UK launches "Your Freedom" to seek public opinion on which laws should be repealed.

Page 1 of 2
http://yourfreedom.hmg.gov.uk/

We're working to create a more open and less intrusive society through our Programme for Government. We want to restore Britain’s traditions of freedom and fairness, and free our society of unnecessary laws and regulations – both for individuals and businesses.

This site gives you the chance to submit, comment on, or vote for ideas about how we can do this. Your ideas will inform government policy and some of your proposals could end up making it into bills we bring before Parliament to change the law.

So if there are any laws or regulations you'd like us to do away with, then submit your idea. If you see ideas here already that you like the look of, then rate them and get them moved up the list. And if there’s more you’d like to say, then talk to others in the comments section for each proposal.

Excellent idea, provided they act on it.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Bearded_Seth
I am a retard. Digital economy? In Layman's terms, plz.

Basically they're passing a bill which will make the internet useless.
Great idea if implemented well. Criminalised cannabis would be one of the first things to go I imagine.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
Quote by Metallica1554
Basically they're passing a bill which will make the internet useless.

Is it like monitoring our downlaods and crap? I thought this is what it meant but I wish the political people would just put a basic term on stuff. It'd make a whole lot more people pay attention.. Namely me.

Digital economy sounds more like digital money.
Quote by Bearded_Seth
Is it like monitoring our downlaods and crap? I thought this is what it meant but I wish the political people would just put a basic term on stuff. It'd make a whole lot more people pay attention.. Namely me.

it'll allow the govt to ban a household from using the internet if they downloaded a song (or maybe downloaded something illegally more than once).
It apparently will also ban sites such as youtube which hold copyrighted material (eventhough it is legal for youtube to do so). Also fines will be likely.

Sucks big time/
god I hope this comes to something. I want my legal cannabis damnit
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by Bearded_Seth

It basically will place unnecessarily high charges on the internet owners on which files have been downloaded, rather than the download-er themselves.

Basically, bye bye free wi-fi in stores.

There's' a whole load of other stuff too that pretty much gays up the interweb for all of us.
I think the public is mainly made of people who frequently exclaim "political correctness gone mad!" and think the human rights act is a bad thing, so I'm not that endeared to this idea.
I am an American. isn't the whole point of representative government to govern based on the opinions of the people? Why, then, is a system like this needed for the people to be free?

Note that I'm an American. Not that our government works like this either.
Quote by Confusius
No chance they'll ever act on this.

They'll have a list of laws they're willing to repeal, repeal those and be like "See? We do listen to you plebs".
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
I think the public is mainly made of people who frequently exclaim "political correctness gone mad!" and think the human rights act is a bad thing, so I'm not that endeared to this idea.

Representation! The HORROR!
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by Seattle_sound35
I am an American. isn't the whole point of representative government to govern based on the opinions of the people? Why, then, is a system like this needed for the people to be free?

Because the way it works is by electing people to govern you. You elect them, depending on their views, plans, ideals through a fair system. But once their in... there's no guarantee they won't do whatever they want. Which is what happens.
Quote by mcconnachiea
Set a cap or make a test to help lower insurance for new drivers!!

Make new drivers log a certain number of hours behind the wheel before they can drive. Then they'll have fewer accidents and the insurance can go down anyway.

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Seattle_sound35

Representative democracy is a joke.
Quote by Meths
They'll have a list of laws they're willing to repeal, repeal those and be like "See? We do listen to you plebs".

Hurray?
Quote by Meths
Make new drivers log a certain number of hours behind the wheel before they can drive. Then they'll have fewer accidents and the insurance can go down anyway.

Wut?
Jeez, just like pilots. They have to fly a minimum amount of hours before they get their official license. Well, the same with new drivers.

Not a difficult concept.
My state just implemented something like that, although imo they went a bit overboard. New drivers here have to drive 50 hours with their parent/guardian before testing for their license.
Quote by guitarhero_764
My state just implemented something like that, although imo they went a bit overboard. New drivers here have to drive 50 hours with their parent/guardian before testing for their license.

Considering the ages people can start driving at in America I'd hardly call that overboard. Most people in Britain take approximately 30 hours of paid instruction anyway before sitting their test.
Quote by Nosferatu Man

T-shirts are a sign of degeneration and decline.
This might turn out great... or it might go down the path of that republican site in the US, which was similar in nature (but on a smaller scale). It was overrun with teabaggers. Let's hope this one turns out better.
Quote by The_Clansman_
Wut?

Already the case in (I think) Finland. Or some other Scandinavian nation. That oddly seems to have far fewer road accidents/deaths involving new drivers...

Oscar Wilde
Quote by Meths
Already the case in (I think) Finland. Or some other Scandinavian nation. That oddly seems to have far fewer road accidents/deaths involving new drivers...

It was the way you worded it. I understand completely
i wish they would do this in the states in a few years
Quote by webbtje
A woman's perspective is great, you get to stare down at least one top without anyone caring.
Is this a good idea? I'm not sure. The general public as a whole can be remarkably stupid and it seems like a cop-out to ask for what people want instead of doing their jobs and them making the decisions.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by The_Clansman_
It was the way you worded it. I understand completely

Quote by isabiggles
Is this a good idea? I'm not sure. The general public as a whole can be remarkably stupid and it seems like a cop-out to ask for what people want instead of doing their jobs and them making the decisions.

...What? You think the people should have less power? Why don't we just do away with democracy completely and not let any of the public have their say in anything?

Oscar Wilde
Page 1 of 2