Page 1 of 4
I got rid of it.

I used to like it, but im into more "overdriven" than "distorted" tones now, so im going to be getting Marshall MG and a DOD Yngwie overdrive.

Sorry for the weeks of greif I caused all of you.

Legit awful idea. An MG will not sound good, especially with that pedal (yes, I have tried it)

What's your budget, and what style do you play?
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
An MG?

Seriously?
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Guys, please. He apologized for past stupidity. Instead of flaming him, can we just help him avoid his current stupidity? Otherwise the noobs learn nothing. Remember, we were all at that place in life before. Let's not be assholes to those who are there now.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Quote by kumamilesbear
Legit awful idea. An MG will not sound good, especially with that pedal (yes, I have tried it)

What's your budget, and what style do you play?

I really don't want to spend more than 150 on the amp. I just want something cheap for now.

Me and my brother are starting a neo-classical band, so Im aiming for that kind of tone.
You should have just kept the Line 6 until you could afford something a little better than an MG.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Firstly, take that MG out of your shopping list, otherwise no one on these forums will take you seriously. Then you can seriously consider getting a Peavey Vypyr, which is actually a nice little amp for the money. Unlike the MG, which is a horrible amp for ANY amount of money.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
Quote by B.Renegades
I really don't want to spend more than 150 on the amp. I just want something cheap for now.

Me and my brother are starting a neo-classical band, so Im aiming for that kind of tone.

The MG won't get you that kinda tone. I can't suggest any amps for that sort of sound other than the Peavey Vyper 15. About 100 bucks. You don't really need that pedal though, just a decent drive channel.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Quote by B.Renegades
I like the crunch on it...

Don't you mean crushing overdrive?

Sorry, had to be done.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
Quote by Section 5
Firstly, take that MG out of your shopping list, otherwise no one on these forums will take you seriously. Then you can seriously consider getting a Peavey Vypyr, which is actually a nice little amp for the money. Unlike the MG, which is a horrible amp for ANY amount of money.

I was considering a Peavey, but I find it really hard to get a good malmsteen tone out of it.

How about a Bugera V5 and a DOD YJM308? Would that be a solid choice?
Agreed on the vypyr. Or a Vox VT15. Go to your local guitar store and try them out. I really find it hard to believe that you can get any nice tone out of an MG but not the vypyr.
Quote by B.Renegades
I was considering a Peavey, but I find it really hard to get a good malmsteen tone out of it.

How about a Bugera V5 and a DOD YJM308? Would that be a solid choice?

That pedal isn't gonna give you instant donut-boy tone, and in all seriousness, if I were to play neo-classical music, I'd prefer to have JP's tone than Malmsteen's.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Quote by B.Renegades

If you want something for overdrive for $150, I've heard this is good

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Champion-600-5W-1x6-Combo-Amp?sku=485054

And I'm pretty sure it would blow the MG out of the water.
Quote by kumamilesbear
That pedal isn't gonna give you instant donut-boy tone, and in all seriousness, if I were to play neo-classical music, I'd prefer to have JP's tone than Malmsteen's.

I just really love his tone.

Especially on the song "I am a Viking"

Know of any way to get the tone of that song specifically?
Quote by Alex Vik
If you want something for overdrive for $150, I've heard this is good

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Champion-600-5W-1x6-Combo-Amp?sku=485054

And I'm pretty sure it would blow the MG out of the water.

Admittedly, the Fender stomps all over the MG, but the bluesy overdrive of a small Fender isn't really the tone he's aiming for. I guess you could get the Fender Champion and a distortion pedal, but then that's pushing the price up further.
Quote by B.Renegades
I just really love his tone.

Especially on the song "I am a Viking"

Know of any way to get the tone of that song specifically?

Tone for that song = light overdrive on an old marshall, single coil pickups (possibly stacked coils), quad-tracked guitars.

Your budget? Get the Bugera or the Vyper, do the same basic principle. You can't really do live quad-tracking, so add a LITTLE bit of gain to the basic tone (you can do this on the amp, no pedals needed), and go from there. Also, he's using a fair amount of mids, not too much low end.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Last edited by kumamilesbear at Jul 1, 2010,
Quote by Section 5
Admittedly, the Fender stomps all over the MG, but the bluesy overdrive of a small Fender isn't really the tone he's aiming for. I guess you could get the Fender Champion and a distortion pedal, but then that's pushing the price up further.

