I finally decided to go for the hi gain Hiwatt I'm just not sure if I should go for the basic one or the one with the FX loop, I may want to add some delay on the distorted channel
I'm not sure if I'll be able to do that without an effect loop
which one would you go for ? the basic or the SER with effect loop ?
It depends on how your amp takes the pedals... I know, for example, that some players run delays and similar out of an effects loop (I.E. the edge), without a problem.

That being said, if you can try it out, the delay in the loop and out of it, then I think that's your best bet as it's very much a dependent factor on your tastes, your amp, and your delay.
"Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you." - Aldous Huxley
Here's the main difference that you'll notice (I'll leave off line level signal and whatnot and just talk about sound). The amount of distortion you get is dependent on the input strength so lets see what happens when the delay is in front. Each repeat has a lower volume yes? So it drives the amp less = less distortion on each successive repeat. ie the delays "clean up" over time.
Now with the delay in the loop? The signal is distorted and then fed into the delay. The delay will then reproduce that distorted sound again and again, reducing in volume but not distortion.
I actually like the delays to get less distorted, it makes the initial strike more pronounced, plus echoes do change over time in the wild. I think it sounds more natural.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jul 1, 2010,
Quote by WtrPlyr
If you're only using delay on the clean channel like you say in your post you don't need an FXloop.

Very succinct and to the point - correct too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I wouldn't play an amp w/o an effects loop. My delay, EQ etc are in the loop and that's the way I like it .
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
Quote by WtrPlyr
If you're only using delay on the clean channel like you say in your post you don't need an FXloop.
But he didn't say that. He said he may want it on the distortion. So yeah, you'll want an FX loop.

Unfortunately the info on this amp is lacking. There are no specs, so good luck figuring out what it's compatible with. By default you should probably assume it's line level.
Quote by fly135
But he didn't say that. He said he may want it on the distortion. So yeah, you'll want an FX loop.

Unfortunately the info on this amp is lacking. There are no specs, so good luck figuring out what it's compatible with. By default you should probably assume it's line level.

Wut! He must have edited it, I could swear he said he'd only use it on the clean channel
Even a "high-gain" hiwatt doesn't have gobs of preamp gain. It should be clean enough to work just fine with a delay in front. An effects loop is really useful if you've got a reverb, noise gate, delay, and an EQ and a metal amp with a lot of preamp gain. With a delay pedal and a hiwatt, save your money.