With stomp boxes being so pricey, I'm thinking about getting a new multi fx pedal. I already have a Zoom G2, which is fun. But are there others which can rival individual pedals, especially Boss ones?

I'm looking at the Boss ME-50 and the Digitech RP-350. Do these come anywhere near the tone of, say, a Boss Chorus, Reverb pedal, etc?

Thanks.
Boss Chorus and reverb aren't really great (except the CE-1 and 2) so I think they can come near them, but they're not really good. If you want multiFX look at the Line6 M9 and M13, floor PODs and TC Electronics Nova Systems.
Last edited by WtrPlyr at Jul 2, 2010,
I agree with WtrPlyr. The line 6 multi fx and POD's aren't too bad. I had the Boss ME-20 and hated it. I ended up selling it for gas money.
Thanks, do any of these models overcome sounding "digital." In all the multi fx things I've looked at so far, they sound processed, soulless, lacking in all character. The noise reduction is especially disgusting.

Quote by King_Of_Swing
I agree with WtrPlyr. The line 6 multi fx and POD's aren't too bad. I had the Boss ME-20 and hated it. I ended up selling it for gas money.
It all depends on the application. If you are just a bedroom player, it may be fun to have all those effects at your fingertips with a multi fx unit.

However, if you are in a band it is more of a toss-up. I'm actually in two bands, one is an original group, one is a cover band. Personally I use my custom built board for both, but I wish I had a mfx unit for my cover band.

I have also used several mfx units (boss, digi, tc, pod) and the ones I liked the most were the new digitech and the TC units.
How good you sound has a lot to do with your ability to program the unit and tweak the sounds. Individual pedals are easier because the controls are right in front of you. When tweaking a multifx you are sometimes confronted with a bunch of parameters and sorting out the important from the less important is a challange. Also having to sort through menus makes it more of a chore in multifx.

But all that aside you can get great tones, if the tweaking doesn't detract to much from your practice.
zoom pedals have done no wrong by me. ive had a g1 for a few years now and i love today as much as i did when i pulled it outta the box
Quote by neopowell
That would be amazing. "I WILL BURN EVERYTHING!" *Garrigan appears with bucket* "Fuck this for a giggle, I'm outta here..."

Blog?
follow me
The only Multi FX i would recommend is the Line 6 M13 (Or M9, which is basically most of the features in a smaller, cheaper package.) I've messed around with one of my buddy's POD XT Live, and I like the wide variety of modulations, but i was totally unimpressed by the overdrive and amp modeling sections. (I haven't played Boss's series much, but I would be totally unsuprised if they were similar.) It took me about 25 minutes to set up a tone I really liked, whereas it takes me 30 seconds with my individual pedals and amp to get from chugging metal to explosions in the sky cleans drenched in reverb and delay.

Additionally, I love the tweakability of having all 20 something knobs on my pedalboard where I can adjust on the fly without clicking through menus, so for me, the answer is individual pedals, which when bought used generally hold their value for years.

A possible middle ground with alot of tonal options would be to have an overdrive >M9 or M13 for delay and modulation>amp.
Quote by mattocaster99
i was totally unimpressed by the overdrive and amp modeling sections.

MultiFX still don't do overdrives very well.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
MultiFX still don't do overdrives very well.

That's why I hung onto my GP-8; truly analog overdrive - the distortion is DS-1 but it's real DS-1 (I don't use it but I do use the OD-1 in it at times).
MultiFX are good with set lists. You program each song, write the patch numbers next to the songs in the set list and you know all is right at every gig.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
That's why I hung onto my GP-8; truly analog overdrive - the distortion is DS-1 but it's real DS-1 (I don't use it but I do use the OD-1 in it at times).

I'm really not a fan of the DS1... granted I can understand the appeal of an analog OD in a multiFX

Quote by Cathbard
MultiFX are good with set lists. You program each song, write the patch numbers next to the songs in the set list and you know all is right at every gig.

