I play a lot of classic rock, ska, punk, and new wave/indie music. However I find myself having trouble finding out what is absolutely necessary to have on a pedalboard. I have already bought myself a VOX Wah and Boss OS-2. What other pedals are must haves?
I called myself Joe Strummer 'cos I could either play all six strings at once, or none of them at all.

-Joe Strummer

She had to go 'cos she didn't know who Joe Strummer was.
Quote by Ziggy of Mars
I play a lot of classic rock, ska, punk, and new wave/indie music. However I find myself having trouble finding out what is absolutely necessary to have on a pedalboard. I have already bought myself a VOX Wah and Boss OS-2. What other pedals are must haves?

EQ, Noise Suppressor.
No pedal is a must have, if you feel that the music you play needs to have some effect in it then you can get one, but unless you're playing nothing but Pink Floyd then you don't "have" to have pedals.

Well you have a wah, and a form of gain pedal.

The only pedal i'd consider to be on every pedalboard is a tuner, unless you have some other tuning device.
My ideal pedalboard is in my sig, that's for trance/dance music mostly though. It differs from person to person. Go to a guitar shop to try some out, or look at demo videos and reiviews and such online. See what suits you.

My pedalboard will ****ing rule btw.
Alright man, sounds good to me. I guess its all just whether I'm even going to use it or not. I planned on getting a chorus, delay and a reverb. I might get a tuner later on as well. I guess my real question is whether some of the exotic effects like flanger or phaser need to be on a pedalboard. And what does an EQ actually do?
I called myself Joe Strummer 'cos I could either play all six strings at once, or none of them at all.

-Joe Strummer

As far as I know, you can use an EQ to boost your sound or provide a different tone, not entirely sure though. As for phaser, flanger etc., just listen to some or somehow get to try one and see if you could use that in someway. They're not really essential though, but can be really cool as a subtle and "in-your-face" effect.

EDIT: About tuners, I personally prefer the tuners that clip on to your headstock. Much cheaper and still usable regardless of background noise. You can get them for like £20 max.
Last edited by homeless-john at Jul 1, 2010,
Well as others stated, pedals are not necessary. How ever some common effects include a noise suppressor, Chorus pedal, delay pedal, Reverb (if you have an amp that does not have reverb or if you seek more control over your reverb). Another good one is a tuning pedal, if you use multiple tunings and only have 1 or two guitars.
Quote by Ziggy of Mars
And what does an EQ actually do?

You know those knobs that say "high, mid, bass" on the amp? It's like that but more detailed to give you more control over your tone.
Eq, Noise suppressor, flange or chorus, a nice reverb. Oh and a compressor.

^That's what I'd buy if I was in your situation but wasn't worrying about money.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
You play punk, right? Generally speaking, you won't see Refused, Minor Threat, or Fugazi playing U2-ish delay sections, with a lush chorus over the top. In other words, you don't have to have a "pedalboard" to be a musician.

In fact, you won't see Metallica or The Offspring with an enormous fuck-off board, full of obscure finds. He might have a delay and an overdrive / fuzz pedal, that's it. Buy what you need.

Speaking of which, do you find yourself requiring additional gain from your amp? Do you feel that it doesn't cut-through the mix very well? Is it lacking depth? I think it's important to answer those questions before deciding that you need a pedalboard.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
You play punk, right? Generally speaking, you won't see Refused, Minor Threat, or Fugazi playing U2-ish delay sections, with a lush chorus over the top. In other words, you don't have to have a "pedalboard" to be a musician.

I understand where you're coming from, punk is my forte, but my band as well as I like and play many styles of music, so it's just extra insurance for all the songs we play and now gives me the option of switching easily in the middle of a song rather than going to my amp to switch channels and effects. Luckily, I'm getting a new tube amp within the next month.

-Joe Strummer

EQ and Compression I would say are pretty essential.

Reverb comes close behind them but a lot of amps have inbuilt which is fine.

Then comes Delay / Wah which are important depending on styles you play.

Then you have the particulars that you're after - Choruses / Flange / Phaser etc.

Overdrive / Distortion pedals may be necessary depending on your tastes as well. A decent tube amp may give you the drive you want. They're not necessarily essential though, more of a taste thing/whether you're happy with your tone.

What I'm looking for at the moment which will sort me out is a Wah and a Chorus pedal. Possibly a reverb with some settings to play around with. When I have those I'd say that's my ideal pedalboard.
Last edited by Duv at Jul 1, 2010,
I see you have a CS-3, are they pretty nice? I've been finding a lot of them on craigslist for real cheap prices.

-Joe Strummer

Quote by Ziggy of Mars
I understand where you're coming from, punk is my forte, but my band as well as I like and play many styles of music, so it's just extra insurance for all the songs we play and now gives me the option of switching easily in the middle of a song rather than going to my amp to switch channels and effects. Luckily, I'm getting a new tube amp within the next month.
I personally think it's very important to first understand the tone and features of your amp before purchasing any pedals. I made that mistake and now regret it. I wasn't experienced enough with my Soldano (it is currently in another country), went ahead and bought €1000 worth of effects, and ended up selling some of them. Not necessarily because they were crap - far from it in fact - but it was because they just failed to fill in the holes that most amps have. And now it's hard - because of the economic crisis - to sell the pedals at a price I'm willing to accept.

So take your time, that's all I'm really saying.

I personally think the most important pedals are delay and overdrive - both of which have parameters that can be tweaked to actually correct any misgivings in your amp and guitar, not just add another layer.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Not one pedal is necessary. It's what you want, not what the rest of the world uses.

I'm getting a bit tired of these questions.

Completly agree, it's actually quite ridiculous, I yet again encourage people who ask stupid questions like this, to read the quote in my sig.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Depends on the person. I use Midi so my ideal pedalboard is just a midi board and expression pedal...... Simplicity is best for me as I do not have the physique to tap dance!
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
very basic? get a power source like a 1 spot, a delay pedal, tuner pedal, and some form of boost pedal
It's all making sense now. just buy what I'm going to use. Luckily I've been getting my pedals off of craigslist and have gotten both of my stompboxes for half price. But as I understand it, I don't need to be a compulsive buyer. Either way, I've decided to go through with both the chorus and delay, and wait on reverb until I get my new amp.

-Joe Strummer

Classic rock really only *needs* a wah, maybe a fuzz if it's Hendrix or phaser if it's VH or middle period Rolling Stones.

That's about it.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.