I've been playing guitar for about a year, and by playing, I just mean looking up the tabs/chords to songs I like pretty much. Basic generic memorization, not really playing. I became bored of that and now am trying to learn some solid music theory. I've tabbed out some real basic songs before, and am sort of alright at recognizing different pitch intervals.

Now here's my biggest question For the past week I've been trying to remember the major scale by the CAGED method, you remember 5 patterns and the roots for each one to make up the entire scale on the fretboard. I find this very tedious and unbearable since I'm going to have to do this for all of the other modes and scales. Not only do I have to memorize each 5 patterns for each one, I have to remember their order, and I really don't see myself breaking out of the vertical patterns any time soon. I've memorized 4/5 of the E major scale patterns and cannot for the life of me break out of the 4 to 5 fret long box.

So its either remembering the patterns, or I thought of this. I would learn the position of each note on the fretboard, up to the 12th fret of course. Then I would learn each of the key signatures and apply them to each scale, since I know that for example in the Dorian mode, the 3rd and 7th notes are lowered a half step. If I just apply those kind of rules to each key for each new scale, think I'll learn the scales effectively? This sounds longer initially but way more useful in the long run. What do you think?
you should just learn the notes each scale/mode has instead of the pattern
Don't think of scales as patterns, they're just notes. Learn the fretboard if you didn't already and the theory behind the scales.
Alright, thanks guys, I thought learning the notes was the right thing to do, just wanted comfirmation because I'm very new to all of this. When I tried to learn scales as patterns I felt very lost and hopeless, now I feel better with notes.

But anyway, I should I learn key signatures before scales?

and...

Can anyone provide any links to videos or websites explaining the theory behind scales/modes, I only understand so far they're a group of notes that sound good together and provide a distinguishable feeling.
believe it or not u can actually know how to play every single mode in any key buy just knowing one mode. i base everything i know off of A minor. The only thing I memorized on guitar is the A natural minor scale all over the entire neck. there are some really cool tricks you can do.
If you have a solid understanding of notes/intervals (and maybe the circle of fifths, although I don't think it's essential), you shouldn't have a hard time working with scales.

As long as you know the formula for the scale (e.g. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 or 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7) you should be able to play that up and down the neck by saying "the b3 of __ is __" or whatever.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
If you have a solid understanding of notes/intervals (and maybe the circle of fifths, although I don't think it's essential), you shouldn't have a hard time working with scales.

As long as you know the formula for the scale (e.g. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 or 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7) you should be able to play that up and down the neck by saying "the b3 of __ is __" or whatever.

Okay cool, and I can remember the particular notes from 1-7 by knowing the key signatures, right?
Quote by Kingroyw
I find this very tedious and unbearable since I'm going to have to do this for all of the other modes and scales.

Well, once you've learned the major scale, all you'll need to do is alter the appropriate intervals to use a new scale. This is far more effective in my mind than trying to memorize every scale you want to use. Instead, you'll just memorize scale formulas.
Oh yeah.

Quote by hildesaw
A minor is the saddest of all keys.

EDIT: D minor is the saddest of all keys.