Troo dat... unless you want to practice your tap dancing skills.

Personally, if you want to get a multiFX... you have to go for the best... TC Electronics G Major.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty

Personally, if you want to get a multiFX... you have to go for the best... TC Electronics G Major.

It's not just that. How many times do you hit say, the flanger, only to discover you forgot to change it off the Hawkwind setting? I'm usually too out of it at gigs to rely on my memory. I once worked with a singer who refused to go on unless I was at least a little stoned.

I like the whole G-System thing. If I could afford one it'd be sitting in my rack now.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by ragingkitty
I'm really not a fan of the DS1... granted I can understand the appeal of an analog OD in a multiFX

Or rather most of the high end rack mounted multi fx processors

There are lexicon units. The Avid design eleven rackmount, rocktron units like the Xpression and prophesy and the TC electronics system to name a few which are all very very good. Not one single one of them is the best. Just down to preference.

Of course if you buy a rackmount unit like mentioned you have the advantage that if your amp is a midi operated amp you can literally switch presets on your amp and effects processor....... No tap dancing, just one button press.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
I have a boss ME-25 but I disagree with the sounds I get with it through my amps. I will keep it around though just in case my next big amp investment proves that wrong.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by Talentless
Of course if you buy a rackmount unit like mentioned you have the advantage that if your amp is a midi operated amp you can literally switch presets on your amp and effects processor....... No tap dancing, just one button press.

OR you get one with relay outputs (my GP-8 has two) and you program those into the patches to switch the amp using ye olde footswitch socket. You can still have a pure valve amp (ie NO op-amps even) and MIDI switch the sucker.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you just want effects, get a Line 6 M9/M13 or a TC Electronics G-Major and a MIDI Controller.

If you want amp modeling too, get a Line 6 POD X3.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Aliasaria
I have the Boss Me-70 and it's done no wrong by me

You will hear it... won't be long now... *cries* I miss liking my ME!

Don't get me wrong, multi-effects can be great, especially some of the more expensive ones. Some of them are sucky though. Literally.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by Cathbard
I like the whole G-System thing. If I could afford one it'd be sitting in my rack now.

I'd love a G-System too, rather than my G-Major. The G-Major is great but I'd rather have a stompbox-style layout rather than strictly presets (which you can do with the G-Major but its a pain to set up and my MIDI controller is too small for that to work effectively)

Slightly off topic, but heres a great vid from TC, literally road-testing the G-System
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKZLNKqvFAI
Quote by Cathbard
OR you get one with relay outputs (my GP-8 has two) and you program those into the patches to switch the amp using ye olde footswitch socket. You can still have a pure valve amp (ie NO op-amps even) and MIDI switch the sucker.

Yup!

I really could not see myself using anything other than midi these days. Its just so simple and I am simply so lazy

I am even considering getting a rocktron hex and assigning it to my gate at the front of my amp so i can get feedback when I want it by rocking back on the pedal......
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
I guess they are alright but ive only tried the Boss Me-70 and every distortion was a fizzy mess. I sat for hours trying to find good settings and finally just sent it back. Go for like a
POD XT Live, or RP 500.
I have a T.C. electronic g major and you can not go wrong with one for effects.

I also have a rp350 (digitech) that i no longer use, yes the amp modelling and overdrive isn't the greatest thing ever, but for the price (ebay for $100) it will give you a lot of versatility and options if you don't yet know what you want. If you play around with it you will figure out what types of sounds amps and effects you like so when you do buy the real thing, you know your buying exactly what you want.
http://www.youtube.com/user/heavymetal1110
My youtube channel

Epiphone Korina explorer, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez GSA60, Ibanez AEG25
The amp: Bugera 1990
Pedals: Ibanez Tubescreamer,wylde od, wylde wah, Tc electronic g major,
Last edited by camaross427 at Jul 2, 2010,
Quote by Cathbard

Damn, you just reminded me how much i regretted selling my GP-8. that and my old 5150 was an awesome setup.