Poll Options
View poll results: Who is right?
Reproduce and Die
63 54%
Offering a purpose
54 46%
Voters: 117.
Page 1 of 4
So me and a friend were debating life. Our Existence. Why we are here. and so on.....

I say were are here for one purpose. Just like all animals to reproduce and die. as you look at it everything is man made out of man's imagination. Do animals believe in god? Do animals have morals? No. They have instincts given to them to survive and reproduce. And no they do not have morals as they choose mates at will based on instinct and flattery in some animals.

My friend says we all have a non manmade faith based purpose in life. We all have something to provide to the table. Even animals.

Pit who is right? theyre a die hard christian. I'm atheist
Gear
Schecter C1 Hellraiser FR
1967 Ventura Les Paul Copy
Marshall JCM 2000 Dual Super Lead
Last edited by .Jamison at Jul 1, 2010,
i'm with you. we make our own purposes.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Do animals believe in god? Do animals have morals? No

to be fair, you cant actually know that.

no one can be proven right, therefore, quit arguing about it and go do something fun instead.
Have as much fun and party as hard as you can. Help people when you can, and enjoy the ride.

What else could you want?
Deep shit bro.

I believe everyone has their own purpose that they create. Mine is just to try to live a happy, successful, and fulfilling life, so i don't agree that humanity's sole purpose is to mate and then die.

edit: If humanity's only purpose was to reproduce and then die, then i'd rather we all stop reproducing and just die right now.
Sail upon the open skies
Last edited by angusfan16 at Jul 1, 2010,
Life just happens
Quote by Penis_wanker
hey guyz...i have a problem with my dick as i am trying to put inside the guitar input jack.

Its very small but it still doesn't fit in.

Can anyone give me some advice how i can put my dick in?

I am very horny right now

Cheers!
I say we are here for nothing really; we're just here. But we can find our own meanings.

I'm not sure if that leans more towards your point or his.

Edit: Angusfan it worded better. We create our purpose.
Im sober. Theyre sober.
Gear
No single belief, in my personal opinion, can ever be completely right.

People will always have different beliefs, different morals, different values.. You can't just have one that should be universally "Correct" and "Right".

Whatever you believe is what you believe. If you believe your purpose is to reproduce and die, so be it.

But if you believe in a deeper moral meaning, so be it as well..
Quote by Doonan
to be fair, you cant actually know that.

no one can be proven right, therefore, quit arguing about it and go do something fun instead.

Animals actually don't possess the complex cognition or intelligence to display complex symbolic behavior, something required to believe in a god.

But you're right about this topic, you can't really "prove" either side I suppose.
My take on Metaphysics: If no one in human history has figured out solid answers,there's no point in trying.

part of what you say is similar to the view that everything is dependent on the human consciousness perceiving it. but the borders of that again are fuzzy metaphysics.

as far as God, well, to an extent god and spirituality likely developed as a coping device for one thing about Humans that seems unique, death awareness.

So things in the universe happened in such a way that we are here. any purpose is what we make it, as is any sense of a god, and that doesn't diminish those things necessarily.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Animals actually don't possess the complex cognition or intelligence to display complex symbolic behavior, something required to believe in a god.

But you're right about this topic, you can't really "prove" either side I suppose.

That's what I'm attempting to say, mostly..
There's no proof for either and also people's separate personal opinions and beliefs will come into play when they think about their "Purpose".
I don't like either poll option. Any "purpose" we may believe ourselves to have is of our own creation.
This might sound kind of gay but someone one once told me this and it makes sense, we are here for each other. People who've been lonely may understand this better.
Well neither is right or wrong, each of you just have different opinions.

Personally I believe people aren't just animals, and that there is a greater being. I believe a person's destiny is to live their life as best they can to themselves and to other people. Each person's way of doing that is obviously different than anybody else's.

Each to their own though
I am Jimmy. I have cracked the corn and nobody cares.
Dude everybody knows the answer is 42. Where have you been?
"[Bleach] is mostly water, and we are mostly water, therefore we are bleach"

I feel we should go to...

Purple Alert
Our natural instinct is to survive. You could say that is our purpose.

Why do you feel scared when a stranger points a gun at you? Because you wanna live.

Why do you feel like screwing the shit out of your hot neighbor? Because you want to continue the existence of your species.

For some it's that simple. But after hundreds of years and our advancements in our ways of life, you can only think that there must be some other reason for being alive other than just sex and staying alive.
to die
Quote by SOADrox429
Dude... I want to date a drum major. I bet they could fuck in time to Tool.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
That's what I'm attempting to say, mostly..
There's no proof for either and also people's separate personal opinions and beliefs will come into play when they think about their "Purpose".

