Page 1 of 2
Hi

i have seen a nice looking gear4music tobacca sunburst les paul copy with a set neck, that they sell for £109. It has the trapezium inlays the same shape of gibsons.
gear4music also sell a black lp copy for £95.

I'm trying to draw up a list of cheaper les paul copies.

Does anyone know where i can find a decent looking les paul copy for cheaper than £110?

Thanks.
just get £9 more and get a Epiphone Les pauil Special II to be honest.. however the colours aint that nice (burst wise) but the white black and red ones are quite nice.
Quote by TrueSlawer
just get £9 more and get a Epiphone Les pauil Special II to be honest.. however the colours aint that nice (burst wise) but the white black and red ones are quite nice.

Not my cup of tea.

the gear4music les pauls look like the real deal. the epi LP specials dont. Id never buy gibson,epiphone fender or squier - you're just paying for the name.

My goal would then be to put some tonerider alnico pups in for £40-50 - voila un real les paul!

I wish theyd do a cherry sunburst thoough, as i dont really like tobacco sunburst les pauls, nor black.
Last edited by madeinchina1 at Jul 1, 2010,
just to let you know.. G4M guitars aint the best ive got a G4M strat copy (my 1st guitar, i now use a epip. LPSII).. it may look the same but they dont sound close or play that well personally.
Quote by madeinchina1
Not my cup of tea.

the gear4music les pauls look like the real deal. the epi LP specials dont. Id never buy gibson,epiphone fender or squier - you're just paying for the name.

My goal would then be to put some tonerider alnico pups in for £40-50 - voila un real les paul!

I wish theyd do a cherry sunburst thoough, as i dont really like tobacco sunburst les pauls, nor black.

yup gibson invented the les paul.
and epiphone is basicly a cheaper version of it.
Ridiculously cheap les paul could come back to bite you; that saving you get generally means money isn't being spent on reliable electronics, quality finishes and resonant woods.
Quote by TrueSlawer
just to let you know.. G4M guitars aint the best ive got a G4M strat copy (my 1st guitar, i now use a epip. LPSII).. it may look the same but they dont sound close or play that well personally.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alnico-V-Single-Coil-Pickups-Strat-Squier-White-Gold_W0QQitemZ170502340430QQihZ007QQcategoryZ42455QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I put some of these pups in my budget strat. It now sounds pretty close to the real deal.
Quote by ParasiticTwins
Ridiculously cheap les paul could come back to bite you; that saving you get generally means money isn't being spent on reliable electronics, quality finishes and resonant woods.

Yes.

the g4m les pauls look like the real deal, which is what i want. If it doesnt look close to the real deal im not interested. eg. non gibson style trapezoid inlays that are say - square.
I really think you'd ought to be careful with this; i'd personally recommend Epiphone, as they are the only guitars that can legally be identical. These cheaper models by unknown brands always have a catch, and ultimately won't be worth the money.
Maybe i should stick with strats & tele style guitars. I have 4 of them & they are cheaper.

Trouble is - i want a les paul so i can also pretend im jimmy page in my bedroom mirror
Quote by madeinchina1
Maybe i should stick with strats & tele style guitars. I have 4 of them & they are cheaper.

Trouble is - i want a les paul so i can also pretend im jimmy page in my bedroom mirror

get an epiphone...
Consider selling your cheaper guitars to get an all-round better instrument, such as an Epiphone? I'm guilty of buying guitars just because they're cheap myself, but ultimately you gain very little. Quality instruments are the way to go.
Quote by Viter
get an epiphone...

i think the G4M are probably as cheap as i will get in terms of gibson lookalike.

i wouldnt mind a 2nd hand cheap lp copy off ebay. I have bought 2 2nd hand strat copies off ebay, but LP copies are fewer & further between & more expensive than strat copies.

Hopefully, in a year or 2 there will be an abundance of LP copies on ebay 2nd hand, as more & more made in china models look for new homes. It is my job to rescue them!
The Harley Benton Les Pauls available from thomann.de
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Harley Benton... hell no.

Seriously, i couldn't think of a worse brand to blow money on, unless of course you love that rich, plywood tone.

Don't be stingy, shell out that little extra and avoid ending up with a guitar thats sounds/plays shit.
i haven't tried those g4m ones, but my concern is that they're too cheap. yes, with the big brands some of the money is going towards the name, but not all of it is, and it's certainly not the case that you can get the same thing as a £3k gibson historic for £100 if you go with an off-brand, lol.

take a look at vintages, maybe?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i haven't tried those g4m ones, but my concern is that they're too cheap. yes, with the big brands some of the money is going towards the name, but not all of it is, and it's certainly not the case that you can get the same thing as a £3k gibson historic for £100 if you go with an off-brand, lol.

take a look at vintages, maybe?

^^
This. Vintage make some pretty tasty copies, with a lot more variety than most i.e. P90's.
Save up a little money and go with a Yamaha copy, I played one of the older Yamaha Les Paul copy guitars from the 80's, and I have to say, it was a hell of a lot better sounding and playing guitar than any of the legit Gibson Les Pauls I've ever played.

