Just purchased a takamine gs330s, received it by mail. It is used but in excellent condition almost new. So I put on a new set of strings martin sp light phosphor bronze. When i play the guitar she sounds hollow-empty not a real good tone, but when I put on a capo just in front of the nut, the sound is much fuller and to me much better. Should the nut be modified??. Any suggestions?? Read alot of great things about this guitar regarding the sound, I hope this is not the sound they are talking about. thanks
Last edited by d-2700 at Jun 30, 2010,
Do the strings sit in the nut well?
Quote by Demonikk
Disco break!

Quote by Julz127
Make sure you put me in your citations at the end. Or at least in your sig.
yes, doesn"t seem to be any problem with the strings in the nut. Strings ring alittle as well.
Hmm... Maybe the nut is loose it are you in standard e tuning?
Quote by Demonikk
Disco break!

Quote by Julz127
Make sure you put me in your citations at the end. Or at least in your sig.
Are the open strings hitting any of the top frets when strummed?

The strings could be sitting too low in the nut (or the nut needs to be shimmed up), the neck could be back bowed (not enough neck relief), or one of the frets near the top of the neck is sitting up too high.
Wait a day or so. Fresh strings always behave strangely for a little while. See if it persists after a few hours of playing.
^^ Agreed with GC...

Give it time.. if you still get it after a few days. Then take a look down your neck to see if it is straight. Other than That I do not know, maybe a different type of string, maybe a brighter string. ( elixirs )