I've been playing for two years now. I'm a decent player and can learn chops pretty easily if their in the intermediate range. My legato could use work but it's not bad. Arpeggios are pretty easy to me and I can sweep to a point even though I don't like nor use the technique much. I'm more of a blues player (sigh) but don't harass me for that.

The problem is: I know no theory. At all really. I always told myself I'd rather play guitar and enjoy not being very good rather than learn and play something else someone created. It was sort of my way of getting my on feel and groove.
I've haven't memorized any chords really besides very very basic ones and I have no clue what the difference between modes, scales and keys etc. is. All the lesson here are like a giant blur to my eyes. I've tried to learn theory many times, but then I just go back to playing my basic pentatonic scales. Go figure.

Soo.. Does anyone have any recommendations, advice, tips.. or could anyone point me in the right direction to a program (not like a pc program, like exercises and theory learning )
Anything would be greatly appreciated. I know I could be a lot better after two years, instead of playing the same licks over and over.

More info: I player everything besides death metal. Hard rock, jazz, blues, etc etc. I'm playing on a MIM strat through a Vk112 with a badmonkey. Yeah don't harass me about my gear either. It was my first real equipment and I don't think it's all that bad. A lot of people are pricks and tear people apart because I'm not playing on a Gibson with gold strings through a Dr. Z made of pure money.
Baxter, you know I don't speak spanish.
Just do what you can best, i know no scales, chords at all, but i am able to play and jam to anything without any problem with chords, scales, anything, all around the neck. Although i could play with bit theory and i know some theory (basic chords/scales), i find it easier to just play because i don't have to pay attention to theory while i think of certain melody. If you can play without making mistakes you should concentrate on that, however, if you want to become a bit more ''proffessional'' you should learn theory for sure, it can make things much more simple.

Get to know how scales are built, how chords and progressions are constructed, what are modes, some sheet reading etc. You should learn learn basic theory.
Learn the notes on the neck.

Just start from the major scale, look at the C major scale. Try to discover its modes, chords and so on, try to construct that scale on the guitar neck. There are a lot of lessons on UG and elsewhere.

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/ - will come in handy.

PS: Im the drunkest man on earth, at the moment.
Live each day as if its your last.
Last edited by Coup de Grace at Jul 1, 2010,
Thanks coup but the point of this is to learn the theory. And yeah thats a great site I use it when jamming to random backing tracks.

And thanks pwrmax I'll take a look at it.
Quote by pwrmax
www.musictheory.net

They have more visual lessons, instead of just text.

This is awesome man. I'm in the healing process of broken wrist (sorta detrimental to guitar playing) and you just occupied the next 2 months of my life. I thank you.
In this economy, no one is going to slam you for your equipment. I lost my stacks and to play my strat, I use a cool USB cord to plug into the computer and use FL Studio and others. They have some cool guitar options on there. Hardcore is an awesome plug-in for FL Studio. Can get hundreds of guitar sounds and digital pedals. If you got a good sound system..it's better than any amp.

But I've been playing mostly acoustic lately.

As far as theory, learn some, man. PM me and I can help if you wish.
bump. any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
I forgot to add: i know this it's hard to teach theory. I don't want to know everything. I just want to know what the hell someone is talking about when they say play "I'll start in _____ mode" or "on the _____ scale" or better yet"in the key of ______"
Quote by Deezy
I'm more of a blues player (sigh) but don't harass me for that.

I'll harass you for the sigh if you like? What was that for?!

I always teach "theory" alongside "practical" as I can't see any real difference between the two other than: theory is WHAT you're playing, practical is HOW to play it.

Just don't learn to play stuff you don't understand

I assume you can play songs? Do you know what key those songs are in? I suggest you learn the major scale (how it's constructed, how to play it, the chords therein etc,). It all pretty much follows on from there.
The musictheory.net site posted above should cover all your basic theory. Also I'd suggest staying away from modes before you have a solid grasp on tonal music or you're likely to get pretty confused. Modes aren't really something I'd say is basic theory, but they are a relatively simple concept once you understand them properly.

The site will cover scales, keys, chords and most other things you'll need to know to get a great start on learning theory and if you have any questions we'd be glad to help out here
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
problem is.. i have no clue how to read anything on that site. Where should I start?
Quote by Deezy
problem is.. i have no clue how to read anything on that site. Where should I start?

Click on the lessons tab and start at the beginning. The first set of them is mainly for reading sheet music so if you have no interest in that, skip to the second set of them (starts at steps and accidentals). I recommend learning all of the lessons though because you never know when a little extra knowledge can come in handy.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
Quote by FacetOfChaos
Click on the lessons tab and start at the beginning. The first set of them is mainly for reading sheet music so if you have no interest in that, skip to the second set of them (starts at steps and accidentals). I recommend learning all of the lessons though because you never know when a little extra knowledge can come in handy.

Also, try to apply each lesson to the guitar in some way. If it can't be done, then just move on to the next one.

For example, when I learned specific intervals, I taught myself how to play all the intervals on guitar. Sure, it takes a bit of extra thinking, but you will have wasted less time if you do this. (Even if if it does not feel so!)
Learn the chromatic scale if you don't already do, then the major scale. Once you got that down, you can start learning chords(not only chords patterns, but also how they are made and everything).

I just watched Marty Friedman's Melodic control, and it helped me a LOT. I'm finally starting to understand... But you do need to have a basic knowledge of theory(major scale). The video made me figure out chords aren't only chords you strum, they are included in everything, a lot in solos specially.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?s=The+Ultimate+Guide+To+Guitar&w=columns

read those articles. it teaches u basic music theory such as intervals, major scale, chord construction, chord progression, modes etc. it's not as hard as u think. read like 1-2 articles per day and by 2 weeks, u'll know more theory than u do now.
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by holycow
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?s=The+Ultimate+Guide+To+Guitar&w=columns

read those articles. it teaches u basic music theory such as intervals, major scale, chord construction, chord progression, modes etc. it's not as hard as u think. read like 1-2 articles per day and by 2 weeks, u'll know more theory than u do now.

thanks i'm liking this one.