It has a locking nut in conjuction with the bridge.
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
You have absolutely no need for locking tuners because there are two lock points: the bridge and the nut. The tuners are just a complete afterthought.

In fact, if you buy a standalone Floyd Rose system to install, they give you the locking nut too.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Quote by shelbykosmalski
So does the Floyd Rose itself keep the strings in tune, or no?

It comes with normal tuners and a locking nut. Once you tune the guitar, you lock the nut so the strings don't get caught in the nut when you use the trem. But when you lock the nut, it makes the strings go a little sharp, so there are little knobs on the bridge, called fine-tuners, that you can turn to fine-tune the strings to get them in perfect pitch.

Another thing you have to keep in mind: If the tension of the springs in the back of the guitar isn't equal to the tension of the strings, the guitar will go out of tune. So if you change tunings or string gauges, you will have to adjust the spring tension to compensate for the loss or gain of string tension.

All of that work is justified by the fact that when the bridge is set up correctly, the guitar will never go out of tune. Ever.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Locking tuners come with most guitars with floyds.
IMO i don't need locking tuners, i only care about the floyd itself, and the locking nut
Quote by biga29
It comes with normal tuners and a locking nut. Once you tune the guitar, you lock the nut so the strings don't get caught in the nut when you use the trem. But when you lock the nut, it makes the strings go a little sharp, so there are little knobs on the bridge, called fine-tuners, that you can turn to fine-tune the strings to get them in perfect pitch.

Another thing you have to keep in mind: If the tension of the springs in the back of the guitar isn't equal to the tension of the strings, the guitar will go out of tune. So if you change tunings or string gauges, you will have to adjust the spring tension to compensate for the loss or gain of string tension.

All of that work is justified by the fact that when the bridge is set up correctly, the guitar will never go out of tune. Ever.

Thanks SO much
Locking tuners come with most guitars with floyds.
IMO i don't need locking tuners, i only care about the floyd itself, and the locking nut

Actually, I can't think of any guitars with a locking nut that come stock with locking tuners. Once the bridge is locked down, the tuners aren't even doing anything...

See...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Oohhh, wait. I still can't grasp this...
Does the locking nut keep the strings in perfect tune? If so, isn't it the same as locking tuners?
Oohhh, wait. I still can't grasp this...
Does the locking nut keep the strings in perfect tune? If so, isn't it the same as locking tuners?

In a sense. The nut is gonna be one of the main spots for tuning problems on any guitar with any kind of bridge, hardtail or floating. The locking nut eliminates all tuning problems you'd have with the nut. Even with locking tuners, the strings still have to slide through the nut, so it can still cause tuning problems, though if you keep your nut lubed, it shouldn't have any problems.

The only guitar I can think of that comes stock with a floating trem and no locking nut is John Petruccis sig, but it comes with locking tuners.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Last edited by biga29 at Jul 1, 2010,
Quote by travislausch
You have absolutely no need for locking tuners because there are two lock points: the bridge and the nut. The tuners are just a complete afterthought.

In fact, if you buy a standalone Floyd Rose system to install, they give you the locking nut too.

Maybe not a need, but they’re still convenient during string changes (yes, I *am* that lazy).
Quote by biga29

In a sense. The nut is gonna be one of the main spots for tuning problems on any guitar with any kind of bridge, hardtail or floating. The locking nut eliminates all tuning problems you'd have with the nut. Even with locking tuners, the strings still have to slide through the nut, so it can still cause tuning problems, though if you keep your nut lubed, it shouldn't have any problems.

The only guitar I can think of that comes stock with a floating trem and no locking nut is John Petruccis sig, but it comes with locking tuners.

Alright so..you need to dumb it down for me, lol. My friend has a guitar with a FR and he has something near the nut that takes an Allen wrench and keeps the guitar in tune after crazy whammy, dive bombs, etc. and it keeps the guitar in tune, just in general. Is this a locking nut, or locking tuners? Is this the thing that includes the fine tuning you talking about? My main thing is to find out the thing that keeps the guitar in perfect tune very long.
Quote by shelbykosmalski
Alright so..you need to dumb it down for me, lol. My friend has a guitar with a FR and he has something near the nut that takes an Allen wrench and keeps the guitar in tune after crazy whammy, dive bombs, etc. and it keeps the guitar in tune, just in general. Is this a locking nut, or locking tuners? Is this the thing that includes the fine tuning you talking about? My main thing is to find out the thing that keeps the guitar in perfect tune very long.

Those are the locking nuts, You get the locking nuts with a fr not locking tuners.
Yeah, the allen screws are the screws that tighten the nut onto the strings, so it doesnt go out of tune.
Quote by biga29

my freind's gibby with a kahler has ordinary nut, but locking tuners, needless to say, it doesn't keep tuning very well
Eh.
You guys have to keep in mind there are some guitars with a Floyd Rose that don't come with a locking nut, but have locking tuners.

I think the Gibson Shred guitars are like that. Maybe the old Axcess is, too. I just saw a new one with a locking nut...

There are a few others, but most guitars have a locking nut with the Floyd Rose.
Quote by Himelnator
my freind's gibby with a kahler has ordinary nut, but locking tuners, needless to say, it doesn't keep tuning very well

Tell him to keep the nut lubed and it will work just fine.

You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