I already have classical, electric and bass guitars and now I want to buy an (electro)acoustic guitar. 90% of the time I will play it unplugged (at home, campfire) because I have a Line 6 Flextone III XL amp and I'm not planning to buy an acoustic amp.
So, acoustic seems like the way to go, BUT sometimes I will want to record and what I don't know is how well direct recording works with electro acoustic guitars. Is the quality good or is it better to record with a condenser mic (I have one, I just don't like dealing with background hiss, you can hear the pick hitting the strings etc.)?

My main guitar is still the electric guitar so I won't be using the acoustic one that often, that's why I'm looking for something really cheap (I'm writing this because el cheapo electro acoustic guitars probably have sh!tty pups and that might have an influence on the choice, too)

What would you suggest?
Michael
Last edited by mspunk13 at Jul 1, 2010,
How well it records depends on a number of factors: the quality of its electronics (if you DI), your microphone (if you play unplugged), your recording equipment, etc., not to mention what you personally think sounds best. I've heard good recordings done both ways. I've also heard some pretty lousy ones. There's no right or wrong way to do it.

I personally prefer to mic a straight acoustic, since you're capturing the guitar's actual sound and not just a simulation. As far as background hiss, there are many ways to reduce that, including software noise reduction filters.

My question for you is, what's your price range? If you're looking for something below around $500, I'd say ditch the electronics and go for the best straight acoustic you can. Otherwise you're probably getting a lesser quality guitar, compared to a non-electro at the same price point, and rather cheap electronics. Frankly, unless you need to run through a PA or something, I don't think electronics are really worth the hassle.
Thanks for the answer!
This must sound silly, but although I've played since I was six, I'm looking for something as cheap as possible, the cheaper the better. I'd say up to $200 for an acoustic or $300 for an electro acoustic guitar. So that pretty much solves my problem, I'll go for an acoustic guitar.

What do you think about Fender CD-60? It's only $140 here where I live (in Poland, legit offer. I'm amazed, most guitars here cost ca. twice as much as in the States). But I travel to the US pretty often so I can also get my guitar there if you have other suggestions.

edit: maybe a Yamaha, an Ibanez or an Epiphone?
Michael
Last edited by mspunk13 at Jul 1, 2010,
Yamaha tend to be the best in that price range. Epiphones can be hit and miss (the Masterbilts are OK), and I'd avoid Fender and Ibanez completely.

Most good acoustics start around $300, although there are a couple good ones for less. Some specific ones I'd recommend are the Yamaha FG700S, FG730S, and FGX720SCA (the last one has electronics and a cutaway). If you can get them nearby, Seagull makes some pretty nice ones as well -- I own two, and they easily hold their own next to any high-end guitar I've heard.

Nothing wrong with lower-priced gear, IMHO. You should see some of the stuff I have -- among others, a $40 toy keyboard from K-Mart and a guitar amp they should have paid me to take away. Now that's as cheap as possible
Thanks a lot, well then, I'll try to look for a used FG730s and see if I can get for 200$ shipped. If not, I'll buy the FG720S but before I do that, I'll also go to my local music store and try out low-end European models: F310 and F370 and compare them to the FG720S.
Michael