Page 1 of 3
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/30/christopher-hitchens-canc_n_631429.html

That fucker just had to smoke like a chimney for so many years. Hitchens is my journalistic hero and is my main inspiration for having gone into journalism. The prognosis for esophageal cancer is generally very negative.

I mean, I've even met him. I have a first edition of god Is Not Great hand-signed and personalized by him.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Last edited by Spartan070sarge at Jul 1, 2010,
Well that's sad... I've read "God is not great" and I liked it... Very soon we'll hear all the religious people yelling "See ??? That's what happens !"
The heathen hath been smited!
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
Damn. Doesn't surprise me, though. He was always the "I don't give two shits" type.

Hopefully he beats it. If not, he had a good life I'd imagine. Made an impact.
As much as I loved god Is Not Great, I favor some of his other stuff.

And please, keep the hatred out of this thread, you Hitchens haters. I'm beyond a fan, as I've said, Hitchens' work is a huge influence on me.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
THANK GOD!

/irony, or other literary device
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I honestly think he's somewhat of a pompous douche, but that still sucks. Mostly because whenever an atheist is faced with death or something life threatening, everyone goes "LOLZ JUS WAIT TILL HE GITS TO HEAVEN AND SEES HIS MISTAEK". Everytime someone says that about Carl Sagan or George Carlin for example, I get all
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Quote by fail
I honestly think he's somewhat of a pompous douche, but that still sucks. Mostly because whenever an atheist is faced with death or something life threatening, everyone goes "LOLZ JUS WAIT TILL HE GITS TO HEAVEN AND SEES HIS MISTAEK". Everytime someone says that about Carl Sagan or George Carlin for example, I get all

From what i gathered, he is quite pompous, but in a way I almost admire that about him. It's weird, because I usually hate that in a personality.

Weird.
Also, I severely dislike almost everything Christopher Hitchens stands for.

But cancer still blows, and he has my sympathy. I feel bad for him.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by SeveralSpecies
From what i gathered, he is quite pompous, but in a way I almost admire that about him. It's weird, because I usually hate that in a personality.

Weird.

I might admire it too if it wasn't such a stereotypical trait of atheists. I think it's a huge block to getting your point across. Theists and atheists alike, if they're too arrogant, I lose respect.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Quote by fail
I might admire it too if it wasn't such a stereotypical trait of atheists. I think it's a huge block to getting your point across. Theists and atheists alike, if they're too arrogant, I lose respect.

I know what you mean. I probably wasn't blocked out by his arrogance because i already agreed with most of what he had to say, so he didn't need to win me over with charisma.
Quote by ZiggyGanjah

+1

I really like Hitchens. I was thinking about the fact that him along with Richard Dawkins are getting really old a few weeks ago.
Quote by AronRa (Youtube user)
It is better to be proven wrong, than to forever be wrong, and never know it.

Quote by Meths
Bill Hicks rules.

I hate my user name >_<
Quote by Rocker_69
+1

I really like Hitchens. I was thinking about the fact that him along with Richard Dawkins are getting really old a few weeks ago.

Dawkins wont die ever. The man's too damn stubborn
I feel bad for him because that seriously must suck to have that. But I never really did like him all that much. Dude thought he was the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Damn, that rather sucks. He's certainly been deliberately a hard liver though. Hopefully he can beat it, and no fundies take it as a sign he's being punished.

He did a book signing at a store I was working at when GING came out. according to my manager he was pretty sloshed...

EDIT: the hard liver pun up there ain't intentional. but apt.
Last edited by Who66 at Jul 1, 2010,
Quote by The Madcap
I feel bad for him because that seriously must suck to have that. But I never really did like him all that much. Dude thought he was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

He was drunk all the time, and whenever I'm drunk, I think I'M the greatest thing since sliced bread, so I usually let him slide with that one

edit: ^ yep, always sloshed hehehehe
he's a smart dude for sure but i was never really a fan of him. he comes off as too arrogant too often.

ah well, i wish him the best anyway.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
Quote by Waterboy799
he's a smart dude for sure but i was never really a fan of him. he comes off as too arrogant too often.

ah well, i wish him the best anyway.

Yeah. the issue I have with him and Dawkins is that they pick the easy fight to some extent. It doesn't take too much to disprove literalist theists or render them irrational and unscientific.
Quote by Who66
Yeah. the issue I have with him and Dawkins is that they pick the easy fight to some extent. It doesn't take too much to disprove literalist theists or render them irrational and unscientific.
I've always thought that they're arguments for atheism were unimpressive. I'm more impressed by some of the atheists here on UG. Dawkins is great when it comes to biology, but when he does interviews or debates, like when he was on O'Reilly, he doesn't really do a good job.
Quote by The Madcap
I've always thought that they're arguments for atheism were unimpressive. I'm more impressed by some of the atheists here on UG. Dawkins is great when it comes to biology, but when he does interviews or debates, like when he was on O'Reilly, he doesn't really do a good job.

Yea, they're much better in their literature, where they have time to think about it and word it carefully. I've noticed Dawkins seems to have a case of stage fright lol

And their arguments can seem rather bland at points, but I've always seen them as appealing to an unaware audience, in which case they start off the basics nicely, and then leave the rest up to individual interpretation.

At least that's what I got from it.
I won't have to hear his horrible arguments anymore! Eh, I'm horrible. I'm sure my friends are a bit upset.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Hitchen's is not just some firebrand athiest, he fights all kinds of injustice from torture to illegal wars. Man's a legend.

Quote by The Madcap
I've always thought that they're arguments for atheism were unimpressive. I'm more impressed by some of the atheists here on UG.

lol
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
Last edited by soccermom at Jul 1, 2010,
Sucks terribly, there was so much stuff that he said that I agreed with, but slightly more that left me fuming at my keyboard. In any case, cancer sucks. Don't smoke, kids.
I'll play it and tell you what it is later.
-Miles Davis
Wasn't that the guy who said he was going to arrest the pope but didn't follow through on it?
Quote by darkcheef
Wasn't that the guy who said he was going to arrest the pope but didn't follow through on it?

It's an ongoing process. That is really more Dawkins' deal, although Hitchens is a big supporter of it. As I said, it's still ongoing.

Quote by John Frusciante
That sucks.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Damn, I've never read any of his stuff, but if he's like a more pompous Dawkins then I guess I support him.

Good luck getting better.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
This is sad indeed. The man is one of our greatest fighters for secular democracy and the struggle against injustice and indoctrination, not to mention he is an exquisite speaker and highly talented writer.
I still can't believe him and Peter Hitchens are brothers.
St. Mirren F.C
Champions of Renfrewshire Since 2006
SPL Survivors Since 2006
there's no way he's beating esophogeal cancer. absolutely none. sorry to rain on the parade.

but uh ... rest in ... wait, no ... i mean ... vaya con di-- no not that either ... may god ha-- ... nope ... i'll pray f-- ... no ...

good luck, chris!
#DTWD
Page 1 of 3