...Apparently they don't sell them for $300 anymore...go used.
Quote by madeinchina1
Not my cup of tea.

Paying for the name with Squire???!!!
With a username like made in china I can guess your preferences. Wash your hands after playing guitar, lead can be absorbed thru the skin.
Moving on.....
Gear4Music is not worth it, especially if you already have 4 cheap guitars, do you really need another cheap guitar? There don't sound as good, and they dont play as nicely, the later you cont really do much about!
It would be more worth it to have one reasonably good one rather than 5 bad guitars!
Last edited by jaybals at Jul 1, 2010,
well you are to a certain extent with squier, i mean it says "squier by fender" on it. Not as much as fender, but more than some random brand.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ParasiticTwins
So, to be clear, you're purely looking for appearance and not tonal quality or long-term reliability?

No.

I want a quality solidly built LP lookalike, that i will probably fit some tonerider alnico pups to http://www.dangleberrymusic.co.uk/m-15-tonerider-pickups.aspx & i will have an instrument that will sound pretty damn close to the real thing!

The main thing is to get good build quality & lookalikeness for as cheap as possible b4 changing any pups.
Quote by jaybals
Gear4Music is not worth it, especially if you already have 4 cheap guitars, do you really need another cheap guitar? There don't sound as good, and they dont play as nicely, the later you cont really do much about!
It would be more worth it to have one reasonably good one rather than 5 bad guitars!

http://www.dangleberrymusic.co.uk/p-1195-richwood-guitars-les-paul-copy-cherryburst-les-paul-standard-bag-picks-strap.aspx

Yeah, maybe.

This Richwood LP is £160 & already comes with alnico pups & set neck. Really nice finish & doesnt need anything doing to it. the inlays seem sqyuare, without sloping sides as with gibson, but what the hell!

TBH I am not too fussed about set necks. In some ways, i prefer the bolt on neck way, in case of damage etc.
Quote by daverichards
get a used vintage LP, well worth it.

Yes

ive been following these on ebay, he auctions quite a few, & appear good.
VINTAGE-V100HB-LES-PAUL
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-V100HB-LES-PAUL-HONEY-BURST-JAH-001-/350370015583?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item5193ae295f

I've already won a sunburst encore P Bass style off him for £29 that had chipped veneer!

All his stock is slight seconds, such as smeered lacquer, where someone in the factory has done something to it b4 the lacquer dried solid.
If you are so set on the "real look" then a copy brand isn't going to work out for you. They all have to change the original design, so the headstocks will be diffrrent, the cutaway/horn will be different, the curve or dimensions of the main body mass will be different, the top wil be carved differently, etc.

Also, a pickup change won't make up for crap body and neck woods, especially when the pickups you're talking about are Toneriders which are no better than the stock Epiphone pickups (in fact, they're the same). You'll be far, far better off buying a second hand Epiphone LP Standard. Better woods, better hardware, better electronics, better construction, the ''real'' look in every regard. And if you think with Epi/Gibson/Squier/Fender you're just "paying for the name", then quite simply you're a ****ing tool of the highest order, there's no other way to put it.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Aint worth it man..

At least get a Vintage or Epiphone..
My Gear:
Epiphone LP Black Beauty (2007)| Washburn WM24K (2008)| Ibanez Iceman IC300 (2003)| Ibanez GRX40 (2004) w Gold Lace Sensors| Roland Microcube| Marshall G10MK.II Amp| Zoom G2.1u| BOSS Metal Zone

Yes, I am a simple guy.
Quote by MrFlibble
If you are so set on the "real look" then a copy brand isn't going to work out for you. They all have to change the original design, so the headstocks will be diffrrent, the cutaway/horn will be different, the curve or dimensions of the main body mass will be different, the top wil be carved differently, etc.

Also, a pickup change won't make up for crap body and neck woods, especially when the pickups you're talking about are Toneriders which are no better than the stock Epiphone pickups (in fact, they're the same). You'll be far, far better off buying a second hand Epiphone LP Standard. Better woods, better hardware, better electronics, better construction, the ''real'' look in every regard. And if you think with Epi/Gibson/Squier/Fender you're just "paying for the name", then quite simply you're a ****ing tool of the highest order, there's no other way to put it.

*Hugs this guy*
Actually, i think im gonna stay a M.I.C. strat/tele man.

i have an aria stg 005 H-H pup configuration. I can get some better quality alnico pups on it & it will do the LP job.
It is more versatile than an LP with 6 possible pickup settings, compared to 3 on a les paul, & in tobacco sunburst with black scratchplate, looks pretty cool.

The only other electric guitar i could possibly need that will offer something considerably different is an es335 style hollow body one like this westfield e7000
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Westfield-E7000-335-Style-Electric-Guitar-Cherry---New_W0QQitemZ230463661699QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&rvr_id=&cguid=92884b421290a0aad0c067c0fe753659
Quote by ParasiticTwins
Harley Benton... hell no.

