USA has shut down several websites that offered pirated movies/shows.

Page 1 of 6
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ct-piracy-20100701,0,2871905.story

Adding some swashbuckling to its tough talk on fighting piracy, the federal government on Wednesday seized several websites that had offered downloads of pirated movies such as "Toy Story 3" and "Iron Man 2" within hours of their release in theaters.

Federal authorities announced that they had seized domain names from nine websites engaged in the "criminal theft of American movies and television." The websites include TVShack.net, PlanetMoviez.com, ThePirateCity.org and Ninjavideo.net. Combined, the sites drew 6.7 million visitors a month, authorities said.

Officials also seized assets from 15 bank, investment and advertising accounts and executed residential search warrants in North Carolina, New York, New Jersey and Washington, according to a statement from the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, which coordinated its investigation with the U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York, the Department of Homeland Security and other agencies.

Thoughts?

Discuss.
Seems fair enough to me.

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter:
I don't pirate, I don't care.

I'd like companies/bands/whatever to continue to make products for my enjoyment, so I'll pay for them.

As for the sites, they're offering an illegal service, so.....
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
They are wasting their time. They can never stop piracy, because as long as the Piratebay is open they can never stop it. Frankly, they should stop wasting their/our time and money and focus on real-life criminals.
Quote by NothingRocks
They are wasting their time. They can never stop piracy, because as long as the Piratebay is open they can never stop it. Frankly, they should stop wasting their/our time and money and focus on real-life criminals.

Quote by GLP_Arclite

pirating brand new movies within days of their release is just stupid, and the people who record and upload them are assholes.

I mean, come on, you can't even wait a couple of months? you're basically cutting the movie industry at it's throat, because nobody will even bother going to theaters anymore.

Although if you prefer to watch a multi-million dollar hollywood blockbuster with state-of-the-art special effects and a booming soundtrack on your dusty computer screen in your room for free than to pay 7 bucks to go to a theater with awesome sound and a huge screen, then quite frankly you're an idiot.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jul 1, 2010,
Quote by NothingRocks

This
Quote by jibran
I go to the pit only to just look at your creepy perverted username.

My Tumblr
Quote by CoreysMonster

Although if you prefer to watch a multi-million dollar hollywood blockbuster with state-of-the-art special effects and a booming soundtrack on your dusty computer screen in your room for free than to pay 7 bucks to go to a theater with awesome sound and a huge screen, then quite frankly you're an idiot.

Too right mate, too right.
Quote by GLP_Arclite

Quote by NothingRocks

its true, take down 1, 10 spring up in there place. it'll never stop. so they should just give up
Quote by sugirlxz
which is the best music

Quote by Oyface
One tip, don't go to the Pit.
You will get flamed worse than if you actually lived in Hell.
Zombiemonkeys will rape you, and hippos will eat your boogers.
Quote by jacksonDKMG
its true, take down 1, 10 spring up in there place. it'll never stop. so they should just give up

that's like saying that because catching one robber doesn't stop crime, that there should be no police force because it obviously doesn't work.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Yeah exactly, burn it to a DVD and play it on your huge HD-ready screen atleast. Dim the lights down and get some popcorn, much better than having to sit around a bunch of idiots
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by CoreysMonster
I mean, come on, you can't even wait a couple of months? you're basically cutting the movie industry at it's throat, because nobody will even bother going to theaters anymore.

I've actually been thinking about this... How harmful has the internet piracy movement ACTUALLY been? I mean, internet piracy has been available for ten years (give or take). Is there actually less money being put into movies nowadays? Although I don't know for sure, I would probably think that it's an even bigger industry today than it was 10 years ago.
Quote by CoreysMonster
that's like saying that because catching one robber doesn't stop crime, that there should be no police force because it obviously doesn't work.

point taken
Quote by sugirlxz
which is the best music

Quote by Oyface
One tip, don't go to the Pit.
You will get flamed worse than if you actually lived in Hell.
Zombiemonkeys will rape you, and hippos will eat your boogers.
Quote by pwnerer
I've actually been thinking about this... How harmful has the internet piracy movement ACTUALLY been? I mean, internet piracy has been available for ten years (give or take). Is there actually less money being put into movies nowadays? Although I don't know for sure, I would probably think that it's an even bigger industry today than it was 10 years ago.

Piracy has probably hit the gaming and music industry hardest.
maybe if you had a
revolver
you'd
suck less

press
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B Areceive bacon

Gamertag: Seanslaught
PSN: BeastlyBassist
Steam: Beastly396
Quote by pwnerer

Most expensive and most successful movie of all time.

But then again, I believe it was so successful because it gave people something they couldn't get at home. They HAD to go to a theater to experience it the way it was intended to be experienced.

I'm not sure about other movies, though.
Quote by CoreysMonster

Avatar has made almost three billion dollars, and the cinema admission rates have barely changed at all during the last 15 years. The movie industry is doing very well.

Quote by CoreysMonster

If you prefer to watch a multi-million dollar hollywood blockbuster with state-of-the-art special effects and a booming soundtrack in an uncomfortabel chair in a room full of stupid and noisy people, then quite frankly you're an idiot.
Although downloading pirated videos, is illegal, and wrong.
There are lots of rich people out there, many actors that can afford to lose money.
Millionaires, Billionaires.
Of course, it is fair to say these people worked hard to earn their money.
But, I am merely a humble worker who, during this economic crisis has to pay his own, and his mothers bills while also being owed substantial amounts of money from his brother.
So, say I am to download some videos from the web? or some music?
They say the industry is suffering, but eh...
What?
Record companies can afford plenty. I have no guilt in my mind.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by Chromex
Avatar has made almost three billion dollars, and the cinema admission rates have barely changed at all during the last 15 years. The movie industry is doing very well.

Read what I posted above you about Avatar. Avatar is a single case, and it offered more than just a movie, which is, IMO, where the majority of its success came from.

Quote by Chromex
If you prefer to watch a multi-million dollar hollywood blockbuster with state-of-the-art special effects and a booming soundtrack in an uncomfortabel chair in a room full of stupid and noisy people, then quite frankly you're an idiot.

No, you're just not a shut-in, people-hating individual.

Seriously, who doesn't love the movies? The smell of the popcorn and nachos, the stupid commercials before the movie, seeing the projector light flickering, there's a bunch of stuff that make the movies great.
And I dunno what movie theaters you go to, but the chairs here are great and the people nearly always very quiet.
Quote by CoreysMonster

But then again, I believe it was so successful because it gave people something they couldn't get at home. They HAD to go to a theater to experience it the way it was intended to be experienced.

The fact is that more and more movies are experiencing this, with the dawn of the new 3D age. I don't think that theaters will suffer at all, I see people at the theater all the time. I think that pirating probably only really affects home release (DVD, Bluray) sales.
Quote by Nameless742

Record companies can afford plenty. I have no guilt in my mind.

Problem is, more than plenty is being pirated.

As to the article, to be honest, what did they expect? I don't really see why this is particularly newsworthy. Illegal enteprises are shut down every day.
Up The Boro!
Quote by The Contagen
The fact is that more and more movies are experiencing this, with the dawn of the new 3D age. I don't think that theaters will suffer at all, I see people at the theater all the time. I think that pirating probably only really affects home release (DVD, Bluray) sales.

then again, aren't there alot of movies that, even though they do poorly in theaters, earn alot through DVD sales?
Quote by Donkey Puncher
Not ninjavideo! Where am I gonna watch Friends, now?!

I used ninjavideo for SO many things... HBO shows, 'movie of the day', House, etc...

It makes me sad to think that it is gone But I know that another one will spring up soon... I just hope it will be as easy to use and good as ninja. RIP.
Quote by CoreysMonster
then again, aren't there alot of movies that, even though they do poorly in theaters, earn alot through DVD sales?

That's usually more of a cult fan thing with obsessed teenagers that buy 20 copies of the same film to try and get it a lot of sales.
Quote by CoreysMonster

I'm purely guessing here, but could that be down to the age of the audience? I can't see respectable middle aged men illegally torrenting films. Could be wrong.
Up The Boro!
Eh, for the very few films I've pirated, it's really a pain in the arse for me to go to the pictures. It's a good £3-4 for the bus, and then £5-7 to go into the actual theatre, which is just old and not really that good.

I'd rather just get the DVD than go get the film. Infact, the films that I've pirated, I've ended up buying anyway.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
The studios say they lose hundreds of millions annually to piracy.

they make hundreds of millions more anyway. you get some and then you want more.

net neutrality ftw!
Gibson RawPower SG 2009 (Zales)
Gibson Hummingbird 70's? (Amy)
Jet City JCA 20 Watt Combo
Dunlop Crybaby wah
MXR 10 Band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by CoreysMonster

Seriously, who doesn't love the movies? The smell of the popcorn and nachos, the stupid commercials before the movie, seeing the projector light flickering, there's a bunch of stuff that make the movies great.
And I dunno what movie theaters you go to, but the chairs here are great and the people nearly always very quiet.

+1
The cinemas are great. It's usually a great experience.
comfy, warm, loud, and quite exciting.
I guess lots of people these days have made their living rooms into that,
Huge Tele, or even overhead projectors.
plenty of snacks or whatever in the fridge, or even a takeway to eat.
Still, it is good the buy a quality DVD and watch that.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by Nameless742
Although downloading pirated videos, is illegal, and wrong.
There are lots of rich people out there, many actors that can afford to lose money.
Millionaires, Billionaires.
Of course, it is fair to say these people worked hard to earn their money.
But, I am merely a humble worker who, during this economic crisis has to pay his own, and his mothers bills while also being owed substantial amounts of money from his brother.

Get out any of your DVDs or videos, and watch the credits.

