I was thinking of getting an Esp ec-50 and putting new pickups and tuners on it and customize it in whatever way i want. Would this significantly improve the quality of a cheap guitar or is it better to just buy something more expensive and better quality?

On a side note, i've heard the ec-50 is made of basswood and i heard it's made of agathis...which one is it?
Quote by althebold711
I was thinking of getting an Esp ec-50 and putting new pickups and tuners on it and customize it in whatever way i want. Would this significantly improve the quality of a cheap guitar or is it better to just buy something more expensive and better quality?

On a side note, i've heard the ec-50 is made of basswood and i heard it's made of agathis...which one is it?

I think it is basswood. And sorry,but I don't see any reason for upgrading such a low-end ESP that much... Maybe 200 serie would be a bit more worth it... But I'd save up a little for 400 serie EC,if I really wanted a ltd eclipse. There are many other brands you might want to check out.

And yes it is much better to buy something more expensive with better quality..
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

basswood. which is the reason i'd buy something more expensive, or at least pick a cheap guitar with a higher quality tonewood. you can put whatever pickups and tuners you want on it, but it's only going to sound as good as the wood allows it, and for $250, isn't ever going to be great in my opinion. so unless you just really crave having a project guitar, i'd just get something better from the start
I have a better guitar, but it has a FR, and i wanted a guitar without one as well just for practice and for simplicity. Also, i just liked the idea of a project guitar and i heard the ec-50 was good for the price. Also id be getting a brand new one for 150.
It's basswood, but low quality basswood. For future buys, don't be put off if it says basswood instead of mahogany or alder. A high quality basswood guitar is just as good as a high quality mahogany one. See: Ibanez RG's

I've still got my Viper-50 hanging around and to be honest I wouldn't consider doing anything major to it. In the long run it's a much better investment to save for a better guitar rather than 'pimp' a cheap one. You can change tuners,pups, hardware, etc forever but the wood will always be the same.
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
Yeah, get a slightly more expensive guitar instead of upgrading a lower-end one, it's actually usually better value for money (but that can vary on brand, but that's another story). Speaking as someone who owns an upgraded Strat copy and an actual Fender one, just go for the one that starts off a good quality guitar out the factory.

Despite me replacing all the pickups and electronics in my Strat copy, it still doesn't sound as good as the Fender (close, though) and doesn't play half as nicely. You'll end up spending more than the guitar is worth in upgrades to get it up to spec (but again, that depends, but seems to be usually the case).
Last edited by pete-c at Jul 1, 2010,