So, I'm heading off to college in the fall and my half stack isn't going to cut it. I'm going to be a music major so its got to be quality. I have a budget of around 2,000 USD.

Versatility is a must. I'm going to be playing a lot of Jazz so its got to have Excellent cleans. I also hope to get a metalish/rock band together so its got to have good crunch and lead sounds too. I'll also use it for jamming so a mid-gain fusion sound will be necessary.

Its going to be at college so it cant be a 100 watt monster. I would prefer a combo but I'd be willing to do a head + 112. I definitely want at least 2 channels.

So far I've looked at:
Mesa Mark IV/V
Rivera Venus 6
Axe FX

Any of these stick out above the others? any other suggestions?

What I don't want:
Blackhearts
Orange TT
Vox AC4
Egnater Rebel 20
Jet City

They're great amps but they're not what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the help!

tl;dr

best and most versatile amp for 2 grand thats not a lunch box or a monster.
Sig What?
i cant really suggest anything but id say stick to a smaller amp. you don't want that thing taking up a ton of room if youll be in a dorm. however, if youre gonna be keeping it somewhere else then get whatever you want really
Agile AL-3000 HSBF>
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz V1>
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive V1>
Hardwire CM-2>
Delta Lab Chorus>
EHX Holy Grail>
Boss DD-7>
BBE Sonic Stomp>
Digitech JamMan>
Blackheart Little Giant
Granted I'm a fan, I'd go for the Mesa Mark V. So much you can do with it and being a music major, you'll likely find the versatility a big bonus. It can really dish out a lot of different sounds.
I hear good things about the Mesa Boogie 5:50. Plus it's switchable between 5 and 50 watts, so you can get break up a bit earlier if you so choose to crank said monster. Also take a look at a Bogner Alchemist. It's my latest gas so that may be why I'm suggesting it, but I'd take a look at it. The cleans are beautiful.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
Last edited by JF-SH1 at Jun 30, 2010,
budda superdrive 30 combo.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Ill definitly look into the Superdrive.

Any one have any hands on experience with the Axe FX? I've seen a couple of bands play with them and sound awesome and the demos sound sweet but how does it feel compared to a tube amp?
Sig What?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Jazz, Metal, Rock, Crunch & Lead????

I know of NO amp in existence that can pull ALL of these tones off perfectly. For those needs, you're definitely want to go with an Axe FX. Even if you were willing to pay $20,000 for an amp......I do not know of any one single amp that can do all those tones GREAT.

None of the other amps you mentioned can do ALL of the tones you want. Also, the Axe FX is by far the best modeling amp ever. It's also the only one I've played that 100% captures the feel of a tube amp. My cousin has one and sometime in the next year, I plan to upgrade to one.

For you its either going to be an Axe FX or multiple amps. Anything less and you'll be sacrificing something.

However, if you DO find an amp for under $2,000 that can do all those tones well, would you please let the rest of us know what it is?
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Quote by theraven871
Jazz, Metal, Rock, Crunch & Lead????

I know of NO amp in existence that can pull ALL of these tones off perfectly. For those needs, you're definitely want to go with an Axe FX. Even if you were willing to pay $20,000 for an amp......I do not know of any one single amp that can do all those tones GREAT.

The SLO100 can do all of those very brilliantly, including jazz, imo it has a very nice jazz type sound.

But yeah to the TS, i'd go for an AxeFX, and on the brightside you won't really have any volume issues