Hello all. So My little brother has been watching me play for the past few months and has decided he'd like to give guitar a try too. The trouble is he doesn't want to spend a whole lot of money, because he's not 100% sure if this is something he wants to stick with.

The easy answer here would be for him to go for a Squier affinity strat, but since everyone and their dog plays a stratocaster (Including me - 2003 MIM), I was wondering if folks here have any suggestions in that price range that I could go look at with him just for variety's sake.

The music would probably be mostly classic rock. As far as an Amp goes, I'll probably just give him my old Fender Frontman 25R.

Price range is probably 150 at most. Thanks in advance for the advice!

[Edit]: So it's looking like my brother is willing to go to 200/250. Does anyone know anything about the Agile AL-2000s? How do they compare to other guitars in their price range?

Cheers,
~ C
Last edited by Cajanek at Jul 3, 2010,
Get him a bass. Maybe you guys can be the next Oasis or Hanson or whatever.
you could get a used guitar, i saw a used GAX70 in good condition for $120 and I owe one and they are a really good beginners guitar
Dempseys68's Chord
e|0
B|5
G|0
D|5
A|0
E|5 Only Gingers and Dempsey can use!
Oh Gingonia Oh Gingonia, We pledge our orangeness to thee. We are so Frickin' white like candles in the night
Oh Gingonia Oh Gingonia We pledge our SPF Ging to thee
Hmm sounds good. I'll give em all a look.

I am a little hesitant about the lower end epiphones though... I head bad things about those (especially the special IIs)
The LP 100 Epi's aren't bad at all, I stuck a SD Pearly Gates pickup in the bridge of mine and still use it. For a beginner, it's not a bad guitar at all. You could probably find a LP100 in his budget on Craigslist.
If he's willing to go slightly more (250-300), he could get a used MIM strat. If he decides he doesn't like it, he'll be able to resell for practically the same price. Plus, it won't suck.
'08 Fender Deluxe Blackout Telecaster
'08 Squier Jagmaster w/ 2 DiMarzio PAFs (DP103/DP223)
'91 Seagull S6 CW Acoustic/Electric
Fender Super Champ XD
Digitech Whammy WH-4
EHX Big Muff Pi (NYC)
Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ
From what people post on here, Agiles are pretty decent guitars. I have an Agile AL-2000 and while it doesn't compare to higher end guitars, I think it's good for the money.
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.
Squier Classic Vibe stuff would be dope, like the Custom Tele.

The Duo-Sonic would be great too with a small scale neck and very simple controls and set-up. Not to mention it looks awesome.
As scream said, check out www.rondomusic.com. They sell Agiles and other branded guitars such as the SX and Douglas. I've heard GREAT things about Agile, but not much about the other two. They have a great return policy though.

I'm sure you'll find SOMETHING in the price range you're looking for. They have a large selection of guitars that from what I hear are very good for the price.
Go to local music stores and check out what they have. Buy off the net sight unseen as a last resort unless it is a custom such as Carvin. You have experience with guitars so take your brother shopping.You can steer him away from the junk plus, there are great deals to be had in the used market today.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Go to a local music shop, check out all the guitars in your price range. Then look for flaws at the guitars (uneven nut, bridge not routed properly, too much fret buzz, neck cracks, etc).
Yep the music shop was already very much part of the plan... the problem is he's sort of in love with the LP shape, and I'm afraid there wont be much in store in his price range that will be - well playable, especially coming through a little fender frontman.
Do not buy an epiphone Special II... I bought it because it was cheap and had kind of the LP look (and I didn't know anything about guitar and if I would keep playing)... well it sucks ! It is that bad it kept me from playing because there was tons of fret buzz, bad pickups and so on. When you're a beginner it's important that you don't sound worse because your guitar is crappy.
Quote by Doogy-Style
Do not buy an epiphone Special II... I bought it because it was cheap and had kind of the LP look (and I didn't know anything about guitar and if I would keep playing)... well it sucks ! It is that bad it kept me from playing because there was tons of fret buzz, bad pickups and so on. When you're a beginner it's important that you don't sound worse because your guitar is crappy.

Fret buzz is a setup problem not a problem with an entire line or manufacturer of guitars. When buying a guitar no matter the price expect to pay for or do a set up to to get the guitar to play to your taste.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
^ yeah but the action is allready high and the playbility pretty bad so I don't think you could find a better compromise. Of course I'm no expert.

But to give you an idea I struggle really badly for bar chords on my Special II, while I do them easy on my PRS SE... The PRS is fitted with 9 gauge strings while the epiphone is 10, but the PRS has a slightly longer scale.

To cut long story short, the epiphone Special II has a bad playability, and a bad tone too...
Teach him some simple stuff on your guitar and see if he wants to keep going with it before he buys his own?
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by GNR4EVER
Teach him some simple stuff on your guitar and see if he wants to keep going with it before he buys his own?

I've been teaching him on a squier strat I borrowed from a friend (it's kind of been beat to hell since my buddy had it lying around the dorms for a year, but it gets the job done), and he seems about ready for his own.

Also, as far as the special II conversation that's going on above is concerned, the verdict I've gotten from a lot of folks here, friends, and a buddy who works at a local music store is that most epis that go for under 300 are flaming piles of ass. This is just what I've been told though.
Maybe he should try the ESP ec50 if he wants a LP shape ? I don't know if it's any good but it fits your budget.