So I've read many threads that discuss F-spaced pickups, but never got a clear answer for my question.

A guy wants to trade me a Dimarzio Super Distortion pickup (F-spaced). I have a Schecter Omen Extreme, Fixed bridge (Assuming that pole/string positions are standard).

I read some rumours that I can use an F-spaced pickup in the bridge position (no negative effects) of a standard spaced guitar.

Is this true?
Quote by denied
^ What convincing? The pickup will obviously fit just fine, it's a question of how well it will be lined up...

As far as I know, the neck pickup is the one that matters less. But I would fit the pickup accurately to your string placement.

You'd be surprised how much 2-3mm can screw up your guitar. I got a new pickguard, and it's about 2mm off with the center single coil, so I have to carve out 2mm out of my guitar so the whole pickguard will drop in.
F spacing has nothing to do with the size of a pickup...you can put a F-spaced pickup in a standard pickup route...the only problem will be that the poles on the pickup won't line up with your strings. My hardtail Ibanez had an F-spaced pickup in the bridge when I bought it, strings didn't line up over a pole on the pickup...it worked...but it's not ideal. You want the strings to be over the poles.

Denied has it right. The neck pickup isn't as important...some standard spaced pickups will line up just fine with a tremolo-equipped guitar.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Jul 1, 2010,
Quote by eyebanez333
F spacing has nothing to do with the size of a pickup...you can put a F-spaced pickup in a standard pickup route...the only problem will be that the poles on the pickup won't line up with your strings. My hardtail Ibanez had an F-spaced pickup in the bridge when I bought it, strings didn't line up over a pole on the pickup...it worked...but it's not ideal. You want the strings to be over the poles.

I'm just telling what I read on Barenuckle Pickups web site. I have an Warpig F spaced pickup on the way in the mail, so I'll find out then. Can't wait....I miss playing my electric already
Actually most modern guitars have F-Spaced bridge pickups, even Gibson. I put a regular spaced Seymour Duncan JB in my Gibson V and the pole pieces and strings didn't line up like they did on the stock pickup. In the pic below you can see that both E strings are at the outer edges of the pole pieces. Honestly it didn't really change the performance of the guitar, it just didn't look as good.