Page 1 of 8
Sub genres can be a glorious thing, or they can be an unholy nightmare.

Dubstep has been making a name for itself lately, which is fantastic because I really love this genre. But then people started speeding up the tempo and adding DnB hi-hat patterns...and DRUMSTEP was born...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgNAM0ZdT2Q&feature=player_embedded#!

Don't get me wrong, I really like the tunes. But trying to make drumstep a seperate genre from dubstep or drum and bass just seems foolish to me.

Mathcore has also been a sub genre that I can't seem to grasp, I fail to see why Dillinger Escape Plan gets their own genre when they could easily be described as heavy rock/alternative/or punk.

Just to be clear, I'm not trashing either of these genres. It just seems silly to me that these artists tweak a genre the slightest bit and then call it a new genre that only applies to like 10 artists. Gives me the feeling of some shiesty marketing ploy to get you to listen to a new band for the sake of them being in a super obscure genre rather than the quality of their tunes.

So what are some of the most ridiculous sub genres you have heard of.
Last edited by Incinerate420 at Jul 1, 2010,
*insert Crabcore here*
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Baroque.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai
Baroque.

Baroque 'n' Roll.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Anything that's based on lyrical themes. Lyrical themes don't constitute a seperate sub-genre.

Amon Amarth get constantly labelled as Viking Metal, but they say they're not, they're just a Death Metal band that sings about Vikings.

I haven't heard anyone call Nile Egyptian-Death yet, which would make more sense seeing as they actually use some Egyptian instruments sometimes.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Neo-prog. Progressive already implies new. And anyone who calls themselves prog is an asshole anyway.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
I have to say crunkcore (think Brokencyde)
It's rap mixed with dance beats and screaming... It doesn't make any sense at all
Gear:
Fender Jazzmaster
Boss DS-2
Digitech RP150 (with Line6 EX-1 Exp pedal)
Orange Crush 30R

My Youtube Page
Read this!You know you really want to...

cave man metal

check out goat the head
Thor! Odin's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Your destiny awaits Thor! Hlödyn's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Ragnarök awaits

E-ARCH NEMESIS of girlgerms007
greenday
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Drumstep I see as more of a sub genre of Dnb- the 175 tempo means thats what you mix it with... its basically just half time Drum n Bass, which means for DJs its quite a good transition (Dirtyphonics- Quarks).

Wheather it merits it's own sub genre, I don't know, although I've been guilty of using the word Drumstep for quite some time.
Quote by Fucking loads of people who were appeasing me in order for me to write
blues_to_thrash, you are the master of epic lulz

My Music

2K11
Quote by guitarnoobie
Anything with 'post' in it (I.E. post hardcore, post grunge, etc).

Thrice are a hell of a lot different from Black Flag or Bad brains and POM and Setther sound nothing like Nirvana or Soundgarden. It's good enough for me.

I remember seeing in Metal-Hammer, them trying to advertise "Street Metal". I looked u a bit of it and it's just Thrash with party lyrics. THRASH ALREADY HAS PLENTY OF PARTY LYRICS! There's absolutely no difference. So pointless.
Quote by guitarnoobie
Anything with 'post' in it (I.E. post hardcore, post grunge, etc).

My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by Incinerate420
Mathcore has also been a sub genre that I can't seem to grasp, I fail to see why Dillinger Escape Plan gets their own genre when they could easily be described as heavy rock/alternative/or punk.

really? you really think DEP are heavy rock? so they sound just like System of a Down? Alternative? ahh just like Radiohead right? Punk? sweet I'll check DEP out cause I love Jawbreaker.

see my point? Mathcore is a legit subgenre. and no, they are not the only one's in the genre. See: Converge, Botch, Gaza, Ed Gein, etc.
Quote by GREENWARRI0R
really? you really think DEP are heavy rock? so they sound just like System of a Down? Alternative? ahh just like Radiohead right? Punk? sweet I'll check DEP out cause I love Jawbreaker.

see my point? Mathcore is a legit subgenre. and no, they are not the only one's in the genre. See: Converge, Botch, Gaza, Ed Gein, etc.

Thought Ed Gein generally fell under grindcore? Never actually listened to them though, so whatever.

Either way, the statement about Dillinger is ridiculous, I didn't spot that before
Quote by asator
Thought Ed Gein generally fell under grindcore? Never actually listened to them though, so whatever.

Either way, the statement about Dillinger is ridiculous, I didn't spot that before

Yeah. they fall under both imo, though I would say more towards mathcore from what I've heard
Crunkcore
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
Quote by asator

The post-grunge bands sound more like glam metal repackaged as alternative. Speaking of "alternative", there's a genre that no longer fits its name. Have you turned on a rock station in the last 10-15 years? Everything is 'alternative'. How can it be called alternative if it's currently the most popular form of rock music?
Any of the ridiculous metal sub-genres that some people like to pull out of their ass's because they want to try and sound like they know what they are talking about, it'll be like "thrash-math-black-death-jazz-funk-blues-punk-bebop-core"
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Neo-prog. Progressive already implies new. And anyone who calls themselves prog is an asshole anyway.

Everybody who says people who call themselves prog are assholes is an asshole
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Electro-ska and hardstyle are both awful
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Quote by guitarnoobie
The post-grunge bands sound more like glam metal repackaged as alternative. Speaking of "alternative", there's a genre that no longer fits its name. Have you turned on a rock station in the last 10-15 years? Everything is 'alternative'. How can it be called alternative if it's currently the most popular form of rock music?

Well now you're calling me out for disagreeing with something you never even said

I have no opinion on "post grunge". You said everything with post in it. Post Hardcore is an extremely valid genre, and is very, very different to hardcore. What you're most likely thinking of as post hardcore is absolutely in no way post hardcore. Post rock and rock are also totally different things. It was a ridiculous statement to make, hence the

Quote by RubberPuppiessu
Electro-ska and hardstyle are both awful

It's not about whether or not you like a genre, it's about whether it's a necessary subgenre. And hardstyle > you.
Last edited by asator at Jul 1, 2010,
Quote by asator

It's not about whether or not you like a genre, it's about whether it's a necessary subgenre. And hardstyle > you.

Yeah but its not wheter you like a genre either, so you can stop being a smartass.

and hardstyle is a f*cking disgrace

also black metal, thats just stupid.
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
Quote by RubberPuppiessu
Yeah but its not wheter you like a genre either, so you can stop being a smartass.

and hardstyle is a f*cking disgrace

also black metal, thats just stupid.

What? The point is that the thread is for discussing sub genres that don't need to be a genre of their own. Hardstyle and black metal both clearly don't sound enough like anything else to be categorised under it. You're doing this thread wrong.

For the record, I agree, black metal is awful.