Hi, I'm new to the bass universe and I was wondering if I have to play in certain way.

The arrows in the image show where you can strum, I already got used to play in the upper part but I've seen in most videos that they play in the lower part.

Does it have any difference at all?

Help me please, I use my fingers by the way, in case that has to do with anything.
whats that black thing near the neck, off to the side on the pickguard? looks like a misplaced pickup
Quote by sugirlxz
which is the best music

Quote by Oyface
One tip, don't go to the Pit.
You will get flamed worse than if you actually lived in Hell.
Zombiemonkeys will rape you, and hippos will eat your boogers.
Oh well, looks like I will have to train closer to the bridge from now on.

Thanks.
And jacksonDKMG I have no idea, I took a random bass image from the web.
whats that black thing near the neck, off to the side on the pickguard? looks like a misplaced pickup

Its a finger rest for your fingers, so you play only with your thumb.
Quote by RaLoZ
Hi, I'm new to the bass universe and I was wondering if I have to play in certain way.

The arrows in the image show where you can strum, I already got used to play in the upper part but I've seen in most videos that they play in the lower part.

Does it have any difference at all?

Help me please, I use my fingers by the way, in case that has to do with anything.

First of all, if you are using your fingers you are by default not "strumming"

As to your question, it makes a huge difference in your sound where you articulate. There is no good or bad, and there is no spot that you should be in all the time. Be able to use the different sounds from different areas to your advantage

Quote by jacksonDKMG

Its a thumb rest, contrary to what the name indicates its actually there for a player to rest their four fingers against while they play with their thumb
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Yep, the more towards the middle of the bass you play (around the 12th fret) the more "muddier", thicker the tone gets. The closer to the bridge you get, the punchier, crisper your tone will get. And like said above, it's all about what tone you're going for, and don't think you have to stay in one spot either. Experiment around playing different parts of songs in different places for different tones.

You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
if you play in the part closer to where the strings connect, it makes a pluckier, higher sound. if you play in the middle right over the pickups, you get a more bass-ee and fuller sound. thats really the only difference, and you prolly see people playing that way in videos just because it looks cool. lol
Spoon + Pen = Spen
Quote by HJS >.>
What would be the best bass string size to play something like Slipknot

Quote by Brad_Bassist
No strings. If you're playing Slipknot, you don't deserve strings.
well your tone is better with your fingers..... than with a p pp p p PICK
I'm up for building you a pedal.
(Or modding nearly anything moddable)
(PM Me.)
Quote by evhbrianmay
well your tone is better with your fingers..... than with a p pp p p PICK

that is both wrong (as it is subjective) and has nothing to do with this thread whatsoever
no sir away a papaya war is on
personally i play on the base of my neck when i slap and play fingerstyle but with a pick i find it sounds a little clearer by the bridge. but in the end it depends on you and the bass. just remember as long as your having fun your doing it right
I play with my thumb on the pickup. for my bass atleast, it gives a kinda punchy tone from around the 9th from up or so and I like it
Quote by NotFromANUS
"Don't brutal your sister, Timmy!"

last.fm
The strings are much tighter by the bridge, so if you strum or pick or pluck there you'll get a much more punchy sound. Playing closer to the neck will make your sound much more bassy, if that makes sense. Of course if that is the bass you have, a jazz bass, with those style of pickups, you can really play wherever and adjust the pickups to give you the sound from where ever you want.

Edit:
I just noticed that you have a P-style bass, not a J bass. So yeah, you'll just have to play in different places.
John 3:16 = Truth

Sight reading tableture = Guitar Hero for real guitarists
Last edited by Jasonbts at Jul 2, 2010,
Its about preference really, you could pluck the strings over the fretboard if it felt more comfortable. The sound that you want is also important, but I wouldn't compromise my comfort of playing to get a different sound.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
I use a jazz bass and mostly play over the neck pickup or little bit closer to the neck.
Some times play over the bridge pickup or closer to pickup, depending on the sound i wanna get. I find it a little bit harder to play near bridge.
Sound differs allot by the location your strumming, bridge = more treble, neck = more bass (that what people say, and I think its pretty correct as near bridge you get a punchier, crunchier sound). Sometimes I even play over the neck, because it sounds different.

You may find a need to play in both locations during the same sound, just to get the right tone.

P.S. I play mostly with a pick
it makes a big difference on tone and how it feels, just experiment until you get what seems best
well when I play if there's a phrase that sounds like it needs to be thicker with a bit more low-end, I play it a little closer to the neck and keep going until it sounds right. if the phrase is a little muddy or unclear I go closer to the bridge/work on making sure my articulation is clear. As a personal preference on my Jag, thats got the jazz pups, I'll rest my thumb on the bridge pickup/play closer to the bridge pickup.

It's all about how you think a phrase should sound, but if your that new I'd stick to just playing over the pups (if you have a P bass) until you want to start experimenting with how this will change the sound.

I used to play over the fretboard, still do when I'm cranking some sabbath
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"