Hello all. I just recently joined a coffeehouse-ish (not really) band as a rhythm guitarist. Since I joined the band we have been trying to go for a more heavy sound (with me on distortion a lot), but also keeping clean acoustic sounds. I don't own a good amp (I have a very, very weak amp that I don't even bring to practice) and I am looking for advice on buying one that would keep the heavy sounds I like along with the clean sounds that are necessary without destroying my wallet. The lead guitarist uses a Marshall JCM800 2203X and 1960AV tube amp (or something similar, i'm not a very experianced musician) and usually plays his telecaster (or acoustic) through it. I play my Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio Electric (with is my love!). So... any advice?
Quote by Nny7229
Hello all. I just recently joined a coffeehouse-ish (not really) band as a rhythm guitarist. Since I joined the band we have been trying to go for a more heavy sound (with me on distortion a lot), but also keeping clean acoustic sounds. I don't own a good amp (I have a very, very weak amp that I don't even bring to practice) and I am looking for advice on buying one that would keep the heavy sounds I like along with the clean sounds that are necessary without destroying my wallet. The lead guitarist uses a Marshall JCM800 2203X and 1960AV tube amp (or something similar, i'm not a very experianced musician) and usually plays his telecaster (or acoustic) through it. I play my Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio Electric (with is my love!). So... any advice?

Are you planning on using pedals for your distortion/od or are you running it straight from the amplifier?
for a cheap versatile amp i would recommend the Vox VT100/VT50. I think that's the cheapest u'll get new for a decent amp.

You can alos look into the Peavey Valveking.

But best of all... go to your local music shop, play every amp u can get ur grubby paws on, with your guitar and play thorugh all the amps you are willing to buy. Also try out some really expensive amps to have a taste as to why they're so expensive.

Toodles
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Quote by Vantage
Are you planning on using pedals for your distortion/od or are you running it straight from the amplifier?

I'm not sure. Probably from the amp. Like I said, I am unexperienced. I have been playing for a few years, but I am self taught. I would like to get some petals, but I am probably going to want distortion on the amp.
Quote by Nny7229

Also. A good price range would be between $500 to $1000. Lower is always good if the amp is good.
I guess it depends also on how loud you need it to be. Will be using it mic'd into the PA or does it need the volume to over power the drums.
I used to use a VOX ADVT 100 which had 2x12 speakers and a power attenuator at the back; meaning you could crank the (solitary) tube but keep the volume at reasonable household levels, then just up the power attenuator at the back for gig volumes.

It's an amp-modelling amp, but if you using pedals then the "Boutique Clean" model is good for that. The amp models go from jangly cleans, through Vox AC30 drive, Marshall crunch, into some high gain metal tones. Very versatile and actually pretty good sounding amp models. You can store 2 presets that include amp model, eq, gain and volume. There are also onboard effects such as reverb, chorus, vibrato delay etc, although I never really used these. There's an optional footswitch that can be used to switch between preset channels and, I think, to toggle the effects on and off.
Is he using any pedals into the Marshall?

You could look into:

- Peavey Classic 30 or 50, XXX, Ultra Plus, VTM, Butcher, Vypyr Tube 60
- Red Bear Amps MK60
- Jet City Amps JCA100 or JCA50
- Vox AC30, AC50, AC100
- Egnater Renegade
- Budda Superdrive 18
- Mesa/Boogie Mark III, Rectifier, Rect-o-Verb, Tremoverb, DC-3, DC-5, F-30, F-50, Nomad
- Marshall JCM 2000 DSL, TSL, JCM 800, JCM 900

Honestly, you have alot of options.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Yeah, with that budget you've certainly got a lot of good options, the guy above has posted pretty much everything I could think of.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.