So im wondering... What is so different about a MIA Fender to a Squire? I mean my squire jazz cost me 150 pounds new a MIA jazz costs like what 800 pounds new?

Is there really that much difference between the two to make you want to pay that extra 650 pounds? Is it really worth it?

I dont meen to look like a complete noob, but hey, i am and i just want to know about this kinda stuff
Sorry if this has been poste before...
Pretty much everything but the looks.

The electronics, the build quality, the neck, the pickups and pretty much everything else will be much, much better on the MIA.

Try them and you should see.
Better components, build quality, etc. It all adds up. All though American Fenders are way over priced, you're mostly paying for the name. There are a lot of differences between a Squire and an MIA though.

Quote by Small Print
Pretty much everything but the looks.

The electronics, the build quality, the neck, the pickups and pretty much everything else will be much, much better on the MIA.

Try them and you should see.

Not strictly true, every MIA I've played has a had a smaller and more rounded body
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Last edited by fleajr_1412 at Jul 1, 2010,
the american fender will simply be better in all categories excepting price.
Quote by fleajr_1412

Not strictly true, every MIA I've played has a had a smaller and more rounded body

Well, if you want to be picky :P

I'm not lucky enough to be in the position to even consider buying a bass of that price, so I don't spend too much time around them

I've played a couple though, and they just feel so nice in my hands, where as some Squiers (particularly the lower level Squiers) feel horrid. Played some nice Squiers too though.
So its just generaly better quality all round?
Because i mean i borrowed this guys Geddy Lee for a recording and it felt really nice, the neck was really nice to play but, that was the only thing that stood out greatly to me... i mean the pick ups sounded abit nicer but is it really worth all that extra money?
Quote by SamWhiteBASS
So its just generaly better quality all round?
Because i mean i borrowed this guys Geddy Lee for a recording and it felt really nice, the neck was really nice to play but, that was the only thing that stood out greatly to me... i mean the pick ups sounded abit nicer but is it really worth all that extra money?

That depends. Is having a high quality instrument important to you?
Well yes, but i mean 650 pounds is quite alot of money and is it really 650 pounds better than a squire... i mean, am i getting my moneys worth with a fender?
Quote by pwrmax
The Geddy Lee one is Japanese, I think ... not too sure.

I think the one i played was a MIA but im not so sure... It id feel very nice, im just debaiting if its nice enough to spend all that extra money on...
Quote by SamWhiteBASS
Well yes, but i mean 650 pounds is quite alot of money and is it really 650 pounds better than a squire... i mean, am i getting my moneys worth with a fender?

If your serious about music, your going to reach a point where you realize that buying an instrument isnt about "getting your monies worth." Its about finding an instrument that you truly like, somewhat regardless of the price tag. Now, we cant all afford to play alembics and foderas, but for a pro level instrument, you can expect to spend about $1,000-$2,000 dollars (however many pounds)

What Im getting at is that if you really love your music, youll find a way to get the 650 pounds. But if its just a hobby, youll be fine with the squire
You get what you pay for. An MIA is made of good-quality alder, the electronics far outclass a Squier, the neck (at least on the newer ones) is reinforced with graphite rods, the hardware is all much higher quality, etc. The MIA is simply a much higher quality bass, and the quality control is much much much more consistent on MIA instruments then MIM or Squier.

EDIT: also, the Geddy Lee sig is MIJ, but MIJ is right up there with MIA instruments quality-wise
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
go to a music store and compare yourself, dude! the wood is much better, pickups, neck pretty much everything feels and sounds better.
The reasons the pickups didn't sound that much better is probably because of the amp you were using. a squire through a squire amp will sound similar to a MIA through a squire amp. Now if you were playing through a Ampeg or something you would probably be able to her the difference more.
no sir away a papaya war is on
Let's make it easy

"Hey Sam, wow is that a Fender you've got there?"
"No, it's a Squire."
"Oh..."

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Quote by Bassist Rising
Let's make it easy

"Hey Sam, wow is that a Fender you've got there?"
"No, it's a Squire."
"Oh..."

+1

You have a point there, But obviously thats not a real reason to buy a fender
Obviously ide love to have one because its beter and i know it, its just they dont seem THAT much better...

Quote by the_perdestrian
The reasons the pickups didn't sound that much better is probably because of the amp you were using. a squire through a squire amp will sound similar to a MIA through a squire amp. Now if you were playing through a Ampeg or something you would probably be able to her the difference more.