Seriously, i couldn't think of a worse brand to blow money on, unless of course you love that rich, plywood tone.

Don't be stingy, shell out that little extra and avoid ending up with a guitar thats sounds/plays shit.

Harley Benton Les Pauls are made of alder. And if you change the electronics, they're surprisingly good guitars for the money.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by MrFlibble

Also, a pickup change won't make up for crap body and neck woods, especially when the pickups you're talking about are Toneriders which are no better than the stock Epiphone pickups (in fact, they're the same).

can that be true? I mean, the stock epi pickups are fairly rubbish (and have the rep of being so) while toneriders have a pretty good rep, certainly for the price they go for.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by MrFlibble

No, the guitar is made to a slightly higher specification (unless its one of those crappy road worn series, which for the life in me i just dont get ) & a £700 fender strat is a better guitar than a £70 aria strat. But it is NOT ten times better.
At best it will be three times as good, so that takes you to £200 max.
The extra £500, how do fender justify that?
Well it seems to me that this excess is there to boost profits, justified by way of the companies reputation & "labour costs".

the pups in the best fender strats at most will cost £15 to manufacture.

I suggest anyone who cannot see the flimsy logic in blowing all this extra hard earned cash on a fender strat is themselves the "f***ing tool"!
Anyway, i think i will cool it on the guitar buying front. I already have too many for my needs. I have 8. Really i only need 3 (electric +classical + acoustic).

They may all have cost me £30 each on average, but they all do come with their own life force, just like a more expensive guitar would. And like he said in Fight Club - everything you own ends up owning you!

Its just more junk to keep in boxes gathering dust that i have to step around in my house.

Esecially when, like i said b4, my favourite guitar playing mode is playing the electric unplugged!
"My goal would then be to put some tonerider alnico pups in for £40-50 - voila un real les paul! "

You are dreaming if you think this is the case. The G4M guitars are very cheap for a reason - they are made from poor materials & finished to a low standard. The strat copy I tried went out of tune all the time and generally felt like it would last only a short time of any serious use before breaking. The strat copy belonged to my 9 year old nephew & it was fine for letting a child try out guitar to see if they take to it, but not for anything more.

As others have already said, try out the Vintage Les Paul copies. The V99 is cheap (looks good but with bolt-on neck) and the V100 only a little more (set neck). In terms of manufacturing quality they are way ahead of G4M.
Quote by Viter
yup gibson invented the les paul.
and epiphone is basicly a cheaper version of it.

Ermm Les Paul invented the Les Paul, thats why theyre called Les Pauls...
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Tanglewood Evo Exotic TSF CE XFM

Amps
Vox Night Train w/ V112NT
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-7
Diezel VH4

"Negative, I am a meat popsicle"
Quote by barfrog
Ermm Les Paul invented the Les Paul, thats why theyre called Les Pauls...

Gibson provided most of the design of the Les Paul. Mr Paul provided colour, bridge and the maple cap. He apparently wanted all maple but Gibson convinced him it would be too heavy, hence the mahogany body. Even the original bridge didn't work, there was a miscommunication and the strings ended up wrapping under the bridge rendering the 52's basically unplayable.

Les Paul is more accredited with the concept of the solid body electric guitar, he tried to get people interested in it before Fender released the broadcaster. When it took off, Gibson was ready to listen more.
Moving on.....
Erm

TS, you will never achieve ANYTHING LIKE the sound of a Gibson LP with a no-name copy for £100.

My advice to you is try Squires and Pacificas, and maybe Epiphones if you have enough money.

Do not go out of your way to buy a guitar that looks like an LP because the only people it will fool is people who think the only types of guitars are 'acoustic' and 'electric'...

EDIT:

I cannot honestly believe you have bought 8 guitars for around £30 each...

If it was me, rather than buying a 9th guitar for £100, sell all of them and buy something that's actually half decent.

Also TS, you say your favourite mode of playing guitar is unplugged... in that case pickups mean bugger all, and if you arn't even going to use an amplifier I take back what I said about buying a decent guitar because it would be a complete waste of money.
Last edited by Random3 at Jul 3, 2010,
Quote by KenG
Gibson provided most of the design of the Les Paul. Mr Paul provided colour, bridge and the maple cap. He apparently wanted all maple but Gibson convinced him it would be too heavy, hence the mahogany body. Even the original bridge didn't work, there was a miscommunication and the strings ended up wrapping under the bridge rendering the 52's basically unplayable.

Les Paul is more accredited with the concept of the solid body electric guitar, he tried to get people interested in it before Fender released the broadcaster. When it took off, Gibson was ready to listen more.

I guess even the great man himself wasnt perfect

I always thought "the Les Paul shape" was his design, guess i got it a little mixed up...
Guitars
Ibanez RG350MYE
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Tanglewood Evo Exotic TSF CE XFM

Amps
Vox Night Train w/ V112NT
Vox Valvetronix VT30

GAS List
MIA Strat
Schecter Blackjack ATX C-7
Diezel VH4

"Negative, I am a meat popsicle"