I have 2 mics (XLR outputs), a computer and no interface. Honestly, I'm not too worried about getting a great sound or anything, just down and dirty, cheapest way to multitrack possible. How can I achieve this?
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Don't get Audacity and don't get a mixer. Get an interface (USB or firewire) with multiple inputs.
Get an audio interface if you want to record two instruments at the same time.

Since you want to record 2 instruments at a time, firewire is not required. However, I strongly recommend it.

Look into a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, Profire 610, or a Presonus Firestudio Mobile. These are all good firewire interfaces.

Don't have firewire? Install it through a PCI card, or an ExpressCard if you have a laptop.

Don't want to install it? Settle for a USB (preferably 2.0) interface. I recommend the Tascam US series.

Download Reaper to record into. Audacity is a crippled DAW that is absolutely terrible for recording music.
Alright, is there a "minimum price limit" where everything below is utter crap (and I mean like, unusable, I'm using Chinese value brand mics here, audio quality is not going to get much worse).

Current Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
I can't really answer that, as that's kind of hard.

I guess nothing below $100.

What a good answer? Give me a budget, and the method of connection. (USB or Firewire). Again, firewire is much better then USB.
I'd really prefer $50 or less, with a firewire port (I'm lucky enough to have one, great). If you'd really suggest $100 or so feel free to suggest something, but really I'm working on a budget.

Edit: What makes firewire better than USB btw?

Current Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Last edited by Guitar2theface at Jul 1, 2010,
Firewire is faster then USB, and when recording multiple tracks, USB has latency problems, where as firewire doesn't. Due to this, most of the better interfaces you see are firewire (better preamps, better converters, etc).

No offense man, but to get a firewire interface at below $200 is hard. This is the cheapest firewire interface I could find, that fits your criteria and IMO is pretty good:

http://www.presonus.com/products/Detail.aspx?ProductId=7

There is also the M-Audio Firewire Solo interface, but it only has one XLR input.

If you can stretch to $300, the Presonus Firestudio Mobile and the Focusrite Saffire 24 are both good interfaces as well.

I think you may have to go used.
Yeah I'd probably have to go used. With the latency on the USB interfaces, do all teh tracks "lag" at about the same rate? Even if they didn't I wouldn't mind spending time aligning tracks. Also note that I'm not doing overdubs, I'm just recording straight through with entire performances, with no more than 2 tracks per project.

Current Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
You should be fine with USB then. Realistically, USB can handle 4 tracks at one time without latency. You should be fine. But it is just that the better interfaces are firewire.

Still, there are some decent USB interfaces that can still get great quality recordings when the right audio engineer is using them (and they are much cheaper!). Look at the Tascam US-122 or the E-MU Tracker Pre interface.

Tascam:

http://www.tascam.com/products/us-122mkII.html

E-MU

http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?category=610&subcategory=611&product=17511&nav=features
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Jul 2, 2010,
Honestly, if you're not recording drums and using a drum VSTi, all you need to get quality recordings is a decent interface so dont skimp there.
for 2 input and USB, try looking at the m-audio fast track pro. usually runs around $200, but a quick look on ebay is showing some used ones around $150-160. that e-mu box looks pretty nice too, but i have no experience with their stuff (other than doing research on another product). not sure you can do much better than $150 for a 2 input interface though.
I have only heard driver issues with EMU.

If you have Windows 7, I would wait on E-MU to get stable drivers out first. There Windows 7 driver is only in beta.

I have also heard of people having trouble with the Vista x64 drivers.
The TASCAM looks like what I"ll get, it even comes with Cubase which is another plus.

Current Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
I have only heard driver issues with EMU.

If you have Windows 7, I would wait on E-MU to get stable drivers out first. There Windows 7 driver is only in beta.

I have also heard of people having trouble with the Vista x64 drivers.

that may be true, i was looking at some stuff back when i was using an xp system. it was when everything had vista driver issues, so it wasnt something that stuck with me if it was happening or not. just remember reading that the hardware was very solid and things were high quality.
The difference between USB and FW is the fact that USB uses your processor to process the audio coming in, while FW uses it's own internal processor. I record all the time on a Line 6 UX8, which is USB, and record 8 tracks all day long with zero latency, but I also have an i7 and tons of RAM. If you choose a USB interface, make sure it has direct monitoring, and latency won't be an issue. There are tons of issues with FW only working with certain chipsets, and are useless on many laptops(why I got rid of mine, even after trying every solution possible, like different cards, ect..) read in to it before purchasing one. If you want the best go for PCI/PCIE, otherwise USB or FW will suit your needs. The Tascam US-122 is a great unit, I had the first generation, look into what Line 6 has as well, I've had a UX1, UX2, and now a UX8, and they're all great interfaces, but I think their line has upgraded some recently, and their drivers have been rock solid on multiple OS's for me.