Ok, well until today when I discovered this amazing forum, I had no idea what a 'fret' or a 'bout' was, so I am a complete beginner at guitars however I am very eager to learn how to play. I've now extensively read the excellent help pages, FAQ's, and countless reviews about different acoustic guitars, their prices, their tones and their durability on this forum and I hope I'm now ready to ask a few questions myself!

First of all, as I've never actually played a guitar I have no real preference for what sounds I want to create. I want to try and impress friends, so I want a nice strumming sound as opposed to picking - I really want to get a good rythym going and beat rather than just picking out a slow tune! - something fast paced would be great - a bit like 'Mumford and Sons' or 'Bright Eyes' - I really love that kind of fast paced folky/indie kind of sound, or even 'Violent Femmes'.

So yeah, that's what I want, a guitar suited to strumming, maybe folk/indie . Does anyone know what kind of brand would be suited to this?

Secondly my price range is anything below £150 (this is about $225 or EURO 183) - I want to try and get the maximum amount of value out of this price tag.

I have found a couple of guitars that may be suited to these preferences, the Yamaha F310 in particular, especially as it has great reviews, a nice look (I prefer the lighter coloured wood, I think Cedar/Spruce as opposed to Mahogany dark), and also a great price tag for entry level. Secondly, I looked at the Fender DG-85 which is a bit more expensive but, again has good reviews, is suited to a beginner/intermed. and folk/indie.

Anyway, I guess above I am just scattering my thoughts rather than asking questions - really I'm just trying to find a beginners guitar under $225, with a nice strumming sound and a light wood. I'm planning on visiting a few guitar stores around my area (London) and having a real play at some of the guitars

If anyone has any ideas on what would be a good choice, that would be great. Thanks for reading!
Go for the F310 - it was my first guitar and I stay play it 3 years since I started. I'm holding it right now infact.
Hehe nice, although I think, seeing as I want more an emphasis on folk/indie that I would want nylon strings - does the F310 offer this?
I've got an F310, and I know a few very good guitar players who rate it highly as a beginner's instrument. I bought it from the good reviews and also with the logic that I didnt want to spend too much until I knew I really wanted to play.

Dunno about nylon strings tho.
Quote by Failtrip
I want to try and impress friends

Thumbs up for honesty and prior research!

The Yamaha F310 is a great suggestion. It's only for steel strings, but you'll be happy with it for all types of playing, including folk and indie. Once you learn to play a bit, deciding to continue with steel or nylon will be a much easier decision. Good luck!
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Jul 1, 2010,
Quote by GC Shred Off
Thumbs up for honesty and prior research!

The Yamaha F310 is a great suggestion. It's only for steel strings, but you'll be happy with it for all types of playing, including folk and indie. Once you learn to play a bit, deciding to continue with steel or nylon will be a much easier decision. Good luck!

Thankyou very much for your input! I think I should be going to the coast sometime soon where there is a great guitar centre. I'll have a play with some guitars there and, if the Yamaha F310 is there, then (of course if I like it), then I'll take it .
Quote by Failtrip
Ok, well until today when I discovered this amazing forum, I had no idea what a 'fret' or a 'bout' was, so I am a complete beginner at guitars however I am very eager to learn how to play. I've now extensively read the excellent help pages, FAQ's, and countless reviews about different acoustic guitars, their prices, their tones and their durability on this forum and I hope I'm now ready to ask a few questions myself!

First of all, as I've never actually played a guitar I have no real preference for what sounds I want to create. I want to try and impress friends, so I want a nice strumming sound as opposed to picking - I really want to get a good rythym going and beat rather than just picking out a slow tune! - something fast paced would be great - a bit like 'Mumford and Sons' or 'Bright Eyes' - I really love that kind of fast paced folky/indie kind of sound, or even 'Violent Femmes'.

Violent Femmes, eh? Clearly someone of taste

Quote by Failtrip
So yeah, that's what I want, a guitar suited to strumming, maybe folk/indie . Does anyone know what kind of brand would be suited to this?

Secondly my price range is anything below £150 (this is about $225 or EURO 183) - I want to try and get the maximum amount of value out of this price tag.

I have found a couple of guitars that may be suited to these preferences, the Yamaha F310 in particular,

The Yamaha's a good suggestion, and the one I usually recommend yourself.

If you want a strumming guitar, definitely stick to steel strings. Classicals are designed for playing fingerstyle, and have a completely different sound. That's not to say you can't strum them, of course, but it's probably not the kind of thing you're looking for. I personally hate the things -- sound, feel, pretension, everything.

Quote by Failtrip
especially as it has great reviews, a nice look (I prefer the lighter coloured wood, I think Cedar/Spruce as opposed to Mahogany dark), and also a great price tag for entry level.

Well, take reviews with a grain of salt. Everyone will try to justify their purchase.

Looks really shouldn't factor into it; sound and feel are more important. As far as woods, cedar and spruce are commonly used for the top, while mahagony's back and sides (sometimes top as well). Spruce is light colored, hard, and very bright sounding (lots of treble). Cedar's a bit darker, softer, scratches more easily, and has a warmer sound. That's my personal favorite topwood. Mahogany has a pretty dark sound, and balances nicely with the spruce tone.

Quote by Failtrip
Secondly, I looked at the Fender DG-85 which is a bit more expensive but, again has good reviews, is suited to a beginner/intermed. and folk/indie.

Fender acoustics aren't really that great. You could do worse, but you could also do much better. They've always been primarily an electric guitar company.

Quote by Failtrip
Anyway, I guess above I am just scattering my thoughts rather than asking questions - really I'm just trying to find a beginners guitar under $225, with a nice strumming sound and a light wood. I'm planning on visiting a few guitar stores around my area (London) and having a real play at some of the guitars

If anyone has any ideas on what would be a good choice, that would be great. Thanks for reading!

Looking around and trying everything is really the best thing you can do. Even if you don't know what you're looking for, you'll know when you've found a guitar that sounds and feels right.

If any of your friends/family play, maybe take them along to get a second opinion -- or you could always ask the sales guys to demo an instrument for you, so you can get an idea of the sound. But the most important thing is to try it for yourself.

Oh, by the way, welcome to A & C
Cool, thankyou very much, I think the steel stringed option sounds ideal and the Yamaha is of course the best priced and, after watching a YouTube video of it, looks great too.

I'll be going into town at the weekend and, if I find a nice choice I'll report back. Thanks again!