage of....then you use your goddamn fist, thus the rule of fist.
#25 for top 100 UGer of 2009
UG's 2nd Funniest UGer and 3rd most likely to be a Serial Killer of 2009, 2nd of 2011
Quote by Nicolai_Nebel
In my experience nice people generally hang out with nice people and assholes hang out with assholes.

Come on, take a guess. Where is there the least backstabbing?

Backstabbing. Assholes.

pfffffff

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by T.s.e

this
Quote by freddahh
There's a difference between being too nice and being respectful and polite. You can do nasty things respectfully. You don't get taken advantage of if you're confident and dignified, it's got nothing to do with niceness.

this
Quote by TheQuailman

and this.

the more people you're nice to the more people there will be who are nice to you. it's beneficial to yourself to be nice to more people so that you have more people being nice back, this system benefits everyone who isn't an asshole, and the assholes alienate themselves from it. while they may reap a short term benefit by not wasting time being nice, in the long term when they need help they're fucked.

and there's a difference between being nice and being too nice. you don't have to show weakness to be nice, and you don't have to be nice all the time, just don't be an asshole about it.
Being good is its own reward. If you can act like an arsehole to everyone around you and still feel ok about yourself, then you're not being clever, you're an arsehole. Simple as.
Nah, the common asshole never gets anywhere in life. Ever seen the houses of the people on jackass? Not very successful, if you ask me.
I think sometimes (not all the time) when you do something nice for someone, eventually it'll come back to you. Maybe you paid for a girl's lunch because she forgot her wallet then the next time you see her she might be with her friends and she'll tell them how nice you were which may get you laid.
You're confusing nice with pushover and asshole with strong-willed

See, assholes are always strong-willed, but not all strong-willed people are assholes.

All pushovers are nice, but not all nice people a pushovers.
That's why it seems like nice people are screwed and assholes seem okay, find some sort of happy medium.

Quote by Karl Pilkington
Jellyfish are 97% water or something, so how much are they doing? Just give them another 3% and make them water. It's more useful."
Page 1 of 2