Alright, so basically, I'm looking for a pedal I can use for solos. What I'm looking for is something that will add volume (obviously), but also add a considerable amount of gain as well.

Out of the pedals I have, my compressor does the job far better than my DS-1 or my MT-2. The compressor works for what I want. The only problem, is that the compressor really isn't an OD/Distortion pedal, and I want a pedal that will add more gain.

So I went to GC, and played on the same amp (VK212), and tested out a Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive, and an Ibanez TS9. Neither of them did remotely what I wanted, even though everyone and their mom has told me to use overdrives for solo boost. I'm already playing dirty, with a lot of distortion, but I want to add more for solos, and make them really gritty sounding, if you know what I mean. (Think the solo tones of Monsters by Matchbook Romance and Daddy's Eyes by The Killers). I'm not sure exactly how to describe what I want.

In any case, those overdrives didn't work at all, when they were on, on all different kinds of settings, they barely made a difference to the sound at all. They just didn't do anything.

So sorry for the wall of texts, but your advice and thoughts would be much appreciated on this matter.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by salgala2000

Cool, I'll check it out.

I never looked into EHX pedals before. This probably sounds really stupid, but I don't like using pedals with buttons - I believe that if I'm going to buy a stomp box, I want a stomp box, not a little button on the ground.

But if it works, I guess I may have to make an exception for tone...

I'm guessing that this thing generates a lot of hiss/hum?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Cool, I'll check it out.

I never looked into EHX pedals before. This probably sounds really stupid, but I don't like using pedals with buttons - I believe that if I'm going to buy a stomp box, I want a stomp box, not a little button on the ground.

But if it works, I guess I may have to make an exception for tone...

I'm guessing that this thing generates a lot of hiss/hum?

To be honest I'm not sure because my friend owns this and I think he had a noise suppressor on his pedal board. There are also Boost pedals that work like volume/wah pedals. Meaning that its the wah/volume type of pedal not a stompbox. I've never used one of those but you could check them out. Remember volume pedals can only take away from your signal while boost pedals adds to your signal.
Alright. So I guess I'm looking for a boost, rather than an OD?

Any other suggestions/thoughts?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
If you put any boost pedal on infront of heavyish distortion, it will add NO volume. If you want it to add volume, you have to put the boost pedal after your distortion, this means your effects loop. However, it is not going to make your tone that much grittier.
Quote by bogg808
If you put any boost pedal on infront of heavyish distortion, it will add NO volume. If you want it to add volume, you have to put the boost pedal after your distortion, this means your effects loop. However, it is not going to make your tone that much grittier.

This could be your problem. Generally putting a boost before distortion will saturate the distortion more but not add too much boost. Putting the boost after the distortion will create a volume boost and work a lot more like you think a boost pedal should work.

Doesn't the PV VK have a foot switchable gain/boost built in?
It does, but I use it for my regular rhythm tone. I need something that will add to that.

I was just messing with my effects loop. My pedals are way more effective through it. I always had problems with it before because I couldn't figure out how to hook up my NS-2, but I have it sorted out now. I'll probably be trying out OD's again as well as boosts now, but through the FX loop.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
overdrives don't sound good in an effects loop IMO.

To get the gaim boost as well as the solo boost you are probably going to have to get 2 pedals, a clean boost and either an EQ or OD.
You could get a pedal like the tubescreamer/DS1/some other OD or DS, set the gain at 0 (blasphemy!) then slightly incread the volume/level knob on the pedal, that should work.

But I'd suggest something like a booster, maybe one with an EQ such as Flynn amps recreation of Rory Gallagher's Hawk booster.