Hello, Im needing help on which is probably the better amp for distortion and fx.
I narrowed it down to the Peavey Vypyr and the Line 6 Spider IV, but if anybody has other reccommedations please let me know.

Thanks
BigE3
I suggest looking at the Vox Valvetronix combo amps...my 15 watt sounds like a 30 watt easily and the sounds are amazing
Quote by bigE3
Hello, Im needing help on which is probably the better amp for distortion and fx.
I narrowed it down to the Peavey Vypyr and the Line 6 Spider IV, but if anybody has other reccommedations please let me know.

Thanks
BigE3

Absolutely horrible choices. I'd say do more homework. A lot of people on here jock the vypyr but i'm not fooled. And the Line 6 Spider is easily the biggest joke in the guitar world. Line 6 Spider is easily one of the worst amps you can buy, and i'm not exaggerating.

the vox wouldn't be bad, but i'm pretty sure vox are more for cleans than distortion, but I have heard decent things about them for solid state.

What style do you play and what is your budget?
what kind of guitar are you playing?

look around for a tube amp if you can afford one. Maybe some kind of low wattage amp, like a blackstar ht-5, they're not too expensive.

if you can only afford solid state i could suggest looking at an older peavey transtube. the vypyr would okay i guess, but the transtube will sound a bit better and you will eventually outgrow both of them over time.

take a look at marshall avt or valvestate, or a peavey hss 20, they're all hybrids and are a small step up from most solid states.

but liek i said i can't really tell you anything without your budget
Last edited by handbanana at Jul 1, 2010,
The Line 6 Spider II are actually not that bad, you can find these on craigslist a lot for under $250. The Spider III and IV are a different story, do not get those.
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
Anyone who spends $250 on a Line 6 Spider (2, 3, or 4) seriously made the biggest mistake of their life and deserves to be pointed at and laughed at for being an idiot. Seriously about to put zamoraks quote in my sig as one of the dumbest things ever said on this forum.
Quote by handbanana
Anyone who spends $250 on a Line 6 Spider (2, 3, or 4) seriously made the biggest mistake of their life and deserves to be pointed at and laughed at for being an idiot. Seriously about to put zamoraks quote in my sig as one of the dumbest things ever said on this forum.

i deserve to be pointed at and laughed at.
TS, DO NOT follow my example.
good news is im getting a new amp soon
Gibson RawPower SG 2009 (Zales)
Gibson Hummingbird 70's? (Amy)
Jet City JCA 20 Watt Combo
Dunlop Crybaby wah
MXR 10 Band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
I have the 75W Vypyr and my guitarist has the Line 6 Spider IV. I'm not being biased, but my amp is a lot better than his. I'd stay away from the Spiders. Yes, they have a ton of effects. But only a few of them are worth anything.

You can get some really nice sounds out of the Vypyr. I don't know why so many people bash it.

Matthias Arp has some good videos with his Vypyr.

Here's an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pmSEPolZbw

However, the Sanpera pedal is needed in order to get most of the Vypyr's potential. I've been having my amp for about a year and finally decided to pick up the Sanpera I pedal a couple days ago. I'm terrible with the tech side of things, but I've been able to find some cool sounds with it. The Sanpera I pedal is $99. You don't NEED the pedal, but it does enhance your experience with the amp.

My main complaint with the Vypyr is that it doesn't have a standard output jack. It has an input jack, a headphone jack, and a DIN jack in the back. The 75W Vypyr has a USB jack, but apparently it's crappy.

The absence of a standard output jack makes it frustrating to find certain pedals, record, etc. I didn't think it was a big deal at first, but it did prove to be an annoyance once I started looking for a footswitch pedal. I pretty much had to buy the Sanpera I, which is why I assume Peavey made the amp the way it is.

But yea, bottom line is: stay away from the Line Six Spider
i'm assuming it was probably your first amp or something? And you obviously realize your wrong doings, so thats ok.

My first amp was a spider 3 15 as well, and i'm still pissed to this day that the tech at guitar center picked that amp out for me. Although that was years ago, and i;ve upgraded since

and yeah, even having a lot of onboard effects doesn't really justify it either. the delay is just ok. The flanger is actually pretty damn good imo, but everything else was pretty bad.
Uh he's not getting a flextone for 250, besides I would not suggest that amp anyway. I would just stay away from line 6 all together. Also stay away front crate, Marshall mgs, and vypyrs.