I've been beginning to think that perhaps too much focus is put on getting "proper training." I say this because I have quite a few friends who take lessons for almost literally everything they do, whether it be singing, instruments, or sports. I've only taken ~6 months of guitar lessons just to get me started, and I've never had an actual vocal lesson, yet I can sing somewhat decently.

Not only that, but I also feel like the better musicians in the world (not necessarily technically, but more in the way of uniqueness) are the ones who haven't been formally trained in their craft.

So, with that in mind, are lessons overrated?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Input and help from someone else is never overrated. Doesn't matter how good you are, you can always use improvement and I find you can always do better when getting helpful tips from someone else. Getting lessons from someone else will always give you ways to further yourself. Hell, even professional singers in famous bands have vocal trainers. No matter what anyone tells you, you'll always develop better when you're being taught correctly. Can't stress that enough, especially the last part. Go, get the lessons. Thank me later.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Quote by IbanezRGS
you're being taught correctly.

that being the key, however there are a good many mediocre vocal coaches who dont know their ass from a hole in the ground.

but all in all i agree as long as its a good teacher who knows whats up. no harm can be done
Lessons are great, but if you get lessons alone you cannot expect to progress. Whilst lessons are great, they will have little to no effect if you do not practice what you have been taught in the lessons.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I really can't stress enough how much lessons can either be fantastic, or a complete and utter waste of time and money. They can be great IF you find a great teacher. I took lessons with an okay teacher. Unbelievably sweet lady, but the stuff she taught me wasn't necessarily on point. That being said, having a place to start pointed me in the right direction. I personally learn best on my own, but some people really prefer that guiding hand.

If, however, you get a bad teacher, you're wasting time and money in the best case scenario. Worst case scenario, you're damaging your voice, gaining poor habits, or even worse, getting confident that a bunk method is "proper," and contending tirelessly with people who are in the know, perhaps even causing others with good technique to fall into your damaging or limiting technique.

So I'd really book one lesson with teachers you're interested in. If you've got the cash to spare, shop around, and gather info from different teachers. See who will be able to help you reach goals you want to attain. Just keep in mind that there are a lot of good people out there, but much fewer good singers, and even fewer good singers who are good teachers.
Having a good voice is different from knowing how to sing.

Lessons will make you a better singer.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.