Ive been thinking about making myself a bass for a long time, and have decided that I want to build a Jazz bass. I'd like it to be as simple as possible to make with no routing or drilling or anything. i dont really care about pickups, pots and anything else to be honest. I'd like it to be finished in candy apple red, with a white pickguard, maple neck and id like the hardware to be chrome. would i be able to get a prewired pickguard assembly? and can someone just run me through how i would build it? cheers.
EDIT: Yeah i forgot to mention im in the uk. By the way, how much would a pre-routed body be?
Last edited by JD2k9 at Jul 1, 2010,
You'd need to do routing. Do some research online for how build it, there's tons of resources.

Depending on how you did it, plan on spending $300-$600. Yes you can get prewired electronics. It'd be fun to learn to DIY if interested, it's pretty easy. If you're a little more specific we can help you out a little more.
Check out http://www.diyguitarshop.co.uk/kits.htm

All that would really be left to do is buy a replacement pickguard, shape the headstock, apply finish and assemble.

Could work out cheaper than sourcing parts seperately and would be a good base for you to mod later with better pickups, pots etc.
If you wanted to do that you'd would have to buy:
(finished unless you want to paint it) body, neck, tuners, bridge, strings, solderless pickup kit if there is a such thing, knobs, nut (maybe), and you would just screwdrive everything in. There's no fun in that build your own from scrathc
do dimarzio do solderless pickguards for jazz bass? if so then i might get one and one of the kits from diyguitarshop.
Quote by JD2k9
Ive been thinking about making myself a bass for a long time, and have decided that I want to build a Jazz bass. I'd like it to be as simple as possible to make with no routing or drilling or anything. i dont really care about pickups, pots and anything else to be honest. I'd like it to be finished in candy apple red, with a white pickguard, maple neck and id like the hardware to be chrome. would i be able to get a prewired pickguard assembly? and can someone just run me through how i would build it? cheers.
EDIT: Yeah i forgot to mention im in the uk. By the way, how much would a pre-routed body be?

The DIY kits are a great idea if you are on a budget, but you would probably want to replace the electronics and perhaps the hardware, they are cheap for a reason.

There are other ways.

What is your budget?
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
I dont really have any money at the minute, its just an idea for when i do get some. but maybe up to about £200.