Page 1 of 3
How do you get noticed on stage?
Apart from your music, what do you do to draw a crowd and make sure that crowd remembers you?

What is your opinion of the people that slice themselves/set themselves on fire on stage, etc?
Personally if I saw someone cutting them self on stage I would enjoy it, it would make for a good show, and you are there to be entertained.

Would you be impressed or think 'wow, this guy is a dick'?
Walk in front of the lead singer in the middle of any song, and stand there with your dick out.

Also there's a neat vid of brock isaac from modest mouse cutting his arm with a pocket knife he got from the audience.
Last edited by stratkat at Jul 1, 2010,
While you're shredding the fastest solo ever, go over to the rhythm guitarist and strike up a conversation.
Quote by Casketcreep
How do you get noticed on stage?
Apart from your music, what do you do to draw a crowd and make sure that crowd remembers you?

What is your opinion of the people that slice themselves/set themselves on fire on stage, etc?
Personally if I saw someone cutting them self on stage I would enjoy it, it would make for a good show, and you are there to be entertained.

Would you be impressed or think 'wow, this guy is a dick'?

Never understood bloodletting on stage myself.

I'm of the opinion that if you can't put on a good show without preparing stunts like this then you'll never do it with them. They supplement a good performance but a good performance should always be what you want first.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
if u take all ur clothes and shit on the stage, i'm pretty sure everyone will remember you
simple.
Cockswing while soloing behind your head.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by MyS3lF
if u take all ur clothes and shit on the stage, i'm pretty sure everyone will remember you

It worked for GG Allin
Begin again in the night, let's sway again tonight.
Your arm on my shoulder, your cheek against mine.
Where can we go, when will we find that, we know.
COMMUNICATE WITH THE CROWD!

Give the ones close to the stage high fives, talk to them a little between songs, etc. Its everyones dream to be a rockstar; when your onstage, your living their dream. Therefore, they think you are the coolest person in the world; and theres nothing that feels better than someone really cool telling you your cool. See what Im sayin TS?

So like I said, high fives, small talk, ask them yes/no/short answer questions, have conversations between sets, get them to sing along, hell, let them come onstage if your daring.

One stage move thats always gets a crowd pumped in my experience is to wait for a part of the song where the whole band is holding out a long note, and then crouch down near the end of the stage and let the audience strum the chord while you finger it
Last edited by tubatom868686 at Jul 1, 2010,
while in mid-solo, i would re-tie both of my shoes
If The Sun Refused To Shine
I Would Still Be Loving You
Mountains Crumble To The Sea
There Would Still Be You And Me

My Stuff
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Roland Cube 30X
Washburn Acoustic
Dunlop CryBaby
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Never understood bloodletting on stage myself.

I'm of the opinion that if you can't put on a good show without preparing stunts like this then you'll never do it with them. They supplement a good performance but a good performance should always be what you want first.

Well I wasn't suggesting that cutting was a substitute for the music, but stage presence is very important.
Quote by stratkat
Also there's a neat vid of brock isaac from modest mouse cutting his arm with a pocket knife he got from the audience.

yes, but iirc it was during one of his psychotic episodes and he was pulled off the stage, ending the concert as a result.
Remember through sounds
Remember through smells
Remember through colors
Remember through towns
-Modest Mouse, "Novocaine Stain"
Quote by GezzyDiversion
I do my famous 'whammy-without-a-whammy-bar' trick

You could do that ?!?!?!?!?!?

JK
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
I've found the most effective way to get noticed on stage is to just rip off my pants and start jacking off into the crowd. The chicks dig man.
Barf

Fender 70's reissue strat
Laney 120 mxd
Morley bad horsie 2
Quote by Casketcreep
Well I wasn't suggesting that cutting was a substitute for the music, but stage presence is very important.

I meant stage presence without antics or props or anything like that, I meant more along the lines of just having presence without having to really force it.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Grapejuiceksjdf
I've found the most effective way to get noticed on stage is to just rip off my pants and start jacking off into the crowd. The chicks dig man.

Already been done.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by rgrockr
Already been done.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Barf

Fender 70's reissue strat
Laney 120 mxd
Morley bad horsie 2
Just dancing around and looking like you're enjoying yourself works amazingly well, no matter who you are. If you enjoy it and your crowd are paying to see you, they'll get into it too.

And like the guy on the last page said, communicate with the crowd and make them feel involved in the gig.