No, its fine. I just looked up a demo. Just need to grab it and a used tubescreamer and I should be good.

Well, I think I've decided what im going to buy.

Thanks for the help guys
Quote by B.Renegades
No, its fine. I just looked up a demo. Just need to grab it and a used tubescreamer and I should be good.

Thanks for the help guys

Fair enough then. At any rate, it'll be a million times better than the MG, so good luck!
I'm glad this thread ended on a peaceful note. I suggest the mods lock it so that nobody else comes in here and flames the child.
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
Quote by B.Renegades

Thanks for the help guys

You should really look up more than one demo...And Youtube demos really aren't a great way to judge an amp, a lot of them are just done with camera mics.

Check out as many amps as you can before making a decision, don't just pick the first amp people here mention.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by AcousticMirror
this is so much fail.
the mg is crappity crap.

You should read other posts before posting
The Champion 600 won't have enough gain, even at full bore. Get something like a Blackheart and a decent boost like a Bad Monkey and you should have a decent replication of his tone.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by AcousticMirror
the champ needs a speaker upgrade as well.

Any reccomendations?

I can eventually replace the speaker, I mean, speakers don't cost too much.

I'm starting to get a bit more money comming in, I currently have a part-time job.
Weber has one that's supposed to sound good. IIRC it's also the only decent replacement that fits. You gotta get rid of the piece of crap covering the speaker too. But IMO, a Blackheart would be a better choice. The Champ literally has like no gain.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

when you turn a stock champ up it goes fart fart fart fart poop.
the vox ac4tv doesn't have that problem. it's a much sturdy enclosure.
the champ 600 enclosure feels like plasticy.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Id rather have the MG than the champ 600.

At least it sounds equally as sterile and boring while having an EQ and distortion.

Thought id come stir some shit up.

Get a vox AC4, Epi VJ or any other 5 watt valve amp with a speaker bigger than an ants nipple.
Quote by B.Renegades
Any reccomendations?

I can eventually replace the speaker, I mean, speakers don't cost too much.

I'm starting to get a bit more money comming in, I currently have a part-time job.

Even with a speaker upgrade it wont likely give you the tone you're looking for. There's not much point buying an amp then buying a new speaker when you can just spend the money on an amp that will do what you want from the get go.
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
as far as Vox AC4TV or Epi VJr goes, those are a bit out of my price range.

I really dont want to spend more than 200. REALLY don't want to. And by that i mean, I won't. 250 including a good overdive pedal.

Any other suggestions besides the Champ 600 then? Because so far it seems like my best bet other than maybe a Bugera V5.

EDIT: On second thought, I think the Bugera would be a bit better choice. Bigger speaker and it actually has some control over the tone besides volume.
Last edited by B.Renegades at Jul 1, 2010,
Honestly, $200 for an amp you are going to use in a band is kind of like asking for orange juice from a lemon. I'm not trying to be confrontational, but sometimes you just have to wait for what's best for your needs rather than get something sub-par and try to make additions to make it suit you. I learned this the hard way.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Last edited by sg4ever at Jul 1, 2010,
Quote by sg4ever
Honestly, $200 for an amp you are going to use in a band is kind of like asking for orange juice from a lemon. I'm not trying to be confrontational, but sometimes you just have to wait for what's best for your needs rather than get something sub-par and try to make additions to make it suit you. I learned this the hard way.

It really isn't. Its just me on guitar/voc and my brother on drums, and all he's using is a cheap $100 drum set from Musicians Friend (he's only like 5 feet tall). For real tho, a Bugera V5 with an Ibanez TS9 should nail the tone I'm after perfectly, after hearing all the demos, reviews, etc.

I'm almost 16, and by then i'll be able to get a more auto-related job and a much more substantiated income. This Bugera V5 will really only be until I can afford like a Fender Twin Reverb or some other nice Fender amp.
A Twin or other Fender is completely wrong for shred. And don't be surprised if a 5w amp barely makes it over the drums. It's a good bedroom set up but not really suitable for a band situation unless it's miced.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Page 1 of 4