I am new to pedals and I am looking to buy my first one soon. I was wondering what kind I should get. I like to play metal, classic rock, metalcore, and blues. I am just looking for a good beginner pedal. (Most likely distortion or something like that. Any advice would be much appreciated.
firstly... what amp you playing through?
Cause usually it's better to upgrade that, instead of slapping good pedals into a hunk of shit.

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Digitech DF7 is a good and reasonable distortion modeler. It gives many varied distortions. Other than that I have good experiences with the Line 6 PODs which give a wide range of not just distortion, but also other effects. Either of them are good choices, but the Line 6 is by far the more versatile.
In price the DF7 is cheaper, but also way simpler. Since the DF7 is a stompbox and made in metal casing it is way more durable than the L6 Pod which is made in a plastic casing and as such is not meant for floor use.

Short version. DF7 Cheap for stage use. L6POD more expensive, but more suitable for studio/room use.
I think every guitarist should own a DS-1 at some point in their lives. It's the pedal that got me into pedals.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
and steer away from Boss pedals as they are insanely overpriced... atleast in my country.
i dont have a great amp. i have a silvertone smart IIIS. I would also like to spend less than $100 dollars on one.
Quote by Bovaiveu
and steer away from Boss pedals as they are insanely overpriced... atleast in my country.

Do they perform well?
Quote by jameszq7
Do they perform well?

They perform impeccably. Most people find that their sound is very undesirable compared to other pedals, but as far as performance goes, they're amazing. They don't break. Even if you try.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
They perform impeccably. Most people find that their sound is very undesirable compared to other pedals, but as far as performance goes, they're amazing. They don't break. Even if you try.

Alright thanks for the advice man.
Quote by jameszq7
Alright thanks for the advice man.

But still steer clear...
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
u should get a new amp.

if u want a nice cheap multi effects pedal, check out a Zoom G1 or G1x. They're the same, except the G1X has a Wah pedal. The G1 is around $50 and sounds great for the price. I have 1
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Well, what are you looking for in a pedal? Seems a bit idiotic to buy a pedal just because we say we like the sound it gives. Buy a pedal you like. Don't just buy pedals because all the cool kids do.
The band I'm have started getting a few decent support slots with signed bands. It's amazing to see how much signed artists have to spend on their equipment! Even so, there's always one or two Boss pedals on those pedal boards....
I have listened to boss pedal demos online and they dont sound that bad.But, if there is a cheap multi-effect pedal that would be great.
Quote by denied
Why do you want your first pedal? You need to think specifically about what kind of sound you are looking to add, not buy pedals because it seems like a logical next step.

If you do indeed want a distortion pedal, what kind of distortion are you looking for?

This is why I was asking for help. I included my music styles I play but I am not really sure if that helps. I also am not really sure what kind of distortion pedals there are. Basically, my guitar is for blues and older rock so I am kind of looking to add the harsher sound to play metal and some more modern music.
Search Youtube for the pedals you are interested in. There's a ton of reviews available . It'll give you an idea of it's basic tone(s) and control functions.
Quote by jameszq7
i dont have a great amp. i have a silvertone smart IIIS. I would also like to spend less than $100 dollars on one.

aren't silvertone amps really good vintage amps?
Quote by stykerwolf
aren't silvertone amps really good vintage amps?

Well some are but they have a new line of amps and everything now. It is just a starter one I bought when I bought my guitar. It is only like a 60 dollar amp.
I haven't got any experience with that particular amp, but from looking and reading about it, I assume it's going to be in the "MG" category of practice amps. If I was you, I'd sell that Silvertone and put the money towards a used Peavey Vypyr, which has all the effects and distortion you could possibly need. Getting a distortion pedal for your current amp seems like a bad idea to me.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
my go to pedal for distortion, is mxr fullbore metal . its my favorite pedal. its a staple of my pedalboard
Quote by Section 5
I haven't got any experience with that particular amp, but from looking and reading about it, I assume it's going to be in the "MG" category of practice amps. If I was you, I'd sell that Silvertone and put the money towards a used Peavey Vypyr, which has all the effects and distortion you could possibly need. Getting a distortion pedal for your current amp seems like a bad idea to me.

After watching a couple demo videos I figured out that that amp is really awesome. Also it isnt a bad price.

Silvertone Bluesmaster SSLA-30
Samick Revolver Bass
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
get a peavey vypyr 15. has all the effects and distortions u need.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt