HI,

I've got an Ibanez SA260FM, since christmas, I've been through about 15 top E (the thinner one) strings. I thought it might just be the way I was playing, cos i'm quite heavy with my strumming/muting, then a mate tried to change a string and got through three before one didn't snap.

Does anyone else have this issue? Any ideas what might be causing it/how I prevent it. I don't really use the trem arm, but as they're not great for holding tuning, as soon as a string goes it throws the whole guitar massively out of tune, which is obviously a nightmare when playing live!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Chet
What kind of strings? Checked for any sharp edges? Nicks in the fret? Does it break in the same place every time? How long does the string last?
my S470 had that problem before, but after i got it set up properly, i never break a string, i've only replaced them cause they got old and shit from then on, so set her up properly, and the chances are, it'll be perfect from then on.

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Block your trem, if there still is a problem then its your playing.
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
mine was breaking at the bridge, so if yours is the same... i'd say try my solution.
If you can do it yourself, it's free. and if you get someone else to di, it's pretty inexpensive, and u can alos get them to get the frets all flat and fix up action and everything also... which is always nice.

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
When you replace the string be careful not to bind it. If strings get a tiny kink in them it's only a matter of time before they snap. When your friend replaced it, it was fine right? So relearn how to string your guitar, a good setup never hurt either. I used to have this problem, now when I buy a new guitar(new to me anyway),I have it setup by this older guy(he's a luthier) I know and everything is fine.

And remember playing guitar is like making love to a beautiful woman gentle, thoughtful, and precise is the way to go. Strumming too hard turns the poor girl off and she doesn't want to play with you anymore because you play to rough. Be nice, subtle, and respectful she'll come around.
Last edited by winged136 at Jul 1, 2010,
Hi,

I know this post is from ages ago, but I had exactly the same problem, I had it set up properly by a pro at the local shop, I had some work done on the bridge cos they thought there might have been a sharp edge, but no luck. it just kept eating strings. Maybe I play a little heavy, but I'm far from thrash metal in style and Ibanez are designed for metal guitarists, so I was very disappointed. Maybe try a thicker guage string, but that would mean having it reset in the shop cos of the trem.

In the end I had to get a new guitar, spent a little more and got a Gibson LPJ, no problem since - implying it wasn't my playing style.

Cheers