Count the millionaires. Then count the rest.
Quote by CoreysMonster

Hollywood is pretty immune from piracy. If there's that amazing film you've been waiting for for years that you and your mates wanna see, you'll go to the theatre, no biggie.
I often go to the theatre to see a crap film, I just like the movie theatre!

It's the smaller films and independant films that will suffer. There's less publicity so you're not going to be sure if you'll like it, so chances are you're happy to watch it on your PC monitor for free rather than pay £6.
The web-generation have become accustomed to not expecting to have to pay. Which is good and bad. Basically anything that will thrive on the web (like indie films) is going to have to be free for the audience, they need another way to make money.

Oh, and I don't think theatres will last It's becoming quite cheap to make a HD home theatre and we're a stones throw away from having 3D TV's as standard.
Last edited by vitchb at Jul 1, 2010,
Quote by CoreysMonster

How does that make you an idiot? If anything it'd make you a criminal at best. I can admit to pirating some new movies, mainly because every time I go to a theater (at a reasonable time, not at midnight or nine in the morning), then there's a bunch of loud jackasses there that usually try to be funny by yelling shit out, or just people who can't turn off their damn phones.

I think at the same times as movies being released theatrically, Netflix or some other company should rent out the movies either on your computer, or sending you the DVD itself.

Think about it, pay $7 (will be over $15 with all the snacks), to go to a crowded movie theater, with a bunch of morons and jackasses, paying for overpriced food, because you can't bring your own in, and not finding a good seat. How enjoyable is that? Not to mention, you'd have to be there at the specific times, which might not work for you, or it could be sold out!

Or you could pay $7 to rent the movie either to your computer, (which you could in turn hook up to your television), or for them to send you the DVD to watch at your own time, in your own environment, with your own food, in your own damned house.

Which would you rather do?
Gear:

Early 90's B.C. Rich STIII N.J. Series, Red Sparkle
1988 Charvel Model 4, Firecrackle - Retired
2003-04s Ibanez RG1570 Prestige, Gray Nickel
Line 6 Spidervalve HD100 MK1 with Marshall VS412
Quote by Oddsbodkins
I'm purely guessing here, but could that be down to the age of the audience? I can't see respectable middle aged men illegally torrenting films. Could be wrong.

This guy asks you to pirate his stuff.

(Yes, he's a musician, but he's still trying to prevent corporate douchebags from making tons of money off of someone else's stuff.)
Arrr, tis a sad day me mateys...
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Oddsbodkins
As to the article, to be honest, what did they expect? I don't really see why this is particularly newsworthy. Illegal enteprises are shut down every day.

Well these happen to be some of the biggest pirating websites around.
Quote by MetalHeadMat
How does that make you an idiot? If anything it'd make you a criminal at best. I can admit to pirating some new movies, mainly because every time I go to a theater (at a reasonable time, not at midnight or nine in the morning), then there's a bunch of loud jackasses there that usually try to be funny by yelling shit out, or just people who can't turn off their damn phones.

I think at the same times as movies being released theatrically, Netflix or some other company should rent out the movies either on your computer, or sending you the DVD itself.

Think about it, pay $7 (will be over $15 with all the snacks), to go to a crowded movie theater, with a bunch of morons and jackasses, paying for overpriced food, because you can't bring your own in, and not finding a good seat. How enjoyable is that? Not to mention, you'd have to be there at the specific times, which might not work for you, or it could be sold out!

Or you could pay $7 to rent the movie either to your computer, (which you could in turn hook up to your television), or for them to send you the DVD to watch at your own time, in your own environment, with your own food, in your own damned house.

Which would you rather do?

reserve seats, go to a decent movie theater, smuggle in your own snacks or just dont get any, and new movies are played every day most of the times, so I don't really see where the problem is.
lrn2movies

I'd still rather go to the movies.

Unless it was as a date.
Then definately at home, so post-movie cuddling can turn into post-movie sex without having to drive home.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jul 1, 2010,
Quote by blue_strat
This guy has already sold 20 million albums.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nine_inch_nails

Understandable. I'd say my point only applies to piraters of huge blockbuster movies.

The indie film scene is a different story, and tbh I'm not really in the know when it comes to that. Personally I think indie directors should focus on simultaneously releasing films to both theaters and to the internet (for a fee). This way people who enjoy going to the theater can see the movie right away and people who don't can see the movie on their home computers. The money left over should be spent on advertising the hell out of their movie so that it gets attention.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Unless it was as a date.
Then definately at home, so post-movie cuddling can turn into post-movie sex without having to drive home.
Drive home?
Cinemas are plenty dark, you know.

>_>

<_<

And this thread has boiled down to the same old argument of 'can piracy be justified?'. Same arguments on both sides, and few are changing their minds. I don't do it, but all my reasons have been written in a thousand posts before me.

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter:
Quote by pwnerer
Well these happen to be some of the biggest pirating websites around.

Compared to The Pirate Bay, IsoHunt, BT Junkie, TorrentReactor, Demonoid etc?