Hi!
Recently I decided to finally eliminate all those bad habits that I've picked up over the years and maybe finally reach some respectable speed levels and by doing that be able to create even more interesting and dynamic songs/improvs. I can find the cure for most of these habits by searching Youtube (thanks Freepower for some escellent videos ), but I couldn't find any solution to this one.

So basically, how do sit when you practice playing guitar (yeah, I know I should be practicing standing up as well, but sometimes it's just nice to sit)? I used to just sit on a chair with the guitar on my right leg and my right foot on top of my small starter-package-amp (which I don't use anymore) to raise the guitar a little. I also was bent over the guitar to kinda see what my fingers were doing, but even after correcting that I noticed that my lower back started to hurt after a while (right side).
I then tried changing to the way Freepower suggested, the classical position, but I didn't like that at all, so instead I put my right leg over my left (again, to raise the guitar a little) and while sitting in this very manly position, putting the guitar on my right leg. This is how I play atm, and this seems ok (although sometimes it can get quite uncomfortable, being a man and all..), but I read somewhere that you should have both your feet firmly on the ground, but then it feels like the neck of my guitar gets too low to get those stretches and tricky chords..
So how do you suggest that I do this?

Also, before I used to hold the pick so that I mostly held it between the pads of my thumb and first finger, but I also used the side of my middle finger (not the pad) to kinda support the pick and keep it steadier. This also allowed me to do pinch harmonics with my middle finger. Anyways, I understand that this is wrong, so I changed it to only hold it with the pad of my thumb and the side of my index finger, but it seems that when doing something fast and complicated the pick starts to kinda wiggle around, decreasing accuracy and speed. Also, some guy on Youtube said that you should keep the rest of your finger curled (which I do), but also supporting the index finger (not touching the pick though), but this just seems weird to me.
So advice? Oh, I can tremolo pick (one note only) at about the same speed doing the 3-finger technique I've used before and holding it with only 2 fingers, but the technique I used before seem to give more accuracy, but it might just be a question of practice..

Thankful for answers as I don't wanna learn even more bad habits!
//Muffinz
You'll Never Walk Alone!
Quote by godetroit91
What do you mean by sit? On the ground? Because its best not to sit while you play.

Nah, just on a normal chair And after a while my back/neck/legs start to hurt so I'd rather sit down while practicing.
You'll Never Walk Alone!
So basically, how do sit when you practice playing guitar (yeah, I know I should be practicing standing up as well, but sometimes it's just nice to sit)? I used to just sit on a chair with the guitar on my right leg and my right foot on top of my small starter-package-amp (which I don't use anymore) to raise the guitar a little. I also was bent over the guitar to kinda see what my fingers were doing, but even after correcting that I noticed that my lower back started to hurt after a while (right side).
I then tried changing to the way Freepower suggested, the classical position, but I didn't like that at all, so instead I put my right leg over my left (again, to raise the guitar a little) and while sitting in this very manly position, putting the guitar on my right leg. This is how I play atm, and this seems ok (although sometimes it can get quite uncomfortable, being a man and all..), but I read somewhere that you should have both your feet firmly on the ground, but then it feels like the neck of my guitar gets too low to get those stretches and tricky chords..
So how do you suggest that I do this?

The classical position is a good one, but if you aren't comfy with it those two other positions you mentioned are just fine - right foot on practice amp or legs crossed and on the right leg is totally a-ok.

So advice? Oh, I can tremolo pick (one note only) at about the same speed doing the 3-finger technique I've used before and holding it with only 2 fingers, but the technique I used before seem to give more accuracy, but it might just be a question of practice..

Prolly just practice - some picks are generally a little slippery and you can scratch them up or add some of that skateboard tape to em for extra grip.
Buy or try a V guitar.
I love it.

Also, there's no real wrong way to hold a pick.
James Hetfield holds his pick with three fingers lol.
I hold mine with my thumb, and my index, although, with the side of my index.
supplies me with a firm grip once you get used to it, easy to control the amount you want. and it's very easy to angle it this way.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Last edited by Nameless742 at Jul 1, 2010,
Thanks for the replies!
Seems like I will go for sitting with one leg over the other and holding the pick with two fingers. Oh, and I tried making scratches on my pick with a letter opener and it helped quite a lot!
You'll Never Walk Alone!
It might also help to tighten the strap a bit, and keep your thumb behind the neck if you don't already.
Quote by Tsucchi
Because nothing is sexier than a man with a mouth full of crayons.

Cool.
Scratches on the pick? Sound interesting, because I find it moves around a lot. Any particular angle to make the scratches?