Its not the amp i can promise you that... i played a few guitars at a local shop, a Squre Jazz Bass, a Mexican Jazz Bass and an American Standard... All through a big ashdown stack. Now obviously through a good amp the squire will sound better, but so should the others right? But anyway, i know what my squire souns and feels like and compared to the Mex Jazz, there was very little difference. Do you think i will have just got a good squire or a bad mex or is this usual? And the American one i played was noticbly better i have to say, it was alot nicer to play and sounded better, just they seemed way over priced for what they are.
I played these more recently than the ones i orgianly spoke about and the squire was £150, they mex was £500, and the american was £1030... It just seems like they are charging way too much than they should be :/
The Squier is a lot better made then what they used to. So I wouldn't be surprised if you feel that the Squier feels sturdy. But compared to Fender, Squier uses a cheaper wood like basswood and agathis vs Alder on Fenders. Basswood doesn't sound worse than alder, but they're more readily available, and cheaper to obtain. Also, Squier instruments are made in Indonesia, and Fender is made in US. The cost of labor, logistics, and material cost reflects highly on why American made products are more expensive than Asia.
its def better quality, it just looks and is more proffesional, the neck and fingerboard are much better and less prone to warping.
Spoon + Pen = Spen
Quote by HJS >.>
What would be the best bass string size to play something like Slipknot

Quote by Brad_Bassist
No strings. If you're playing Slipknot, you don't deserve strings.
Quote by SamWhiteBASS
You have a point there, But obviously thats not a real reason to buy a fender
Obviously ide love to have one because its beter and i know it, its just they dont seem THAT much better...

When it comes to Squier vs. MIM Fender, it really depends on the bass. There are gems in the Squier lines that rival the MIM's, and there are lemons among the MIM's that could barely be better then an Affinity.

MIA's on the other hand, are a whole league above any Squier or MIM Fender (unless it was one hell of a special MIM, and it was compared to a lemon of an MIA). Spend enough time playing Fender's and Squier's, and you'll start to see why they are THAT much better then their lower-end counterparts, and why the MIA's cost so much more.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
When it comes to Squier vs. MIM Fender, it really depends on the bass. There are gems in the Squier lines that rival the MIM's, and there are lemons among the MIM's that could barely be better then an Affinity.

MIA's on the other hand, are a whole league above any Squier or MIM Fender (unless it was one hell of a special MIM, and it was compared to a lemon of an MIA). Spend enough time playing Fender's and Squier's, and you'll start to see why they are THAT much better then their lower-end counterparts, and why the MIA's cost so much more.

So you are saying a fender would grow on me? Like it takes a while to notice the difference but once you notice it it is quite substantial?
^ sort of. It's the same for any bass really, but it takes some time to get to know the bass. The more you play Squiers, MIM's, and MIA's, the more you'll notice little differences between them, and in how they play and feel. After enough time, and after playing enough basses from all three tiers, you'll start to see that the MIA's are much more consistent on quality, and that they are substantially better sounding/playing/put together/etc. Once you take economics into account, you can pretty much justify the price tag on the MIA's.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Righttt ok, well i understand a little more now...
But in all fairness the bass im concidering getting is a Geddy Lee custom which i think... is a MIJ
How do these fair against MIM & MIA?
And yeah i do understand where you are coming from actually, before my squire i was playing a cheep stagg i hadd in school... and i didnt really notice the difference to start with but now i wouldnt toutch that stagg if you payed me...
Also remember that different ranges of the Fender/Squier lines differ quality, so don't automatically assume that all MIAs are better than all MIMs or whatever. For example, I have a MIM Classic 70s Reissue Jazz, which I feel is better than the American standard basses (except for maybe the bridge), and many people agree as you can see from a quick google search, they have consistently excellent reviews. I've also read that the parts are MIA then shipped to Mexico to be put together (this may not be true, I hope it is though ) But obviously as all this is subjective, you may disagree. Just try as many basses as you can and see what's best for yourself, regardless of where it's made. Just make sure that the range is consistent, so if you try a bass in a shop and like it, you'll get a bass of a similar quality if you were to buy online instead
The Geddy Lee is in fact MIJ. MIJ Fenders are top notch quality, about the same as an MIA. I believe, however, they have slightly cheaper hardware and pickups then their American-made brethren, but its nothing that can't be easily replaced down the line if you feel you need to upgrade.

Have you played a Geddy Lee before? I just ask because the neck is so little, you kind of either love it or hate it.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Quote by Tostitos
The Geddy Lee is in fact MIJ. MIJ Fenders are top notch quality, about the same as an MIA. I believe, however, they have slightly cheaper hardware and pickups then their American-made brethren, but its nothing that can't be easily replaced down the line if you feel you need to upgrade.

Have you played a Geddy Lee before? I just ask because the neck is so little, you kind of either love it or hate it.

