Alright I'll try to avoid this being one of those "bad threads" as much as possible. Bear with me.

I have a Peavey Vypyr 75(one of the ones with no problems) and it's wonderful for what I use it for. I want to upgrade to something better though.

My problem is that I play literally almost every genre of music and I dunno what I could get for a reasonable price for that.

I need a good loud amp with a great clean tone as well as being great for metal/hardcore/heavier genres in general.

I have $150 plus my Vypyr to trade in, and I'm gonna try to get maybe another 200$ at most. I can probably get about 150$ or so for the Vypyr.

What would a good versatile amp for around $500 or so be?(Trying to get a job but no one here is hiring :[ )
Youtube demos greatly appreciated. I don't really care so much about the brand(I'd love to get a Mesa but obviously that's a bit too expensive).

Thanks very much in advance.
A used Flextone comes to mind. A friend of mine gigged with one quite successfully and had a pretty good tone with it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8TGAdUIcjE
fyi, it can get heavier/higher gain than shown in the vid
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Jun 30, 2010,
Quote by justinb904
A used Flextone comes to mind. A friend of mine gigged with one quite successfully and had a pretty good tone with it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8TGAdUIcjE
fyi, it can get heavier/higher gain than shown in the vid

I'm actually really impressed because aside from the Variax, all the Line 6 gear I've tested has been awful.

Would this amp get loud enough to play in a death metal band though? For the clean stuff, max volume doesn't matter that much as long as it gets a little up there, but double bass is loud. My drummer has a foot like an elephant's.

EDIT: After doing a bit of research, apparently at higher volumes it starts rattling if you press the lower end, and the tone on the lower end gets thin. This could be a problem because I always boost my lows.

This isn't ruling it out though, I'm definitely considering it. I'd like more options though just to be sure.
Last edited by ciadude2 at Jul 1, 2010,