I'm about to buy my first head/cab, and I'm curious about what is the best speaker cable for connecting them. If it matters, I'm getting the Egnater Tweaker and matching cab. I play classic rock, hard rock, and blues, but no metal.

Thanks in advance!
wow, that's the first speaker cable thread I've seen where people list the music they play. are you from the gear page?

what's your budget and what country are you in?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
wow, that's the first speaker cable thread I've seen where people list the music they play. are you from the gear page?

No, I just don't know anything about speaker cables and don't know if my genres matter. Well, that, and every time I post here, everyone asks what sort of music I play, so I thought I'd just volunteer it.

what's your budget and what country are you in?

USA. Budget is flexible, but I don't want to spend a lot if something cheap will do. I don't need any great length, so let's say under $50 (about 40 euros).
Last edited by coquet at Jul 1, 2010,
no worries, it's better to give the info and not need it than the opposite. i just thought it was funny.

I'm not too well up on what's available in the US, unfortunately, I know what the good value stuff is in the UK. Hopefully someone else can chime in to help.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by coquet
No, I just don't know anything about speaker cables and don't know if my genres matter. Well, that, and every time I post here, everyone asks what sort of music I play, so I thought I'd just volunteer it.
true true true
USA. Budget is flexible, but I don't want to spend a lot if something cheap will do. I don't need any great length, so let's say under $50 (about 40 euros).
To be honest, there are few 'bad' speaker cables. Although, often times, the thicker the diameter, the better it will be at resisting the extreme current that is transfered from amplifier to speaker. That is why using guitar cables is very dangerous - because they are too thin.

Monster Cable, Klotz, Sommer, Fulltone, Voxrox (I personally have a speaker cable of theirs, but it was quite expensive) make great cables, even Planet Waves and Cordial do a good job.

Try and pick one with a thicker diameter (above 2,0mm) and with Neutrik heads. After that it's up to you.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
true true true
To be honest, there are few 'bad' speaker cables. Although, often times, the thicker the diameter, the better it will be at resisting the extreme current that is transfered from amplifier to speaker. That is why using guitar cables is very dangerous - because they are too thin.

Monster Cable, Klotz, Sommer, Fulltone, Voxrox (I personally have a speaker cable of theirs, but it was quite expensive) make great cables, even Planet Waves and Cordial do a good job.

Try and pick one with a thicker diameter (above 2,0mm) and with Neutrik heads. After that it's up to you.

good advise!!! lot of people dont believe that! good 12 gage cable is sweet
tone slut

Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier
jet City 2112 Combo
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Classic Vibe Telecaster
A 3', 16ga speaker cable is $10 at GC. $15 for 14ga, but at that wattage and the short length is really doesn't matter.

I just bought one yesterday. I got lucky because I bought a bunch of cables and had a bargain bin one that wasn't ringing up right. When the guy scanned a code to fix the price he says... "you got lucky the code cut all your prices in half". So my speaker cable was $5.
i got a custom made one, with 6mm copper wires, so total of 12mm of copper . was 50 quid new i got it for 10 quid second hand .

but anyway my point is, that you should make your own if your handy with a soldering iron, just buy some good quality cable and some connectors also if u buy more than you need you can sell some to your mates, and make back what you spent, thus getting a free high quality speaker cable.

HTH james
Some guy told he saw cable for like 5000$ a meter. i dont know if its a speaker or if whether it's true. If so, then that's the best cable.
Quote by wozzsta
i got a custom made one, with 6mm copper wires, so total of 12mm of copper . was 50 quid new i got it for 10 quid second hand .

but anyway my point is, that you should make your own if your handy with a soldering iron, just buy some good quality cable and some connectors also if u buy more than you need you can sell some to your mates, and make back what you spent, thus getting a free high quality speaker cable.

HTH james
Where can I get a cable custom made in the UK?
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Where can I get a cable custom made in the UK?

pop this guy a message

http://www.bidefordbayguitars.com/Contact_Us.html

the Uk Krank dealer makes them for him cuz he hires out Kranks for various bands around the UK, he hired out some stuff to trivium some time. they are awesome cables.

also he is the ex guitarist from cradle of filth, he is a friendly helpful dude
Last edited by wozzsta at Jul 5, 2010,
Quote by wozzsta
pop this guy a message

http://www.bidefordbayguitars.com/Contact_Us.html

the Uk Krank dealer makes them for him cuz he hires out Kranks for various bands around the UK, he hired out some stuff to trivium some time. they are awesome cables.

also he is the ex guitarist from cradle of filth, he is a friendly helpful dude
Thanks, man!
award session and kabl also make custom cables, goldfish. probably a bunch of others, too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I always make my own. Use a power extension cable. It's the cheapest good quality twisted pair cable (just cut off the third wire) available to the average punter. It can handle 10 amp which is more than you'll ever need and it comes in many varieties. Get a nice solid one and it will last you for decades. Just solder some plugs on the end and it will be just as good or better, in practical terms, as any pre-made thing you are likely to waste money on.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It's out of control. The crap they talk in their marketing campaigns too; like the famous Monster Cable claim of reduced skin effect. Skin effect? At audio frequencies - at speaker currents? Yeah right. And what colour are the unicorns?

There's a sucker born every minute.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah, my favorites are "CD demagnetizers", which improve "pit geometry" and smooth out "lead hash transients".
I bought some cheap ass speaker cable, 3 foot, about 1.5 cm thick, and as long as you keep grabbing it by the metal base and never yank on the cable itself then it will last you a very long time, I was told that this cable would only last me 6 months, going on a year and no problems.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I bought some cheap ass speaker cable, 3 foot, about 1.5 cm thick.
A 1.5 cm cable should handle about 10K watts!
Expensive cables are a scam, I've made most of my cables out of no-name 1/8th inch (yes 1/8TH INCH) shielded cable from my local military/bomb/crap surplus store and used connectors from Radio Shack.

Sounds pretty good if you ask me, After all it's just a cable.

For things like MIDI and etc, LiveWire/Hosa are great~

And trust me, I've spent a crap-ton of money on Monster and Mogami, It just isn't worth it.
Quote by bemiswins
if someone flames you on the internet for music you like, they fail.

Here's my YouTube if anyone wants to see some of my videos.
Quote by Benguitar2
Expensive cables are a scam, I've made most of my cables out of no-name 1/8th inch (yes 1/8TH INCH) shielded cable from my local military/bomb/crap surplus store and used connectors from Radio Shack.

Sounds pretty good if you ask me, After all it's just a cable.

For things like MIDI and etc, LiveWire/Hosa are great~

And trust me, I've spent a crap-ton of money on Monster and Mogami, It just isn't worth it.

Depends on your point of view I guess - and you're perfectly entitled to it of course.

However, have you ever done a side by side test of a good cable and your "no-name" effort? You almost certainly will notice a difference.

Good cables don't have to cost the earth either....spam alert!.... check out my site and you'll see that I have cables with the same (if not better) spec than Mogami for half the price.

http://www.wix.com/kablkabl/kabl
I know a guy, we will call him derp. He has a Digitech RP-250, running into a Behringer Vampire modeling amp.

But he used teh Monster cables!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."