ive neer heard of boiling strings, youd think it would just make them rust. it doesnt take that long to get them to stay in tune with a floyd anyways, just stretch them.
im just thinking of trying it for the hell of it but dont really want to waste a set of strings at the same time
Van Halen did that when he was poor for some reason because he couldnt afford new strings, i believe
Ibanez sz720fm,Ibbly RG350DX, Custom Tele-> Dunlop 535Q->RAT Pro co II-> Ibanez Fuzz->Marshall Haze 40.
Tascam US-800 and a hand full of Mics into Nedundo 4

my music, new recording on the way in 2014

[B]insert witty italicized quote here
buy 2 packs and jsut try it on 1 string at a time.

i have a feeling that it might just weaken the string and itll break as soon as you try to put it on.

try 1 of the strings that are wound first, those are the ones that seem like they would give you some trouble
Wait....what?
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Just put the strings on your guitar and wank on your trem for a few minutes, it will stretch them fine.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by shredtil'yadead
lol ok squier boy

lol it says he joined in 2007 yet he still has a squier?
Yeah, just put them on, tune them, pull them up from the fretboard about an inch or so a good few times, retune them, do the same again, retune, play the shit out of the guitar for about half an hour, retune them, then they'll be fine.

EDIT: Also, there is nothing wrong with Squier, as long as it's not the very low end ones. The pickups are abit crap in most of them though.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Um, the only things stock about my Squier are the neck and the body. Bone nut, new pup, new wiring, new everything, and it serves my needs. I can afford a nice guitar, but would rather have my boutique pedals and nice amp. So you can both **** off.

Quote by bogg808

Quote by mcraddict81592
Um, the only things stock about my Squier are the neck and the body. Bone nut, new pup, new wiring, new everything, and it serves my needs. I can afford a nice guitar, but would rather have my boutique pedals and nice amp. So you can both **** off.

i dont like the way you tried make me feel silly for asking a valid question, therefore responded in ways you would understand(ie showing the same ignorance)

i find it silly someone would spend more money on pointless effects than the actual instrument creating the signal that will be altered by those effects.
Because the guitar doesn't have much to do with tone. You buy a guitar for playability, and an amp for tone. I buy effects because can then have different good tones. Why don't you try this: Go to a guitar store, get a shitty amp, and a great amp, and a shitty guitar and a nice guitar. Play the nice guitar through the nice amp, it'll sound great, play the shit guitar through the shit amp, it'll sound like shit, obviously. But take the nice guitar and play it through the shit amp, it'll still sound like shit. Play the shit guitar through the nice amp, and it'll still sound pretty damn good. So why would I put money into a guitar when I already get good tone out of my current guitar? I'd rather have 5 different stage worthy tones than one halfassed tone and a nice guitar. Maybe that's just me.

Oh, and if you're gonna start shit, why not try the other two posts above me that were equally, if not more, condescending than mine?

Quote by bogg808

Quote by shredtil'yadead
i find it silly someone would spend more money on pointless effects than the actual instrument creating the signal that will be altered by those effects.

Oh boy, here we go.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by mcraddict81592
Because the guitar doesn't have much to do with tone. You buy a guitar for playability, and an amp for tone. I buy effects because can then have different good tones. Why don't you try this: Go to a guitar store, get a shitty amp, and a great amp, and a shitty guitar and a nice guitar. Play the nice guitar through the nice amp, it'll sound great, play the shit guitar through the shit amp, it'll sound like shit, obviously. But take the nice guitar and play it through the shit amp, it'll still sound like shit. Play the shit guitar through the nice amp, and it'll still sound pretty damn good. So why would I put money into a guitar when I already get good tone out of my current guitar? I'd rather have 5 different stage worthy tones than one halfassed tone and a nice guitar. Maybe that's just me.

Oh, and if you're gonna start shit, why not try the other two posts above me that were equally, if not more, condescending than mine?

the guitar has everything to do with the tone, try convince the dude from nile to play a 50's les paul with p90's.

try convince eric clapton his blues would sound more tonally correct with an ibanez S Prestige.

and anyway im just saying i wouldnt waste a small amount of money on shit that will wear out after 6 months worth of 4-6 gigs per week, when i could bide my time and pour a more significant amount into something that will last years and sound just as good for all those years.

i find it ridiculous as all hell to say guitars don't create a SUBSTANTIAL amount of your tone. (say 30-45% depending on your amp)
I have an MIM Fender Strat sitting right next to me, and both the owner and myself agree that my Strat sounds better for the kind of stuff I play, and they both play about the same. It's all down to pickups (tone wood is less noticeable than people say, to me at least). And what makes you think a guitar would wear out after six months??? It's ****ing wood and plastic...

And most people round here will agree that Amp/fingers = 90% of tone.

Quote by bogg808

i cant be bothered anymore man, we've got different idea's, thats cool, we probably play completely different styles.

sorry for being an offensive dick
It's more about facts than opinions and styles, but **** it, i wanna get some sleep too.

Quote by bogg808

Um... why does nobody understand that boiling guitar strings makes them softer... so you can eat them!
Quote by DemoDisc
Um... why does nobody understand that boiling guitar strings makes them softer... so you can eat them!

'10'ers eh lol
hmm tried this as soon as i saw this thread my low E was a bit dead so i boiled it for two minutes in water and OMG , left it to dry and was amazed its was like brand new..tuned it up it was perfect also had the twangyness that comes with new strings..
Over all sounds great

and please don't hate on squiers its really sad to see a decent thread(informative for me)turn into a flame warr..
Squiers aren't even that bad lol. Those cheapy Epiphones on the otherhand...

Any who, I might just try boiling strings for the lulz, and to see if it might save me some moneys.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
I have always wanted to try that, but... I just get so excited when opening a new pack. Usually accompanied with euphoria from the morphine I dose every time I get new strings.

Hey, that's a good idea. Drugs+strings=people thinking they need new strings twice a day. I'm going to be rich!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
You boil old strings to get rid of all the old skin and stuff in them, so they're cleaner and almost like new. I've never heard of anyone boiling brand new strings to make them stretchier. What you'd do is string the guitar so there is some tension in the strings (doesn't have to be anywhere near in tune) and then gently tug the string straight upwards at around the twelfth fret, just a little bit. Repeat this a few times, then start to tune up, after every few turns of the tuning peg, repeat the tugging process until the guitar is tuned.

That should more than stretch the strings sufficiently.