I've been looking to get some new strings, but the ones I was looking at are a lighter gauge than the ones I usually use. For example, the G string for what I usually use is .05, but this new one would be .045. Does that .005* actually make a tangible difference?

Thank you!

-CB

*possible math fail. I don't think it is, but it's always good to have a disclaimer!
the math is solid don't worry.

I don't have as much experience with string gauges on bass, but on guitar I once went form 9's to 8's and couldn't stand them. I also went from 9's to 10's and the felt fairly beefy, but now that I've been on 10's so long I played my budies with 9's and they felt noodly.

tl;dr .001 makes a tangible difference but its easy to overcome.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Thank you!

I don't know if it will make the same amount of difference (?) on bass because the strings are much bigger, but I would imagine then that it does make a difference. Thank you!
I notice it more with guitar than I do with bass, actually.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
And the sound? Will that be a lot different too? Sorry for asking so many questions, I've just never messed around with strings. I've been buying the same ones for two years.

I just don't know if string gauge (aside from alternate tuning) is more for sound or feel.
Thinner strings will sound a little less bassy. They will also feel a bit looser. I switched from .045 to .040 for a period of time and was surprised how much easier it was to slap on them
I don't mean to highjack this thread, but if i get thicker bass strings will i have to change anything on my nut or bridge? Also can someone explain the whole alternate tuning thing (string gauge wise) to me. Im a noob sorry
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"
Quote by the_perdestrian
the math is solid don't worry.

I don't have as much experience with string gauges on bass, but on guitar I once went form 9's to 8's and couldn't stand them. I also went from 9's to 10's and the felt fairly beefy, but now that I've been on 10's so long I played my budies with 9's and they felt noodly.

tl;dr .001 makes a tangible difference but its easy to overcome.
.008s?!? Jesus, even .009s feel way too thin to me. .011s just feel more comfortable to me. Likely because I'm used to bass strings.l
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea