Hi,

So awhile back I posted a thread asking about some good od/ds pedals for my classic 30. The classic 30 already has a nice natural overdrive, so I am not really interested in boosting my clean channel. I would like to push the gain on my lead for a more hard-rock sound (more "saturated" I think might describe it). The main pedals I was reccomended/am considering were the Fullton fulldrive and OCD.

However, after visiting a music store to try out the OCD, I had a short conversation with one of the employees that has brought up more questions. Basically, when I was trying our the pedal, I had a Fender Deville already turned to pretty high gain, and was experimenting with the OCD out front to dail in more. He told me that with the amp already "gained out" like that, adding more gain would only muddy the signal and put gain ontop of gain (in a negative way). I understand what he was saying, but I know people boost their amps gain with decent results.

In another conversation, I was trying out a boost/ds pedal called the ZVEX Box of Rock and a different guy made it sound like the boost was really only intended to push the tone to sound like the amp at a cranked volume (which is nice because I live in an apt durring durring school) but not that I could really go beyond what the amp can already do cranked with good result.

So if you have read this far, or just skipped to the bottom: I basically am wondering if there is a best way to boost my gain channel. Should I dial in less gain on the amp and more with the pedal? The other way around? Whatever sounds best? Would I be better off finding a nice distortion pedal and just running it on my clean channel?

And any pedal suggestions are also very welcome.

Thanks!
Gear:
Parker P44PRO
Peavey Classic 30
Boss PH2
Boss OD-20
Boss RC-20
MXR ZW44
When I was using an MXR Wylde Overdrive to boost my Peavey ValveKing, I found the best results by putting the gain on both the amp and the pedal to about 12 o'clock. What really made the boost for me was cranking the pedal's level control high. Also, I found it worked better when I had the amp's volume higher, but the noise and feedback was quite unbearable without a noise supressor.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
I've found it helpful to get an OD (not a distortion pedal) and run the "level" up with the "gain" down. That way, it boosts into the overdriven signal and doesn't mud up. From there you can experiment with the gain dials (amp and pedal) to get what you want. Some pedals offer a lot of harmonic content that some amps may not normally have, so you can change things up to a point.
I would get a Tube Screamer or a Boss Blues Driver. To boost your signal use the less gain possible in your amp and turn up the gain or level in you pedal.
Even God has a Hell, his love for Humanity.
by Friedrich Nietzsche

Call me Edge
If I undertsand correctly, you are trying to boost your drive channel.

The most common way to do this is by running an OD pedal with the volume maxed out and the gain/drive at 0. I wouldn't try adding any more distortion from a pedal.

The most popular pedals for doing this are an Ibanez TS9 or TS808. I've recently heard TS7 is ok on a budget, but never tried it. My favorite budget boost is a digitech bad monkey.

I had the OCD for a while, didn't really fancy it as a boost
Quote by denied
If I undertsand correctly, you are trying to boost your drive channel.

The most common way to do this is by running an OD pedal with the volume maxed out and the gain/drive at 0. I wouldn't try adding any more distortion from a pedal.

The most popular pedals for doing this are an Ibanez TS9 or TS808. I've recently heard TS7 is ok on a budget, but never tried it. My favorite budget boost is a digitech bad monkey.

I had the OCD for a while, didn't really fancy it as a boost

+1, the ocd is much better than a standalone OD than a boost. It will work but a TS9 or Bad monkey will work better.

Why the hell did the salesman plug into a fender deville to show you boosting an amps overdrive. Wasn't there anything with a better overdrive channel. If you boost a clean channel it just pushes the volume up making it louder and break up. If you push the drive channel it pushes the preamp tubes harder and gives you a bit more gain and mids with less bass tightenng things up.

Keep in mind that you may want to lower the amps gain knob when boosting.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Thanks for the replies everyone. With my OD-20 I have been using it in the past on the TS setting with the volume knob as a "drive" and it doesnt sound bad at all. How much better might a real OD pedal sound? Considering I would probably being using the pedal almost always on the gain channel of my amp, would a botique pedal be worth buying over something a little cheaper?
Gear:
Parker P44PRO
Peavey Classic 30
Boss PH2
Boss OD-20
Boss RC-20
MXR ZW44