I thought as much, ive heard good things about MIJ fenders, And yeah i have played one before and yeah i notied the neck was uite narrow i guess? But i loved it, me not being the tallest person it the world it accomodates quite well really
But basicly, i fell in love with that bass the day i played it Its beautiful
The most important thing regarding an upgrade is how well it will sound through your existing amp, an expensive Bass will sound cheap through a cheap amp whereas a buget Squire bass will sound quite reasonable through a decent amp.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
The most important thing regarding an upgrade is how well it will sound through your existing amp, an expensive Bass will sound cheap through a cheap amp whereas a buget Squire bass will sound quite reasonable through a decent amp.

Again, the amp is no big worry, at home ive only got a crappy behringer amp... but whenever i play gigs i use my uncles trace elliot, so i dont have to worry about an amp that thing is beautiful
So at the moment, ide rather get a nice guitar and run it through my uncles nice amp than run an alright guitar through a nice amp :/
Quote by SamWhiteBASS

Its not the amp i can promise you that... i played a few guitars at a local shop, a Squre Jazz Bass, a Mexican Jazz Bass and an American Standard... All through a big ashdown stack.

There's your problem, Good amp yes, but it also doesn't take much of the bass into the sound, you could play any kind of bass through one of them and it will still give a pretty good sound, ala the ashdown.

But if you do love your music and want to commit everything, you wont even consider the price, you look at the instrument, you choose what you want and you will find a way to afford it.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
i agree with the "if you love your music you wont worry about the price"...
kinda
first i owned a squier p.. ehh okay bass
when i really started noticing sound differences, wood quality, playability...etc. on basses i saved up for a new fender..
i would have loved an MIA p bass, but in the end i got myself a MIM p bass special.
obviously its not the top of the line fender but it plays soooooooooooooooooo much better than the old squier (which now only has the original body)
point being if the money isnt as easily attainable as some people make it seem then an MIM could be an option they are still really good just not as freakinjg OMG im awesome as an MIA....
but on he other hand i do know what they mean about not caring about the price tag, ive been trying to make my perfect bass but every so often ill hit a point were ill be all "oh sh*t why did i buy this bridge (which would fit and work as perfectly as anyone could ask for)" when i think a badassIII would be better,
yeah i wasted $50 on a bridge ill probably never use
and now i have to find about $120 to get the BadassIII
but you know what.. its MY perfect bass, so i dont care ill wait until i get that money

in all man, sometimes you gotta pull out all the stops if your going for something you really want (ie. your ideal/perfect bass)
and sometimes you might have to settle just a bit

if you do settle try to get as close to that ideal bass that as you can and it won be a huge dissapointment, who knws maybe that settlement will hepl you realize what you truly want... thats how it was for me

.... sorry for wall of text

Telecaster bass :
FINALLY PLAYABLE!
[x]body
[x]neck
[x]humbucker
[x]jazz pup
[x]split p pups
[x]hardware
[x]bridge
[x]pickguard
[ ]finish/paint
[x]wiring/electronics
Quote by killcram187
i agree with the "if you love your music you wont worry about the price"...
kinda
first i owned a squier p.. ehh okay bass
when i really started noticing sound differences, wood quality, playability...etc. on basses i saved up for a new fender..
i would have loved an MIA p bass, but in the end i got myself a MIM p bass special.
obviously its not the top of the line fender but it plays soooooooooooooooooo much better than the old squier (which now only has the original body)
point being if the money isnt as easily attainable as some people make it seem then an MIM could be an option they are still really good just not as freakinjg OMG im awesome as an MIA....
but on he other hand i do know what they mean about not caring about the price tag, ive been trying to make my perfect bass but every so often ill hit a point were ill be all "oh sh*t why did i buy this bridge (which would fit and work as perfectly as anyone could ask for)" when i think a badassIII would be better,
yeah i wasted $50 on a bridge ill probably never use
and now i have to find about $120 to get the BadassIII
but you know what.. its MY perfect bass, so i dont care ill wait until i get that money

in all man, sometimes you gotta pull out all the stops if your going for something you really want (ie. your ideal/perfect bass)
and sometimes you might have to settle just a bit

if you do settle try to get as close to that ideal bass that as you can and it won be a huge dissapointment, who knws maybe that settlement will hepl you realize what you truly want... thats how it was for me

.... sorry for wall of text

I completly agree there, its a noticble difference and if i wanna get that im going to have to just put up with the price tag... I still think they are abit pricey for what they are... but hey, what can you do? :/ if i wanna get the perfect sound i want and get the bass i truly want i will just deal with cost Thankyou everyone
Quote by ZaccB
But if you do love your music and want to commit everything, you wont even consider the price, you look at the instrument, you choose what you want and you will find a way to afford it.

So how much would you pay?
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
So how much would you pay?

To obtain my perfect bass I'd sell my car and take the bus for it.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"