Well the first sciency sounding part of my post was in response to you saying there's no way to know if animals believe in god or not (I think that's what you were responding to).

The second part was me basically agreeing with everything else you said.

Woot

edit: Wait, that wasn't you..... Hmmmm
Quote by The_Nowhereman
Well neither is right or wrong, each of you just have different opinions.

Nahh, the Christian guy is plainly wrong.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Our purpose is determined by ourselves. No outside forces.

Indeed...anyone who believes in such outside forces/higher powers/greater beings is fooling themselves if they think such a...thing...exists independent of human cognition.
UG response: You are an athiest, therefore you are correct and your irrational, right-wing christian friend is wrong.

Quote by Doonan

+1

Purpose shmurpose. Who gives a ****?
There is no purpose for anything. Everyone and everything in this existence is self-serving. We are no more important then bacteria, who are no more important to the smaller organisms living on their cells, who are no more important then the cells of whatever we are living on. The universe is shaped exactly like the earth, if you go straight around enough you'll end up were you where.
Quote by Who66
Indeed...anyone who believes in such outside forces/higher powers/greater beings is fooling themselves if they think such a...thing...exists independent of human cognition.

Well it isn't necessary foolish. Irrational at times, yes, but the tendency to believe in a higher power is simply a byproduct of an evolutionary adaptation. It's a behavior that comes from our cognition and advanced symbolic behavior.

So naturally, we really are programmed to tend to believe in something more. Luckily, we also have the ability to see that behavior for what it truly is.
well, for me life is more boring when you don't have a goal in life, so i like to believe that there is something i have to do
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Our purpose is determined by ourselves. No outside forces.

i believe in God AND this.

i believe that God created the world and is watching iver us but i also believe he doesn't play in our lives, we make our own decisions. If God had so much control then why have world wars?
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Quote by bass-man9712
i believe in God AND this.

i believe that God created the world and is watching iver us but i also believe he doesn't play in our lives, we make our own decisions. If God had so much control then why have world wars?

A world war would fit in quite nicely with what he does in Leviticus. But that's meant for another thread.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
Well it isn't necessary foolish. Irrational at times, yes, but the tendency to believe in a higher power is simply a byproduct of an evolutionary adaptation. It's a behavior that comes from our cognition and advanced symbolic behavior.

So naturally, we really are programmed to tend to believe in something more. Luckily, we also have the ability to see that behavior for what it truly is.

But why would there be anything more? Why does there have to be anything more?

Our mind is simply using pre set words without speaking to draw conclusions and then to start over. Its not sacred. and Concents is only feeling bad based on MORALS which also are man created.
Gear
Quote by SeveralSpecies

Yep. I attempted to make the point that that tendency was evolutionarily derived earlier.
I've met a fair amount of intelligent people who see that behaviour for what it is, yet are practising Christians. The fact that those can be reconcilable to some extent has led me to be less knee-jerk in writing off non-atheists as morons etc.

Interestingly that advanced symbolic behaviour began to appear very early on in our development. Cave rituals indicating a belief in an afterlife have been dated to (I believe) hundreds of thousands of years ago.
To **** shit up
all I ever wanted was to pick apart the day
put the pieces back together my way
Quote by vIsIbleNoIsE
i'm with you. we make our own purposes.

This.

Our purpose in life is what we want to be.

Also I disagree with your friend because GOD? NO GOD.

*picture of zombie/vampire/thing from that one commercial for that one movie I never saw*
Quote by Law0417
well, for me life is more boring when you don't have a goal in life, so i like to believe that there is something i have to do

thats to detailed and man created. those are fine. Thats given by our obviously superior evolutionary path.
Gear
Quote by Who66
Yep. I attempted to make the point that that tendency was evolutionarily derived earlier.
I've met a fair amount of intelligent people who see that behaviour for what it is, yet are practising Christians. The fact that those can be reconcilable to some extent has led me to be less knee-jerk in writing off non-atheists as morons etc.

Interestingly that advanced symbolic behaviour began to appear very early on in our development. Cave rituals indicating a belief in an afterlife have been dated to (I believe) hundreds of thousands of years ago.

Maybe not HUNDREDS of thousands of years, but definitely long before any religion you see around today.

I do find it an interesting behavior, however, how people can rationalize their beliefs, see them for what they are, yet still hold supernatural beliefs. That's probably stemming from it being used as a coping method or as a way to decrease stress.
Quote by .Jamison
But why would there be anything more? Why does there have to be anything more?

Our mind is simply using pre set words without speaking to draw conclusions and then to start over. Its not sacred. and Concents is only feeling bad based on MORALS which also are man created.

I wouldn't say man created morals, as such. I think they're pretty instinctive, but hey, I'm an idiot.
Page 1 of 4