i was thinking. why are guitar cabs so much? i mean speakers are like 50% but teh rest is just a cheap plywood box with nice appointments.

i have a garage full of equipment and scrap wood from construction. why not just buy 2 speakers and build myself a 2x12 instead of paying 400 for one? that way it would cost me 200 for speakers and say 20-40 for misc parts at lowes. build a box, screw peakers into 12 inch holes, run cables, spray paint box, cover in vynyl, put metal corners on it...screw on some form of handle. would take about 5 hours of non stop work in my garage.

that being said? what are decent speakers that wont break my bank? i mean acceptable quality. anything in the 50-100 range? what about emenescence (however you spell it)??? dont they have decent 60-80 dollar speakers?
If you do this, then look up for plans, because cabinet construction is very important, it's not just a random box with speakers in it. Cabinets are expensive because of this, because it takes a precise construction and therefore more time
why are guitar cabs so much?

Because most people don’t even own the power tools needed to make one.
it would be open back, or semi open. i dont want to mess with extra work of having to get to stuff. plus, the rest of my gear is open back.

but as long as its solid, and you choose open/closed back i dont see what the deal is.

i recently took the speaker out of my amp and saw how simple everything is. its a darn plywood box. any dude who works in construction could probably pump out 100 guitar cabs in a day.

i have enough equipment in my garage to have a guitar custom shop. im not paying for a wooden box. ill pay for the speakers.
Quote by ikey_
it would be open back, or semi open. i dont want to mess with extra work of having to get to stuff. plus, the rest of my gear is open back.

but as long as its solid, and you choose open/closed back i dont see what the deal is.

i recently took the speaker out of my amp and saw how simple everything is. its a darn plywood box. any dude who works in construction could probably pump out 100 guitar cabs in a day.

i have enough equipment in my garage to have a guitar custom shop. im not paying for a wooden box. ill pay for the speakers.

Sorry it is just not that simple....there are calculations that need to be done. IT is basically like building a sub box for your 2-12 Kicker L7 subs. If the box volume is not right your sub will sound like crap!

Also the type of wood and how solid the construction is will really effect the tone It is best to use solid wood if possible if not void-less 3/4" - 18ply plywood is best. Also the best to joint with a dovetail. For solid tight joints. I am on my 4th cab and have really notice a difference in tone as my skills and knowledge have increased with each build as well as wood selection.

Oh ya almost for got the skill that you will need to cover it correctly and all the accessories and wiring the amp correct also....
theDogger
Last edited by theDogger at Jul 1, 2010,
well i can do dovetail, but its a lot more work. that really makes a difference in sound? or just strength? i have a ton of solid wood scrap laying around. and anything solid is better than plywood (assuming its not warped or anything). whatever im saving money so i can buy wood.

and it would be covered with some form of thin vynyl i could just roll over and tack on. why does the handle and junk affect sound?

what wiring? from the speaker to the cab? not a problem. if i can wire a guitar from scratch i can do that connection im pretty sure.

volume? where would i find the volume of a 2x12 open back?
Quote by ikey_
well i can do dovetail, but its a lot more work. that really makes a difference in sound? or just strength? i have a ton of solid wood scrap laying around. and anything solid is better than plywood (assuming its not warped or anything). whatever im saving money so i can buy wood.

and it would be covered with some form of thin vynyl i could just roll over and tack on. why does the handle and junk affect sound?

what wiring? from the speaker to the cab? not a problem. if i can wire a guitar from scratch i can do that connection im pretty sure.

volume? where would i find the volume of a 2x12 open back?

Ok....Yes the dovetail is for strenght and sound. You need a water based floor adhesive.tolex..depending what you buy you are looking at $35 and up to cover a 4x12. You need speaker grill cloth $35+ then the handles metal or plastic I prefer metal $18. Metal input jack plate $8 and then all the screws and washers $25+ Amp corners $25+

Now let move onto Volume? That is dependent on your speakers and what they are rated for and there specs. This is more important for closed back. Open back is different. I personal do not like open backs but certain speakers are better for open back.

Oh don't for get to seal the seams....

So as you can see it is a lot more complex then just slapping some wood together w/ speakers...could you do that sure...but more than likely will sound like crap...I would get some 3/4" 18ply voidless Birch plywood. (HomeDepot does not care this you have to order it)

Now wiring you can wire it straight....setup each speaker mono or stereo or both mono and 8 or 16 Ohms

I built a 2x12 that copied a Marshall 1936 closed back and love it. 2-greenbacks wired @ 16Ohms. Good response and tight bass!

theDogger
Last edited by theDogger at Jul 1, 2010,
well thats if your using overpriced components from those stores.

im not trying to make a cab that is for retail, im trying to make a no frills box that sounds good.

not oneof those parts should cost more than 10 dollars max, except the glue, ehich i probably already have. and the screws which i have. and teh corners, which i most likely have.

the only thing i know i dont have are wiring components (cheapest parts of all) and the cloths (should be no more than a few bucks....if your paying 35 dollars for about 2-3 feet of cloth you are being robbed unless its made of silk) and the vynyl....which shouldnt be too much.

i would imagine total cost should be no more than 50 bucks for baseline. depends how much i want to spice it up. i probably have enough wood and tools in my garage to make 3-4 speaker cabs right now.

why use plywood when i have hardwood baords? for free?

and dovetail or not, if its 90 degrees its 90 degrees. if its sealed its sealed. if i can make sturdy box my way and seal it properly it shouldnt matter.

you think sound waves are like "oh crap, its 90 degrees but its not constructed with dovetails....F this!"

a sturdy box is a sturdy box sir. its all fit and finish. and i really dont care as long as it looks mildly appealing. plus, if you add metal corners, that bosters the strength more.

i only care about internal demesions, and wiring ohms at this point.
Ok well, if you want a flubby sounding cab that will rattle as soon as you turn it up, it's your choice
who said it will raddle. again. a sturdy box is a sturdy box. there are about a hundred ways to make a box - strongly. ask a carpenter.

i have no doubts i can make a box that would survive a 1 story fall if i wanted too
Quote by ikey_
who said it will raddle. again. a sturdy box is a sturdy box. there are about a hundred ways to make a box - strongly. ask a carpenter.

i have no doubts i can make a box that would survive a 1 story fall if i wanted too

That's what you don't understand, a good cab is much more than a sturdy box.
if you have the hardwood do it.
are you building a 412 or a 212?
keep in mind that hardwood cabs sound very different then voidfree birch cabs.
the 212 is a lot easier to build then a 412. just make sure the dimensions are right. you can usually go too big but don't go to small that'll eff everything up.
one of my favorite 212s is the orange ppc212 or the zbest. copy those dimensions.

if it's a cab for home use you don't have to worry about the grill or the tolex at first.

the hardest part is cutting the baffle but if you have a rotary saw it's not that big of a deal just use a 12 inch speaker template.

if you use side handles make sure they are metal and anchor them well. corner protectors same deal.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
i can cut a perfect hole. i have rotary saws, roto-zips, scroll saws etc.

its a 2x12, and it would be for whatever i wanted, home or out.

just like a guitar, wouldnt hardwood sound better?

and i read demesions for open back dont really matter that much because there is no sound pressure issue. i read that at least 1 inch around the speakers is good...so like 28 inches wide, about 14-16 inches deep, about 14inches tall.

wood thickness will be between 3/4 and 1 inch thick.
Well they just different not necessarilly better or worse. As long as u have all the tools go for it. Dovetail though it's worth it in the long run. Size still matters for ob don't go to small.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer