Basically, there is a control where you can but Kerry King's EQ or "The Beast" and it includes a noise gate which i find incredible. "The Beast" is basically high gain distortion in Kerry's Specs
Quote by SilverRock113
Basically, there is a control where you can but Kerry King's EQ or "The Beast" and it includes a noise gate which i find incredible. "The Beast" is basically high gain distortion in Kerry's Specs

I edited the post so wchich one would give me more versatility.
The TSL would be more versatile man.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Quote by JoePerry4life
The TSL would be more versatile man.

Yeah, but a TSL sounds like garbage. Heck, even the DSL sounds much better.

The Chinese have many hells, one of the worst of which being "The hell of fizzy gain".
1979 Gibson Les Paul Silverburst
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
I'd get the KK JCM. Very awesome sounding amp. Great noise gate and eq.

Can do normal gain...like the JCM800....or push the Beast button and you are now into high gain territory.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by forsaknazrael
It pretty much is a JCM800, other than the boost control.

It's better than the other JCM800 reissues, and I'd rather have it than a 2205 or 2210.
+1

I also think it's better than some of the reissues (strangely enough each one I've played, even though they were built the same, all had different characteristics) of the JCM800. It's pretty rippin' ... but try it out first, obviously.
the jcm 2000 absolutely sucks compared to the 800 imo. Definitely go with the KK 800
Quote by Way Cool JR.
If you read up on them they are built off of the JCM800 and nails all of there tones and then sum. They are a JCM800 modded to surpass what they can do if you want them to.

LINK

Also look at this one the JCM2203X LINK

You're over simplifying things. It is different than the 800 circuit in A LOT of ways. Ad it doesn't NAIL an 800. It gets reasonably close. "surpassing" it is debatable.

why did you link an 800 reissue? I know what they look like, and I am intimate with their circuit design.
Quote by Way Cool JR.
I mentioned the first one because it is so close and it is the most versatile. I mentioned the second reisue because no one mentioned it earlier and it was aimed at the TS.

I know you are very smart technically with mods and circuits and I do learn a lot from all your posts so I am not challenging you in any way. not that you said I am I just thought I would mention it.

No one mentioned that reissue because it isn't that great. I'd rather look for an old 800 2203/2204.

And again, the JVM really is not like the 800, so do not advertise it as such.
It's a decent amp, rather versatile, though I cannot picture myself needing that much versatility. I'd rather have an amp that does one thing well, as like I said, while the JVM does get close to some of these tones, it still falls short.
one of the things i noticed you guys didnt mention is the tubes. the actual jcm800 has EL34s in the power section. however the 2203KK has KT88s. so yes it will sound pretty close to an actual jcm800. will it sound the same? absolutely not
Quote by valterra
You traded him a sword for the guitar? You do realize that a smart person would just agree to the trade, take the sword, slay you with it, keep all of the loot and call it a day, right?

....What are they teaching you kids in school these days?!
Quote by forsaknazrael

You're over simplifying things. It is different than the 800 circuit in A LOT of ways. Ad it doesn't NAIL an 800. It gets reasonably close. "surpassing" it is debatable.

why did you link an 800 reissue? I know what they look like, and I am intimate with their circuit design.

I can't even begin to say how hard i laughed when you said "I am intimate with their circuit design"
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Darkflame
^this
plus, the jvm are terrible amps (well that's my opinion anyways)

They aren't terrible amps.

It does Megadeth-ish rhythm tones and shred tones very well, as well as AC/DC-ish tones on the crunch channel.

You either love this amp, or you don't. I personally love its lead tones,

Anyway, for the other guy, it doesn't sound exactly like a JCM 800, simply because it is not a JCM 800.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Linky to specific ad?

I'm sure they mean it more as a successor to their flagship models.

This, I haven't seen Marshall advertising it as such anywhere.

Personally I hated the JVM. Wasn't my cup of tea at all.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

I've never tried the KK but the idea of a JCM800ish amp coming preloaded with KT88s (with presumably larger power tranny) is appealing even if you use it as a base to do some modding.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
unfortunately the JVM is probably one of the best amps that Marshall has in modern production. Which really does not say much about their current line of amps. Brand has gone way downhill since they discontinued the JCM800/900. I hear the MA absolutely sucks.
Quote by Way Cool JR.
Here is the Marshall add that claims the JVM410H does the sound of JCM800 , JCM900 , DSL , TSL , JTM45 and Plexi depending what mode you have it in unless I am totally reading it wrong but I am sure I am not. Yes I know there is no substitute for the original but I like the fact of multiple channels and not just one. The JCM800 is my dream amp beings I am an 80' Rock Metal/hair/glam/thrash fan and love that tone.

LINK

Yes, it does say that it's supposed to hit close to those tones, of course that's what it was built to do. It however, never says that it IS a JCM800 or is it based on it.
Quote by handbanana
unfortunately the JVM is probably one of the best amps that Marshall has in modern production. Which really does not say much about their current line of amps. Brand has gone way downhill since they discontinued the JCM800/900. I hear the MA absolutely sucks.
It's cheap ... I kinda expected it would when I tried it out. Still, very disappointing.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Yes, it does say that it's supposed to hit close to those tones, of course that's what it was built to do. It however, never says that it IS a JCM800 or is it based on it.

The JCM800 was one of the most modified amps of all time. The JCM900 was released as sort of a "pre-modified" version of the JCM800. Whereas, most of the modifications people were doing on their 800s were built into the JCM900.

That said, the 1990 is based off the JCM900......which in turn is nothing more then a modified JCM800.....
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Quote by theraven871
The JCM800 was one of the most modified amps of all time. The JCM900 was released as sort of a "pre-modified" version of the JCM800. Whereas, most of the modifications people were doing on their 800s were built into the JCM900.

That said, the 1990 is based off the JCM900......which in turn is nothing more then a modified JCM800.....

yeah somehow that doesn't sound right to me
Its true, the JCM900 IS based off the JCM800.

I understand they sound completely different. But the 900 was based off the 800.

That said, I played a 1990 and wasn't very impressed with it. Perhaps it captured the "Marshall Vibe" but it didn't convince me that it captured its tone.

The Bugera version does sound brighter then the JCM900.

I own a 6262 because I've owned 2 5150s in the past and I actually prefer the tone of the 6262.

But I don't think anyone can ever successfully clone a Marshall. For me, if I wanted a Marshall, I would go buy a real one. The clones just don't seem to have the magic that the originals do.
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Last edited by theraven871 at Jul 2, 2010,
No. It's based off it in the same way that lots of amps use cascaded gain stages.

If you knew anything about amps, and compared a 2203 and a 900, you'd see that they are significanty different circuits.

please do not spread your gross overgeneralization to others. It is not an accurate statement.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at Jul 2, 2010,
well from what i've seen the 1990 doesn't sound EXACTLY like the 900, but is about as close as your gonna get using 6l6's, since the 900 uses el34's...
Quote by forsaknazrael
No. It's based off it in the same way that lots of amps use cascaded gain stages.

If you knew anything about amps, and compared a 2203 and a 900, you'd see that they are significanty different circuits.

please do not spread your gross overgeneralization to others. It is not an accurate statement.

Well, then perhaps your right and I'm mistaken.

I actually owned a JCM800 in the mid 1990s. Great amp, but I always wanted to get more gain out of it.

I've honestly never played a JCM900, but I do remember reading a magazine article about it back in the day stating that it was based off a JCM800 but with more gain. Perhaps that was just the reviewers personal thoughts on the amp and not the designers intentions. If I am wrong, then I stand corrected.

Memory CAN distort over time.
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Quote by mmolteratx
Every 900 I've ever played had 6L6s.

They make them with both but the el34 equipped models are the more sought after ones if i'm not mistaken, as thats what the sought after 800 models use
Last edited by handbanana at Jul 2, 2010,
Quote by forsaknazrael
More the reviewer, I'd say. The 2205 is closer to a 900, but only cause they're both shite.

no, but they're a tiny bit closer. But the 2203/2204 are the "desired" ones.

I couldn't tell you what I had back in the day. But I do remember that it was very "warm" sounding and didn't have the brightness of any of these newer Marshall amps.

Marshall amps aren't exactly my bag anymore. But even if I was so inclined, I would never buy one of the newer Marshalls (although i have yet to try a JVM, I hear they are supposed to be nice). All their newer amps to me sound WAY to bright.

I wouldn't classify my old JCM800 as a dark amp, but it definitely seemed more "moody" then Marshalls newest iterations.
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100
Quote by theraven871
I couldn't tell you what I had back in the day. But I do remember that it was very "warm" sounding and didn't have the brightness of any of these newer Marshall amps.

Marshall amps aren't exactly my bag anymore. But even if I was so inclined, I would never buy one of the newer Marshalls (although i have yet to try a JVM, I hear they are supposed to be nice). All their newer amps to me sound WAY to bright.

I wouldn't classify my old JCM800 as a dark amp, but it definitely seemed more "moody" then Marshalls newest iterations.

Probably an older one, the earlier 2203/2204s are bright as fawk.

I have a JCM800 copy, it was also too bright for me. Modded it quite a bit to get it where I want it, but now it's a beast, with more than enough gain for me.
Personally if I had to go for that type of tone again, I would probably pickup an Orange Thunderverb. Those amps sound incredible......
James Tyler Variax JTV89
Schecter C1 Classic
Ibanez RG520QS
Greg Bennett Torino TR4

GSP1101 & Pod X3 Pro
Peavey 5150 & JSX
Bugera 6262 & 333XL
Carvin V3
Spider Valve HD100