Hey,

I found a Epiphone Les Paul Custom for $150. I thought it was a pretty good deal, but i didnt know. The neck has been cracked in the past, and he swaid he took it to a guitar shop and the fixed it around 1998. The crack doesn't look to bad, and he has replaced the tuners with i think grovers and the pickups also.

I was wondering if you guys think it is a pretty good deal, and also what to watch out for with cracked necks. He said it plays good, and I will play it when i get there. Thanks for any help.

Here is a picture of the crack...
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
I mean, that's an amazing price for an Epi LP custom... How deep does the crack go? If it's mainly a surface thing, you should be fine. You could always try duct tape??
That looks a little more serious than a surface crack and I like the suggestion of duct tape... That's a good one. lol

Those guitars are well known for that problem. If it was properly fixed, it shouldn't be a problem. It's a little hard to tell from the photo, though. Offer him $100. If he won't take it, meet him in the middle at $125.
If it's repaired well, it will be stronger than it was before and won't sound any different (so no, there's no danger of it being on a wall hanger, it's not like the weight of the guitar is going to tear it apart).
If it stays in tune well, it should be fine. If it's been played since '98, any problems arising from a bad repair job would have arisen a long time ago.

For 150, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Headstock repairs on a LP are a poor musician's best friend.
Quote by KG6_Steven
meet him in the middle at $125.

wouldn't 75 be the middle?
just saying
VHT Special 6 ultra
TC HOF Reverb
Line 6 DL4
EHX OD Glove
Fender standard Tele
Ibanez Rga121
Taylor GA 214E
Thanks for the help. If anybody misunderstood me, the guitar has been repaired, and he said a guitar shop fixed it, but im not sure what guitar shop did it. The crack only gois to the fretboard too.

The main thing i was worried about was it going out of tune. Since the neck is cracked, I was worried about the truss rod and neck tension. If repaired correctly, all that still works, right?
***Guitars***
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
$150 for a LP Custom? I just sold mine for $350, that's a hell of a deal. As long as the repair was made with a dowel or two through the neck for strength, you should be good, and you shouldn't hear any different in the tone.
the crack won't effect the sound of the guitar at all if it was repaired properly.
the only thing is that looking at the picture it seems he just had it glued and not refinished.
if it was only glued internally there's a good chance it will crack again if you live in a place with humidity fluctuations.
He probably didn't opt for the expensive repair on a cheap guitar.

My Gibson's neck was repaired with 2 volutes, glue, refinishing, wood matching all that jazz. It's better then it was before.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
well, i think that he has been playing on it after the repair for a couple of years, so i think that it will be pretty good. I also found the store that he got it done at, and it looks like a good store, they do alot of repairs it looks like. so i will have to see. AcousticMirror, if you dont mind my asking, how much did that cost you?
***Guitars***
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
If it was only glued, should i buy it? Does that hold up to things like heavy string gauges and drop tunings (mostly drop d)? and if I took it to my local guitar shop, how much would it cost to do it properly, with dowel rods or something like it? It wouldnt need to be refinished or wood matched to me. just the bare essentials.
***Guitars***
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
well if it's glued already they'd have to re-break it.
The glue should be fine it's really strong but I would be wary of stressing it too much. 12s or 13s in e standard would probably not be a good idea.
cost wise at least 200 us. It's not worth it in my opinion for an epi. That guitar should be a good beater guitar. Try to talk him down on the price. It's pretty hard to sell guitars with structural damage.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
well if it's glued already they'd have to re-break it.
The glue should be fine it's really strong but I would be wary of stressing it too much. 12s or 13s in e standard would probably not be a good idea.
cost wise at least 200 us. It's not worth it in my opinion for an epi. That guitar should be a good beater guitar. Try to talk him down on the price. It's pretty hard to sell guitars with structural damage.

The most i would put on it is 11s, but most likely stay with 9s or 10s. So i guess that would be good.
***Guitars***
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Last edited by the1967mustang at Jul 1, 2010,
Also, if anyone can help me with this, it be great. I dont know exactly how the truss rod works, but i was wondering if you glue in the crack, can glue get around the truss rod and freeze it up? Or does it have a case or something? I have never messed with it so I have no idea.
***Guitars***
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***