When i play for extended periods of time, the fleshy part of my lower thumb starts to ache. This has only just started to happen, and it's really starting to piss me off. I can't play through a full song without getting this aching pain in my thumb muscle. Any suggestions?
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

I play a Schecter

Quote by Iriathz
I love you.
Have all my life's future earnings.

Quote by Lt. Shinysides
Just how loose is your urethra?

Quote by shavorules42
I have a 6 inch gauge in it, so I can cockdock so I'd say loose enough.
Not really.
Try letting it rest. It's probably just sore from using it too much.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Try playing with the thumb over the fretboard? If you can do both techniques just switch when you are tired.

(assuming the aching is from barre chords)
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Sorry, i didn't explain myself very well. I'm talking about my picking hand, after about 20 minutes of playing it just starts to burn, like i'm doing some strenuous thumb workout. I can't figure out what's going on, as this never used to happen.

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

I play a Schecter

Quote by Iriathz
I love you.

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

Quote by shavorules42
Not really.
I get that sort of, like a really sharp pain. Usually happens when I've been playing too many power chords and barre chords. You just have to let it rest for a while.

edit/ nevermind
Picking hand or fretting hand?

If it's fretting hand it could be that you're putting too much pressure on your thumb, or it's in the wrong posture, or both. Try placing it differently and see how that goes. If it doesn't work, then you've likely done some damage to your hand and should just rest it for a while, like if you were running or doing weights. You shouldn't continue excercising a part of your body if it's in pain.

For the picking hand, I suppose you should take the same advice, although there's not much you could be doing wrong with the posture of that...
try holding your pick differantly, chances are if your getting that pain its cause your holding your pick between the tips of your thumb and index, try resting your pick on the side of your index and putting your thumb flat over it

if that doesnt work you can always try picking from the wrist, keep your fingers still and use your wrist muscles to move the pick!
make sure there'sno tension in your arm when you're playing, it might be you're holding your pick too firmly.
I've never had that problem with my picking hand, I did with my fretting hand when I first started. Try doing some stretches/warm-ups before you start playing for awhile maybe that will help.
which thumb? You do have two hands and it does actually make a difference... jeez people!
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by mr7string
try holding your pick differantly, chances are if your getting that pain its cause your holding your pick between the tips of your thumb and index, try resting your pick on the side of your index and putting your thumb flat over it

if that doesnt work you can always try picking from the wrist, keep your fingers still and use your wrist muscles to move the pick!

Thankyou. I'll try that as well as some stretches now.

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

I play a Schecter

Quote by Iriathz
I love you.

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

Quote by shavorules42
Not really.
You're possibly holding your pick too tightly, which can cause cramp in the hand and forearm, if this may be the case, try scratching up your picks to make a better grip so that you don't have to hold them so tight.
your thumb doesn't have a muscle...
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"