So I lucked out and got my hands on a Peavey XR 800F for free.

But I have no Idea how to use it, all I have is this board, a Blue Voodoo 120w Head, a Hartke 4x12 Celestion slant cab, and my computer with onboard sound.

Im so lost I have no idea how to hook this up to where I plug into the head, and run it to the processor baord then to my computer and still have the cabinet hooked up. Any help on this?

I was told that my songs are terrible recording quality, so I want to bump that up. I borrowed this to test it and see if I can get a better sound out of it. But unfortunately this is the first time I have seen one of these boards. Having never had anything more than an amp and a computer I am at a loss for hooking it up, there are amp restrictions and all that jazz. I dont want to hook it up wrong because I dont want to damage it, my buddy has never used it because it belonged to his ex roommate who just left it behind. From what I understand it is quite an expensive item so I do not want to mess it up.
Last edited by Silvanarix at Jul 1, 2010,
Nice mixer....however it really doesnt help with recording as you still will need to buy an audio interface to run the output of the mixer into.....but at that point you might as well just directly run your mics and instruments into the interface inputs as it does the same thing as the mixer.

Mixers are more for live sound
Interfaces are more for recording studios

Search around some here in the forums and see the pinned post at the top

The crate amp looks tube based so don't run it without the cab or it will burn up, also don't run the speaker out of the amp to anything other than the cab as it will burn up both things you link.
I would just go buy a Shure SM57 and audio interface and mic the amp.

Software such as Reaper will allow you to record and tweak the audio in the end. The new version is quite nice.
Last edited by moody07747 at Jul 1, 2010,
Doh! imagine that!

The problem I have is that I live in an apartment, and cant get loud here, so I am looking for some way to post amplify my sound without ruining it. Using a microphone well requires a bit of volume and no mic boost, but for me I have to run low volume and +10dB mic boost just to hear it without pissing off my neighbors. Looking for a solution to this problem though =) Thanks for the information on that mic and USB interface.
Well you could try some amp sims and such if you can't power up the amp loud enough to record however even at standard playing volumes you should be able to mic and record the amp just fine.

For software solutions look into the Line6 Toneports.
That's why most of us went to using Amp Sims - I don't disturb anyone now ESPECIALLY the wife. I still love cranking up a tube amp when no ones home but for the most part now it's Amp Sims into my interface through headphones... sounds pretty darn good I think.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at Jul 1, 2010,
I went with electric drums when I started for that same reason, but also for the benefit of getting many sounds out of just one kit for one price...(minus software fees)

modeling software has gotten so good these days that it's probably a good idea to have even a basic modeling guitar or drum setup in every studio.
I'd get a distortion pedal and just use that for when you record and just keep the overall volume down. Yeah you won't get as much of that sexy tube sound, but you'll be able to use a mic and interface, and just turn the mic sensitivity up.
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project