Personally, in solos i tend to sort of throw my guitar vertically with the emphatic notes, then bring it down horizontal again when i'm bringing it down the fretboard. Really simple, but it works. Look energetic and the crowd will love you and you will get pussy. Nuff said.
Quote by Rocker007
Blackrat has won this thread. That is an awsome post.

This was posted right after I posted said post in a completely different thread... Whups.

"There are 3 types of people in this world... Those who can count, and those who can't."
If you are a guitarist...stand center stage and solo the whole way through on every song..never stop even after a song is done. Then do a stage dive and crowd surf...

DO IT!
Me and the bassist usually do this (0:39 seconds) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahNWc6OnNDY
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
The lead guitarist for a band that played at my school had wireless; he used that opportunity to take a lap around the crowd while playing.... I thought it was pretty cool.
in my band we joke with each other and the crowd on stage between songs. creates a family vibe that the crowd wants to be a part of.

we also have jump around a lot while playing. sometimes it's choreographed. we also get them clapping their hands. our last song is a singalong so i move to the back of the stage and let people from the crowd take my vocal mic and sing the song. if there's enough room i'll jump i and sing with them. i also will jump off stage when i can and dance with the crowd.

we also offer a free t-shirt to the person who proves they're having the most fun by dancing and singing. really gets people moving.
#DTWD
I don't have any particular antics, just get lost in the music, and look dapper, like this:

WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
I never prepare stunts, shit just happens. I'm known for smashing my guitar, making weird-ass noises, and getting the crowd to mosh and such. But the question I seem to get before every show is "Hey man, are you gonna smash your guitar tonight?" I don't know! I just do it when I feel like it.
Founder and Gaz of the Jhonen Vasquez/Invader Zim club. PM me to join.

The Metal Militia
"Banging that head that doesn't bang!"

Quote by -Vogel-
All bow down for the mighty Holy Wars
-I sometimes wear corpsepaint (the other guys in the band usually do it with me)

-i've thrown fake blood out into the crowd

-sometimes during one of our songs I'll drop my guitar and let the other guitarist take over while I jump into the crowd and join in the pit

-I'll let a friend of mine from the crowd do the vocals or play guitar for a certain song occasionally

-Hand out wrist bands

-bunch of other stuff that's never really planned

I'm really interactive with the crowd. I want them to have as much fun as I do playing in front of them on stage.
Sail upon the open skies
Last edited by angusfan16 at Jul 1, 2010,
Quote by Casketcreep
I've covered members of the crowd in my own blood.

You definitely have more balls than me then. How'd they react?
Sail upon the open skies
Talk, a lot. That's just what I do... always, anyway, and the mic just makes it louder (including conversations with band members )

Get people clapping when I've got free hands.

Usual guitar movements, when possible, propping foot up on amp is appreciated.

We get the crowd to sing along to our last song, Knocking on H's door, à la Guns, works brilliantly.

And yeah, lots of talking.
Quote by UntilISleep
Play bass/guitar with your dick.

then headbutt the prince of Norway (respect for those that get the reference)

Really I just go apeshit with the music and get as close to the crowd as I can. Seems to do the trick. I always thought if you're needing gimmicks to bring 'em in your not playing well enough to start with
This thread was more me asking about extreme musicians (be that punk, metal or any other style) doing ridiculous things on stage.

Do you approve of GG Allin? Does Kim Carlsson do it for you when he ends a set needing medical attention? When Til Lindemann sets himself on fire are you impressed?

Would you consider going this far on stage?

Personally I will not die happy unless I leave a gig in an ambulance.
Quote by Epicbizzjizz
Um, who the **** cuts there self at a concert??????

Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I seem to remember a thread not too long ago in which a pit monkey came up with an elaborate plan to surgically implant a fuel pipe into their urethra in order to use their penis as a sort of organic pyrotechnics tool.

THAT is showmanship.

Quote by Epicbizzjizz

Iggy Pop has been known to cut himself on stage so hard that he has actually snapped razorblades.
Quote by imdeth
This man deserves my +1

+1

Quote by denizenz
Go in peace my son, and teach to the pit dwellers what I have shown unto you.

ಠ_ಠ

XBL: huffy409
Last edited by [x]Huffy[x] at Jul 1, 2010,
Quote by Epicbizzjizz

Quote by blackenedktulu
CFH82, I love you. I didn't laugh, but my god, I love you.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Holy shit, that was epic. A mighty roar escapeth'd my mouth.

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm
Page 1 of 3